Player Discussion Nicolas Deslauriers - Un Gars D'Chez Nous Edition

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
He's basically playing like how we hoped McCarron would turn out, one was a first round draft pick struggling in the AHL and the other was traded for Zach ****ing Redmond.

I wouldn't have a problem giving him a couple years at around $950k, if he falls back to earth we can just send him to the AHL without the contract impacting our salary cap.

Reactions: Adam Michaels

Goodbahd

Dec 17, 2017
Deslauriers and Gallagher are the only two forwards you can depend on to show up and give a good effort. The rest are all dissapoiting, or have low energy.

Reactions: Habs Icing

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Deslauriers and Gallagher are the only two forwards you can depend on to show up and give a good effort. The rest are all dissapoiting, or have low energy.

I will add Shaw to those two. He's had some more quiet games than those two, but he's been one of the Habs' better and more consistent players this year.

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
I like him a lot more than I expected to and he would be nice to keep, but I'm also terrified Bergevin is going to give him a Prust/Shaw style contract.

Reactions: Runner77

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I dunno about labeling him a 4th liner...He looks to be showing he is more than just that.If Habs can get him locked up reasonable for next 3 -4 years(like Paul Byron) go for it .
Earlier this year I would have said you are crazy. Now I am not as sure. Maybe this is him over achieving or maybe he has indeed found a niche. If he can keep up his current play for the rest of the season I would not be against signing for no more than 2-3 years and playing him on a 3rd or 4th line role with the occasional shift on the higher lines when his energy and whatnot are required.

Reactions: Runner77

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
What is the life expectancy of a 26yo 4th liner in the NHL?...
I wouldn't give him more than a year. There just is no need for it. I would stretch it for two years at the most.

$1.5M or under contracts don't hurt. It's the $3.5-4.5M contracts for middle six players that kill. You're paying them a chunk of the cap for 0.5 PPG production. The $1.5M guys can be easily stuffed in the minors without much of a hit.

If D'lo wants a $1.5M/5 year deal or something I'd have no issue signing it. Similar to the old Burrows deal. I think that was four years at $2M per? He put up 21 goals in getting that, which made it one of the best bargains in the league, but if D'Lo is doing 15 goals, I'd do a $1.5M for multi years. If he ends up flash in the pan you can easily stuff him elsewhere.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
$1.5M or under contracts don't hurt. It's the $3.5-4.5M contracts for middle six players that kill. You're paying them a chunk of the cap for 0.5 PPG production. The $1.5M guys can be easily stuffed in the minors without much of a hit.

If D'lo wants a $1.5M/5 year deal or something I'd have no issue signing it. Similar to the old Burrows deal. I think that was four years at $2M per? He put up 21 goals in getting that, which made it one of the best bargains in the league, but if D'Lo is doing 15 goals, I'd do a $1.5M for multi years. If he ends up flash in the pan you can easily stuff him elsewhere.
It has nothing to do with the dollar figure. As you said, 1M and change is not a problem. Even 2M..Those are small figures, so who cares.
My point was if you give such a long security to bottom players, they end up sucking. Those guys have to play with a physical edge every game, which is very difficult to do, so you need to have that contractual motivation behind it. You need them to know if they slack off, they just won't get another contract. Not only that but 4th liners don't retire from the NHL at 35+...They get pushed out earlier by younger player who can do their job better. They don't have the skills to be kept around until that age. Could be some, but that is a minority.
It is why I asked for the life expectancy of a bottom liner. You give 5 years to Dlo, that means he'll be signed until 31. Brandon Prust was playing his last year here at 30, fair to say he was quite bad by then.
So no thanks. Give Dlo 1-2 years tops. If he wants more he can get it elsewhere and we can find a replacement. It is not difficult to find good bottom players.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
It has nothing to do with the dollar figure. As you said, 1M and change is not a problem. Even 2M..Those are small figures, so who cares.
My point was if you give such a long security to bottom players, they end up sucking. Those guys have to play with a physical edge every game, which is very difficult to do, so you need to have that contractual motivation behind it. You need them to know if they slack off, they just won't get another contract. Not only that but 4th liners don't retire from the NHL at 35+...They get pushed out earlier by younger player who can do their job better. They don't have the skills to be kept around until that age. Could be some, but that is a minority.
It is why I asked for the life expectancy of a bottom liner. You give 5 years to Dlo, that means he'll be signed until 31. Brandon Prust was playing his last year here at 30, fair to say he was quite bad by then.
So no thanks. Give Dlo 1-2 years tops. If he wants more he can get it elsewhere and we can find a replacement. It is not difficult to find good bottom players.

not a bad point but that didn't happen with Byron. Shaw's more or less the same player he was with Chicago. I'm sure your scenario happens but it's not necessarily a given.

I think I'd gamble on more years. There's a possibility that he can actually be a decent player and then you have a power forward type locked up for a few years on a low cap hit. You give him one or two years and he's lights out then you have the dilemma of giving him a Clarkson type contract or losing him for nothing.

If your scenario pans out it's not a big deal really.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
not a bad point but that didn't happen with Byron. Shaw's more or less the same player he was with Chicago. I'm sure your scenario happens but it's not necessarily a given.

I think I'd gamble on more years. There's a possibility that he can actually be a decent player and then you have a power forward type locked up for a few years on a low cap hit. You give him one or two years and he's lights out then you have the dilemma of giving him a Clarkson type contract or losing him for nothing.

If your scenario pans out it's not a big deal really.
That is a fair enough assessment. If he ends up better, steal, if not, no biggie, waiver. I can get behind that point. I am not convinced with Dlo though. Byron, you could see some skill. Dlo is just plowing through with no real skill, seems like it's just a one off. I could be totally wrong, but that's how I see it for now.
In any event, there is no need to sign him before season's end, so let's see how he keeps this up.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
That is a fair enough assessment. If he ends up better, steal, if not, no biggie, waiver. I can get behind that point. I am not convinced with Dlo though. Byron, you could see some skill. Dlo is just plowing through with no real skill, seems like it's just a one off. I could be totally wrong, but that's how I see it for now.
In any event, there is no need to sign him before season's end, so let's see how he keeps this up.

yeah I've only seen him a few times. I liked what I saw but yeah it could definitely be a one off.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
I'd give Deslaurier 5 years, 1 million AAV. This way, if he doesn't play well and we need to put him in the minors, it doesn't count against the cap. But, if he does play well, it could be a bargain, like Paul Byron's deal.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
Weise, Danault, Byron, Deslauriers

If only Bergevin was better at getting elite players with the habs. He sure knows how to find complementary players

Hopefully Carr will add himself to that list. I think he'll get another chance this year. Hopefully he can prove Julien wrong.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
I doubt it, Julien seems to not like the guy at all.

Yeah they brought in Logan Shaw of all players to take his spot. It's ridiculous. I really like Carr and Deslaurier on the 4th line on opposite wings. And so far, Froese has been the best to play in between them. He's steady and makes plays off the forecheck in the offensive zone. He's outplayed Shaw and De la Rose as the 4th line center.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I'd give Deslaurier 5 years, 1 million AAV. This way, if he doesn't play well and we need to put him in the minors, it doesn't count against the cap. But, if he does play well, it could be a bargain, like Paul Byron's deal.

You'd give a 4th liner you would be ready to send to the minors a 5-year deal?

Reactions: groovejuice

jiboy

la game dans la game
May 2, 2007
I would not go further than 1 year with him , hes most likely on a hot streak playing on a bad team. Dont think we can expect him to keep his pace especially if we give him contract security.

ItzaGreat

How's your Mario impression?
Oct 22, 2017
World 2 - 3
Deslo's a good bottom 6 forwards, decent speed/hands and though.

2 years with a cap hit of 1.9 millions seems reasonable.

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
Deslo's a good bottom 6 forwards, decent speed/hands and though.

2 years with a cap hit of 1.9 millions seems reasonable.

2 million dollar cap hit for deslaurises?? No. Seriously. Are you kidding ??
That’s a hard hard pass

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad