Better player

• Nikita Kucherov

Votes: 122 32.7%
  • Evgeni Malkin

Votes: 251 67.3%

• Total voters

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Point's speed and the threat of his speed opens a lot of things up for Kucherov. And the defense and goalie on TB gives him more leeway to cherrypick.

This is just a weird comment, given that Malkin has dominated with bottom 6 players and won the Art Ross and Conn Smythe, while Kucherov has been blessed with great on ice support almost his entire career
Having Sidney Crosby on a powerplay and to eat the top matchups doesn’t hurt.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
What was Malkin's PPG in 11/12 and in 07/08 when Crosby was out of the lineup?
I agree it’d likely be higher if Crosby never existed but at the same time, he was still receiving first line type of ice time throughout his career in a 1B role. As far as linemates, Crosby had Kunitz, Dupuis and Guentzel at even strength, Malkin had Talbot, Neal and Hornqvist. Advantage Crosby but also the tougher matchups (like number one defenseman and matchup center types). That’s not a “nothing”. Obviously playing with each other, the powerplay was always outstanding.

I think if we are getting into things like linemate squabbling we are far beyond the point of “it’s nowhere close”. For how “great” Kucherov’s linemates are, look at the gap between him and his teammates (who are also powerplay 1 players) in production this season.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
I think Malkin has a higher peak, but for prime and career it looks like Kucherov is on track to pass him. I'd say with this year's art ross they're pretty even.

Having Sidney Crosby on a powerplay and to eat the top matchups doesn’t hurt.
Malkin's numbers are significantly higher with Crosby out of the lineup. It's something like 1.15 with and 1.45 without.

Reactions: sanscosm

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad