Contract Termination: Nikita Gusev

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Tampa may be a good place for him play for and a good chance of a cup (we need a playmaker on the top six to replace Johnson), with Kucherov, Sergachev and Vasilevski fellow russians.
Thats likely his spot, he is lifelong pal and frequent teammate of Kuch when younger

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Based on Hischer and Hughes being higher potential prospects than NYR's in my opinion and Zacha finally blossoming into a top six production forward the last two years.

I've been really high on Hischer since I first saw him play though. He reminds me of Kopitar's career arch.

Lol the Rangers have both better high end talent and depth.

There is a minimal difference in potential in Hughes and Hischier and Kakko and Lafreniere.

Zibanejad, Panarin, Buch, Kreider, Chytil, Fox >>>>>> the rest of the Devils roster

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ

There is a minimal difference in potential in Hughes and Hischier and Kakko and Lafreniere.

Zibanejad, Panarin, Buch, Kreider, Chytil, Fox >>>>>> the rest of the Devils roster

In fairness though, he said the "better core moving forward" which doesn't necessarily have a lot to do with current rosters.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Zibanejad, Panarin, Buch, Kreider, Chytil, Fox > the rest of the Devils roster

Hischier blew away what Kakko did in his rookie year in his own.

Zibanejad, Panarin, Buch, Kreider > Age.

That's why I'm talking about their prospect cores moving forward.

I'm talking Hischier, Zacha, Hughes versus whatever the Rags think will be their top 3 Cs.

Maybe the Rangers can be the next Winnipeg Jets though.

New Jersey also looks much better from a cap perspective moving forward.

Reactions: PROMputt

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Hischier blew away what Kakko did in his rookie year in his own.

Zibanejad, Panarin, Buch, Kreider > Age.

That's why I'm talking about their prospect cores moving forward.

I'm talking Hischier, Zacha, Hughes versus whatever the Rags think will be their top 3 Cs.

Maybe the Rangers can be the next Winnipeg Jets though.

New Jersey also looks much better from a cap perspective moving forward.

And I guess the Devils will just be the new Oilers? Except their two players that you keep harping on about won't be anywhere close to McDavid and Draisaitl.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
In fairness though, he said the "better core moving forward" which doesn't necessarily have a lot to do with current rosters.

Moving forward as in the next few seasons... or the next...decade?

Because in this case the latter is clearly what he is talking about. What a joke, this guy is trying to project 5-10 years down the line here. What an awful awful take.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC

Because in this case the latter is clearly what he is talking about. This has to be a joke, this guy is trying to project 5-10 years down the line here.

Scorcho

Twitter @AmateurAdult11
Apr 16, 2010
Space
Tampa may be a good place for him play for and a good chance of a cup (we need a playmaker on the top six to replace Johnson), with Kucherov, Sergachev and Vasilevski fellow russians.
I could see him flourishing in Tampa on a 2million dollar contract

Him and Kuch have history playing together I believe

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ

Because in this case the latter is clearly what he is talking about. This has to be a joke, this guy is trying to project 5-10 years down the line here.

Maybe moving forward as in having a core that you can build a Cup winning team around?

Don't act so outraged like it's some ridiculous take that someone may prefer the Devils Cup trajectory over the Rangers. You've admitted some of the flaws facing the Rangers, such as being caught between winning now versus a "proper" rebuild and some serious question marks at the center position. It's a difference of opinion and completely reasonable.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Maybe moving forward as in having a core that you can build a Cup winning team around?

Don't act so outraged like it's some ridiculous take that someone may prefer the Devils Cup trajectory over the Rangers. You've admitted some of the flaws facing the Rangers, such as being caught between winning now versus a "proper" rebuild and some serious question marks at the center position. It's a difference of opinion and completely reasonable.

This has just been going on for 5 years with the "Devils have a better offensive core than the Rangers" first it was right after the Devils drafted Zacha and traded for Hall and then that 2016/17 season the Rangers had a top 5 offense and the Devils were bottom 5.

Then it was after the Devils made the playoffs, but then followed that up with another bottom 5 finish.

Then it was after acquiring Subban and Gusev and drafting Hughes and yet again the Rangers were better.

So you can't blame me of being tired of this same old act and let's see the Devils actually show SOME progression before we make outlandish claims like the team is 25th and 24th in offense will be better than the team that was 5th and 11th.

It's obvious the Rangers are far ahead of the Devils here. There is no statistical argument to back any claims otherwise. Don't come here with "Hischier looks like a young Kopitar". That is just insane projecting based on absolutely nothing.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
This has just been going on for 5 years with the "Devils have a better offensive core than the Rangers" first it was right after the Devils drafted Zacha and traded for Hall and then that 2016/17 season the Rangers had a top 5 offense and the Devils were bottom 5.

Then it was after the Devils made the playoffs, but then followed that up with another bottom 5 finish.

Then it was after acquiring Subban and Gusev and drafting Hughes and yet again the Rangers were better.

So you can't blame me of being tired of this same old act and let's see the Devils actually show SOME progression before we make outlandish claims like the team is 25th and 24th in offense will be better than the team that was 5th and 11th.

It's obvious the Rangers are far ahead of the Devils here. There is no statistical argument to back any claims otherwise. Don't come here with "Hischier looks like a young Kopitar". That is just insane projecting based on absolutely nothing.

The Rangers are clearly the better team now and I don't see the Devils passing them anytime soon. The question is which team is better poised to be a Cup contender in the next few years? I like the path that the Devils are on now with Fitzgerald - I'll like it even more if they can trade away a few more pending UFA's in the next few days. Tough to think about where they might've been if Shero didn't make the Grabner, Subban or Gusev trades (the last of which was the only one I was in favor of), but here we are.

If I were a Rangers fan, I'd also be extremely happy with their moves the past few years. They would appear to be playoff contenders as early as next season and being in a winning environment may be better long-term for their younger players. They will have some decisions to make though in a few years on how the handle the older players and the cap, but it's a minor concern at this point.

Hopefully Fitz sticks to the rebuild and doesn't try any shortcuts like Shero did. Personally, I like the Devils situation better but I'm biased. I think the lack of any potential "bad" contracts is an advantage, though who knows if/when the Trouba, Kreider or Panarin contracts will come back to haunt the Rangers.

VVP

Oct 7, 2017
Kind of off-topic here but NJ has a horrific roster. There is absolutely not a single player I would want on my team now. Bunch of no-names, overrated goaltending, couple of future high pick busts and that's it. They will probably will have to over achieve a lot in order to even get a sniff at the playoffs in the next 2-3 years.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Kind of off-topic here but NJ has a horrific roster. There is absolutely not a single player I would want on my team now. Bunch of no-names, overrated goaltending, couple of future high pick busts and that's it. They will probably will have to over achieve a lot in order to even get a sniff at the playoffs in the next 2-3 years.

200w.gif

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
wasn't there also a thread about the Rangers having the fastest rebuild ever?

The Rangers will likely miss the playoffs. I think most realistic NYR fans figured they would be borderline. Maybe 60-40 against if I had to pin it at the time.

With that said, the Rangers are going to come on fast. Without some weak goaltending early in the year they’d probably be sitting in Boston’s spot. There defense is coming fast as is there forward depth. The Rangers did have a very fast and productive rebuild. Some of that was smart trading/drafting. Some was dumb luck in the lottery. Obviously you can’t realistically be expecting 18-21 year olds to be leading a charge at this time, but give it a year or two. I think early signs are that LA and NYR have both done a really good job. I’m less high on the Devils overall depth but they have a shot to also develop well.

Last edited:

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
The Rangers are clearly the better team now and I don't see the Devils passing them anytime soon. The question is which team is better poised to be a Cup contender in the next few years? I like the path that the Devils are on now with Fitzgerald - I'll like it even more if they can trade away a few more pending UFA's in the next few days. Tough to think about where they might've been if Shero didn't make the Grabner, Subban or Gusev trades (the last of which was the only one I was in favor of), but here we are.

If I were a Rangers fan, I'd also be extremely happy with their moves the past few years. They would appear to be playoff contenders as early as next season and being in a winning environment may be better long-term for their younger players. They will have some decisions to make though in a few years on how the handle the older players and the cap, but it's a minor concern at this point.

Hopefully Fitz sticks to the rebuild and doesn't try any shortcuts like Shero did. Personally, I like the Devils situation better but I'm biased. I think the lack of any potential "bad" contracts is an advantage, though who knows if/when the Trouba, Kreider or Panarin contracts will come back to haunt the Rangers.

Fair enough. I learned my lesson long ago about trying to project a team or players long term future with how quickly things can change and the "Summer of Shero" is a great example of that.

I do feel good about the Rangers immediate future over the next 3 years though as long as Panarin plays at this level and a solid supporting cast around him we could be right on the cusp of contending in that window.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
lmao dude are u really trying to argue that Zib isn't a 1C?

The Zibanejad of the first half of the season who couldn't go a full game without being caught by MSG cameras wincing in pain on the bench or struggling to catch his breath sure wasn't

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
And the award for the most ignorant comment of the week goes to.....
As a devil fan I am willing to admit that if I had the opportunity to change rosters and futures that the rangers are in right now I would do it faster than you can say Rangers Suck.
Devils have some nice pieces and I am comfortable with the rebuild. But the rangers have one of the best young group of prospects and young players I have seen in my whole life time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad