Contract Termination: Nikita Gusev

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Devils vs Rangers will always be like comparing working hard and earning your $ and being born with a silver spoon in your hand
the Rangers have always been a place players want to go
zero players are like " I'd really love to go to New Jersey"

New Jersey never gets handed players ( Fox) simply because that's the team he wanted go to
New Jersey never signs high-end UFA's ( Panarin ) because they'd rather go to New York

Devils always have to work to get a better team, the Rangers get handed a bunch of talent and feel they've earned it

VVP

Oct 7, 2017
And the award for the most ignorant comment of the week goes to.....
As a devil fan I am willing to admit that if I had the opportunity to change rosters and futures that the rangers are in right now I would do it faster than you can say Rangers Suck.
Devils have some nice pieces and I am comfortable with the rebuild. But the rangers have one of the best young group of prospects and young players I have seen in my whole life time.

Rangers are not very much better, however they will likely make the playoffs this year as well as next year. They do have good pieces to make playoffs. Getting past first round is a different story since they will just collapse like a house of cards when they face playoff hockey. In any case this is all off-topic here.

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
Am I in the wrong thread? I thought this was about Gusev. Not some ridiculous complaining competition about draft picks.

Anywhoo... I think it's especially telling that NJ would cut ties with Gusev even after they traded Zajac and Palmieri. They should be starved for scoring forwards, and they're tossing Gusev away.

I'd be happy if he lands on a different team. But this sounds, to me, like it's over for him in the NHL.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Must be rough having less cups in around 100 years than the expansion team that “deliberately” lost. :(

No its not rough.
Love NYR since a kid.
A great Cup, and great runs to Cup Final numerous others, many conference Finals, and multiple multi-year playoff runs.
And I dont begrudge teams that win
Not even Cup winning expansion teams in Phila, Pitt, LA, Dallas, StLou, Long Island, Calgary, Anaheim, DC, Tampa or my lifelong beloved home state of Jersey.
Why should I? Winning it all is hard. But sweet.

Last edited:

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Great question and I agree with you. I am not really sure what the plan is here, because in theory the timeline moved up the second Panarin was signed. Instead of focusing on the future, the plan changed to now compete in the prime years of the most talented player the franchise has ever had.

That is why getting Lafreniere was a god send last summer (or whenever the draft was). Gorton was actually able to get away with not having to face the problem every other middling team had to. Not being good enough to be a true contender but not being bad enough to get the franchise changing high end young talent at the top of the draft.

Uh, Gretzky played for the Rangers.

Reactions: HBK27

Toronto makebeleifs

Jul 4, 2014
Am I in the wrong thread? I thought this was about Gusev. Not some ridiculous complaining competition about draft picks.

Anywhoo... I think it's especially telling that NJ would cut ties with Gusev even after they traded Zajac and Palmieri. They should be starved for scoring forwards, and they're tossing Gusev away.

I'd be happy if he lands on a different team. But this sounds, to me, like it's over for him in the NHL.
Move does 2 things for Jersey. Firstly, it opens up cap space to become a player to take on a cap dump for assets, or become a 3rd team in a trade requiring retention. Secondly, it opens up another contract slot to potentially take in younger signed assets without having to move more items out to compensate. The way gusev was playing, even with retention, they wouldnt have seen a great return. Seems jersey is ramping up to weaponize cap space this dl more than anything else, this move gives some certainty towards what else they can do.

Reactions: banks

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
This is probably a good move for Gusev. I’m sure some playoff-bound team will be happy to have him, especially if they miss out on others.

Whether Gusev deserves it or not is another issue, but it seems he’s giving up a decent chunk of change for a chance in the playoffs. Could pay off, or could be his last opportunity.

Reactions: Evgeny Oliker

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
I’m curious about this too. Is there compensation going to the player? Or just a clean break?

No compensation outside of the contract is allowed on a mutual termination. Otherwise some teams would be doing financial backflips to somehow remove contracts like Neal and Loui from their cap.

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
Interesting that he'd take the contract termination. With the Devils having gone through ~2/3rds of their season and owed $4m this year, that's leaving around $1.3m on the table.

If he's willing to sign for the minimum I would think that plenty of playoff teams would be happy to sign him on for depth. For the price of free, plenty of teams would be willing to give a guy with his upside a shot.

He probably wants a chance to prove himself yeah - his play for the remainder of this year likely is more valuable than 1.3M

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
At the risk of starting a bunch of crap, if the Leafs really are in on a forward for the TDL they might as well just go for Gusev for absolutely free as opposed to giving up assets

Bologna 1

Aug 5, 2006
Someone should sign him cheap for rest of season and playoff push. All upside if he can find some form with really no risk.

SJinNewJersey

Every single one of us, the devil inside
Dec 21, 2017
New Jersey

Apparently you haven't watch Gusev play this season.

New Jersey Devil

Sep 30, 2013
New Jersey
Rangers are not very much better, however they will likely make the playoffs this year as well as next year. They do have good pieces to make playoffs. Getting past first round is a different story since they will just collapse like a house of cards when they face playoff hockey. In any case this is all off-topic here.
No, they aren't!

CartographerNo611

Oct 11, 2014
what are you even talking about?
What it takes to get to the 2nd round of playoffs and how Dubas does the complete opposite every year. Might have to go to a Toronto nursing home to see a fellow leaf fan that understands what I’m getting at. It’s been a hot minute for you guys.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
What it takes to get to the 2nd round of playoffs and how Dubas does the complete opposite every year. Might have to go to a Toronto nursing home to see a fellow leaf fan that understands what I’m getting at. It’s been a hot minute for you guys.

Did you just wake up from a coma?

He added Simmonds, Bogosian and Brodie this offseason, not exactly finesse players. Not only that but he moved out soft forwards in Kapanen and Johnson

CartographerNo611

Oct 11, 2014
Did you just wake up from a coma?

He added Simmonds, Bogosian and Brodie this offseason, not exactly finesse players. Not only that but he moved out soft forwards in Kapanen and Johnson

Brodie is considered tough now? I agree he was a solid pick up but he never had a reputation for being tough to play against... ever.

Bogo toned down the tough guy act once "allegedly" him and Trouba went to rehab for the nose filler. Nick Ritchie will be mortified by the Bogo stick.

Tavares has more hits than Simmonds this year along with Reilly... 2 players that intimidate everyone...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad