Player Discussion: Nikita Gusev

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
All of this kind of talk sounded great last year when we were blowing the league away, but I really would love to see someone new in the lineup that has that fire to prove themself. I really don't care who it is exactly, but watching this team limp around half-injured and not scoring is not my idea of fun. Not to mention we could afford to give up a goal every game if it sparked the offense.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
The translated version of Gusev's interview: "My best friend Nikita Kucherov, with whom I talk every day, wants me to join him overseas, but earlier I could not."

Everyone says thanks to the Kucherov Recruitment Agency:laugh:

c_robio

Feb 3, 2006
Good Stuff

The article mentions that he was injured recently. I know some of us were wondering why he wasn't playing

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Scored a goal and an assist in today's victory over Dynamo Moscow. It looks like he's finding his place on SKA roster. He plays with Burdasov who's another interesting player, big friend of Tarasenko and Panarin, btw.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
3 points night (2+1) 19:20 TOI in the 5:3 win over Vityaz for Gusev with now a total of 21 points in 27 games. The kid is a sniper.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Very, very exciting news. I'm excited to think about the prospect of him having this much success with us one day. Ah listen to me getting ahead of myself though. Baby steps.

Edit: wow and great highlights too. I think he stands a strong chance at 20 goals despite the time missed with injury.

Last edited:

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
help-me-obi-wan1.jpg

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014
The next Nikita
RW Nikita Kucherov (above) and good friend Nikita Gusev grew up playing together in Moscow with the same goal: to reach the NHL.

"It was our dream to be here," Kucherov, 22, said. "Now I'm here, I just want him to be here, too. It'll be nice to see him in a couple years, next year."

Kucherov believes Gusev has the talent to play in the NHL.

"He will play here," Kucherov said. "He likes to carry the puck; he likes to make plays. He's got a good shot. The vision he has, it's something that … not that (many) players have. He's a big player."

The two talk often, with Kucherov's positive experience acclimating to life, and hockey, in North America likely a good example for Gusev. Kucherov scored 29 goals last season. He had six this season entering Saturday's game with the Islanders. Gusev, under contract in the KHL, would have to be signed to an entry-level deal with Tampa Bay and come to the United States.

"He needs a little time to adjust to hockey (here)," Kucherov said. "The first thing he needs to do is come here. All the other stuff will take care of itself."

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/hockey/lightning/tampa-bay-lightning-nuts--bolts/2255602

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Aw to hell with it. Looks like the Lightning are gonna have to figure out their scoring woes another way while our roster turns over.

Stay warm and be sure to say hello to Vasily Koshechkin for us while you're there.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay

Sigh. Fiiiiiine.

Major BS on that one... Gusev is as ready for the NHL level as he's ever going to be. His buddies in the SKA organization want him chasing Gagarin Cup glory. They even went out of their way to lure Steve Moses away from the AHL since Nashville never brought him up to the big club like he originally anticipated.

Right now SKA St. Petersburg is in "Win it all" mode and they want their young star locked up for good.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Major BS on that one... Gusev is as ready for the NHL level as he's ever going to be. His buddies in the SKA organization want him chasing Gagarin Cup glory. They even went out of their way to lure Steve Moses away from the AHL since Nashville never brought him up to the big club like he originally anticipated.

Right now SKA St. Petersburg is in "Win it all" mode and they want their young star locked up for good.

It could be more about the Olympics, because the NHL hasn't yet decided whether it's going to let player go to Korea or not.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
It could be more about the Olympics, because the NHL hasn't yet decided whether it's going to let player go to Korea or not.

That probably has some to do with it. I wouldn't be surprised if that was a factor in his decision making. Gusev is a fine player who deserves the finest honor a hockey player can have. However, given the fact he is at a point per game pace since joining SKA I don't think "not being ready for the NHL level" has anything to do with his choice to stay in Russia.

Things are gonna work out between us and Gusev one way or another.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
I don't know anything about Gusev, give me the low down...? how'd we get him..? Do we even have him?!? Whats his skill level?

aessi

Jan 1, 2015
Would think that playing in SKA would benefit him more than AHL right now, he's going to be more prepared if he can continue to play in elite team in KHL.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Does he have an out clause? That should be the most important part. If so, all good....knock yourself out in the KHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad