Player Discussion Nicolas Deslauriers - Un Gars D'Chez Nous Edition

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Has Agostino moved ahead of Deslauriers....and Hudon?

Almost sure he's ahead of Deslauriers. Good chance he's ahead of Hudon as well.

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
Has Agostino moved ahead of Deslauriers....and Hudon?

Almost sure he's ahead of Deslauriers. Good chance he's ahead of Hudon as well.

Agostino is better defensively than I thought. I think he has a shot to stay here for a longuer time...

Deslauriers should be a 13th forward at this point.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Agostino is better defensively than I thought. I think he has a shot to stay here for a longuer time...

Deslauriers should be a 13th forward at this point.

Yeah, if Agostino was not ahead of Hudon right now as we speak, he would not have played 6 minutes more (double) what Hudon played. The bench shortening would have come with a player switch, but it did not. And you're right, Agostino competes hard and is a physically stronger player than Charles.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Yeah, if Agostino was not ahead of Hudon right now as we speak, he would not have played 6 minutes more (double) what Hudon played. The bench shortening would have come with a player switch, but it did not. And you're right, Agostino competes hard and is a physically stronger player than Charles.

Julien said in his post - game presser that because of the 4th line's difficulties, he didn't trust them in the 3rd period. They only had 1 shift. Because of this, he said the other lines were over-taxed and tired.

I wonder if it wouldn't better to switch Deslauriers and Agostino. D-lo has some finish (no pun intended) and Agostino may stabilize the 4th line with his speed and defensive awareness. We need to be able to play all 4 lines, and no one is healthy.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Julien said in his post - game presser that because of the 4th line's difficulties, he didn't trust them in the 3rd period. They only had 1 shift. Because of this, he said the other lines were over-taxed and tired.

I wonder if it wouldn't better to switch Deslauriers and Agostino. D-lo has some finish (no pun intended) and Agostino may stabilize the 4th line with his speed and defensive awareness. We need to be able to play all 4 lines, and no one is healthy.

It's not a bad idea but some people here might have an epileptic fit and demand that all the lines be re-done to give them the chance "to have nice things" which translates roughly to "give Kotkaniemi the best wingers on the team or risk ruining him like we ruined Galchenyuk ".

Jul 6, 2016
This guy is a an olds school 4th liner. The game has passed these guys by , waste of a roster spot.

He was very decent player just last year. His broken face just made it worse for him. Now, he should not play higher than a #13-#14 spare forward.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
This guy is a an olds school 4th liner. The game has passed these guys by , waste of a roster spot.

The game has gotten faster since last year. He's having trouble keeping up. He's a pylon in the neutral zone when the other team is on the rush.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
He played out of his mind last year and secured a new contract, he basically just skates around trying to be a wrecking ball and not much else. I would rather have someone with some offensive upside say a guy like Daniel Carr over a guy like D-LO.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Hudon is either a top 6 player or bust-
He is not a 4th line player (neither is Peca).
Habs currently have the worst 4th line in the league. When your coach benches an entire line against a team still rolling 4 lines it says it all.

Deslauriers seems slower than last year to me

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
D-Lo would be ideal as a 13th/14th forward who plays against more physical teams once in a while, with the way the team is now playing he shouldn't be a regular (hopefully he isn't when we get bodies back up front).

CheldishGamibno

Turtles & Refrigerators
Aug 19, 2006
Mute City
D-LO got paid and good for him and it says more about Bergevin than it ever does about him. Bergevin woke up apparently and now understands that speed and transition is the trend of the new NHL, what a joke!!!! I can't believe that Bergevin is running the show, I just can't.
Well I don't blame him for signing Deslauriers, many would've done the same. He was like a small diamond in a pile of turd last year, he deserved his contract. Plus, it's only two years for under a million so not that big of a deal.
I won't call out names but salary-wise, we got way bigger problems on our hands.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Well I don't blame him for signing Deslauriers, many would've done the same. He was like a small diamond in a pile of turd last year, he deserved his contract. Plus, it's only two years for under a million so not that big of a deal.
I won't call out names but salary-wise, we got way bigger problems on our hands.
I realise that we have bigger problems and who is at the root of it all? I don't blame any of the players for taking the money but the mismanagement of our GM for signing them all. As bad as things are in that regard, we could have also added Milan Lucic and Nick Bonino to our list of boat anchor contracts if Bergevin truly got his way.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
“No, I think it's even tough... We're so close, it's almost the same feeling. We've a summer to think more about it. We all know we had a good season but it's a disappointment tho.”

“Sometimes we needed to get some points it didn't work in our favor. Then when you arrive at the ending of the season like that I think we got a great run to prove ourselves until the end of the year. So close but it wasn't enough...”

“We told to ourselves that the attitude must be better at the beginning of the 2018's training camp and we did it. A great group of players here. We were capable to win some games, that's was the big difference than last year. The way we behave up front. I recall when this team losing games like early by a two goals last year and giving up quickly, this rarely happened this year...”

“Not really. I would like to play all the 82 games. Having a healthy team like that, not many injured players. Personally, it wasn't the same stats... I always said it, I'm not a guy of stats neither. I would liked to prove myself more but in the same time the team was well.”

“Looking to find more speeds. My strengh will be always still be there. Maybe improving my skating a bit more and getting more confidence with the puck. It's one of those things I need bring it on the ice...”

“For sure, that turnaround we had from last year to this one. We aware that we've a team who can makes the PO. We'll try with all of our best to make this team back to the PO once for all.”

“It's not my decision, I don't know. That being said, I'll work once again very hard this summer to be here more than ready and getting a spot.”

“Everybody will have a conversation (MB/Clode)... In my case, I didn't have it yet. Always being a player who's a real worker. I accept what ever the case my role or what I've to improve. It's up to them to say to me what I got to improve...”

“Injury on his face (2018's Preseason): No, it's just affected me into a retrospect during the eight weeks, at the beginning. My style of play haven't changed at all. I proved that after two weeks when I got into my 1st comeback fight. The league have changed a little bit far, there's less of fights. I felt better and better in every games.”

“I played with him (Weal) at the AHL he was part of one of my lines in the past. He's the type of guy who trains hard, have skills and fast. I already know what I got to expect from him... I had success with him, he's a smart boy. You saw in the last game, it was 1st game with him since Columbus.”

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
I transcribe everything I hear from my ears. Then putting it in each of our prospect/player discussion. For the links (written by authors), I let AM and the others guys doing it.
Nice. Was this on the radio or are you a reporter?

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
“ D-Lo (nickname locker room). At home, it depends usually it's Baby. But when she calls me Nic it means I'm in trouble.”

“Saint-Anicet (homegrown). Near Valleyfield. Close to Larocque Bridge.”

“Yes, but I never thought it'd happen (Montreal Canadiens)... It's still weird to think I get to play at home (Montreal). It's really fun...”

“Probably breaken joints (fights injuries). The thumb joints especially.”

“A facial injury (2018's preseason fight). It fractured the left side of my face.”

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
“At each camp, I just tried to stay with the team and get in the lineup. Playing one NHL game was something as a player who was drafted as a defenseman and is now a forward... Then, it was about staying in the lineup. It goes by fast. I don't really look at stats... But when things like this happen, it's fun to see numbers like that go up. I hope there'll be more. When I broke into the League, I didn't think I'd be a player like that. It's a style I developed. A lot of people say it's going away... But that's why the summers are there to train and develop new skills to try to play hockey and stay in the lineup.”

“It wasn't hard, not at all... I knew what kind of game I needed to bring, and I think they also knew. There were for sure some mistakes in terms of positioning and in the system. But I thought my style of play can help no matter the system. I need to keep doing what I'm doing. Going to the net and finishing my hits. I don't bring a lot of skill or things like that but I'm able to adapt to any kind of system... It's a family thing. We always worked hard to have what we've. All of the credit goes to my parents. It's really about how I was raised. Nothing is easy in life... You've to work hard for what you want... I get really over-emotional when I score.”

“It's home, it's fun, they're the best fans... When you play at the Bell Center, it's so easy for me to get my energy... It's easy to be energized here. I'm not just wearing this jersey for me. It's for my whole family. They've always supported me. It's for my former coaches and the guys I've played with in the past. It's always special to play at home. It's what we wanted. My family and I wanted to stay in Montreal,. So we were happy that the deal was done (Feb 2018). Everyone wants more money.. But I was looking for security... I've a family and kids and I love Montreal... It's the place where I want to play and I haven't been shy about saying so. I love this place and we were happy to be staying. It's special to play here. Especially as a Quebecer. I'm proud to wear this jersey. I was proud to play in Laval, just to be part of the organization. But that wasn't where I wanted to be. I 100% respected all the players in this league and the organization. But it wasn't where I wanted to be. I wanted to be in the NHL... I wanted to play in the best league in the world and that's why I was pretty clear about it. I wanted to play for the Canadiens and I want to stay here as long as possible... I've given it my all so far and have even more to give moving forward. I was happy to have another two years to show that I love this city... That we've the best fans and that it's an organization that deserves success. The Canadiens are the Canadiens... It's the best thing in Quebec and it's a jersey that I wear proudly...”

“I think there are risks in every fight. I don't think just because I had surgery there's any extra risk... That's the first question I asked the woman who performed the operation. She said everything would be ok and that I just have to wear a cage for a little while. I gave it time to heal but it wasn't something that'll change the way I play. Whether it's the preseason or the regular season, I'm battling for a job every time I'm on the ice... I'd have done the same thing in the preseason or the regular season.”

“I needed to get back on board right away. It's exactly what I needed... I needed a guy who's strict and who works with me one-on-one. It was kind of a big mix of CrossFit and strong man training. It was kind of a mix of everything. I don't work out like a lot of people but that works me out pretty good. Brought me to a step I never thought I was going to get to. When I walked he told me: last year was nothing. We've got to get even better, so we're going to work even harder. That's the kind of guy that helping me. He's kind of old school. He's kind of the mean coach that I needed. He knows how to work me. He knows my character. The first time we met, I told him he was allowed to scream at me if I'm not doing something right... He works every aspect of my body. I did a lot of farmer walks for my grips. I did a lot of cardio, but movement cardio. We did like four or five exercises in a row. But during a certain amount of time. It's something I never did in Buffalo in the summer. It helped me a lot... It's something different, special. It's something out of the ordinary.”

“That has to come from my dad a lot. He encouraged me to watch defensemen. I think Ray Bourque was one of the easiest players to learn the game from. He wasn't too fancy. He always made the easy play. He was good offensively and defensively. He could throw the body. He was an all-around defenseman that I loved to watch. Bobby Orr was the complete opposite of Ray, just rushing the puck. I think that was something special. He could score from everywhere. It's hard to believe that he was a defenseman. Joe Sakic was just a leader on and off the ice. From his vision to his quick release, I think he had everything. When Ray Bourque went to Colorado and they won the Stanley Cup together, it was something special. He was so much fun to watch. He played with such passion. You could see it in his eyes. He was a franchise player. So it was easy to look at his game. Getting compared a lot to Steve Begin... He's one of those players that I remember watching. He's a guy that's similar to Brendan Gallagher. He never stops. Just eat the boards and he was always getting his nose dirty. He's one of those guys that if I had to pick who was one of the most enjoyable players to watch, Steve would be in there. There was just something about Guy Lafleur. Seeing clips of how he could change a game and how he meant so much to this organization. No bucket. He had the flow going. He was a heck of a hockey player and I was honored to have met him a couple of times and shake his hand... He was a true leader and a true franchise player in Montreal.”

“The McDavid's and Kane's vision... It's just the plays they make, especially on the power play. They can make fancy plays and some of those harder plays. Their ability to actually make those plays successfully makes them different than a lot of people. The Ennis's hands... Practicing with him, he's really unbelievable. He massages the puck. It's something special. In games, he almost always makes one of those highlight-reel moves like a toe-drag or one of those flips just lands right on his blade. He's one guy who impressed me a lot skill-wise. The Weber's and Burns's power... When I was playing against Montreal, Shea was one of those guys that impressed me. I like to hit, but when I'd go in the corners he's strong, he's a beast. When I was in Buffalo, I also saw him break some shin pads with his shot. You can also put Brent Burns in there. He's hard to hit, too. When you hit him, he's solid. Strength-wise, when it comes to those one-on-one battles, he's strong. The Grabner's speed... He doesn't get that many breakaways for nothing. He uses his speed well. He's one of the fastest guys in the League and he shows it a lot. On the PK alone, he gets a lot of breakaways. He's fast. The Burns's and Byfuglien's shot... Obviously, Shea would be right up there, of course. But, to go with something different as a forward trying to block shots I'd say Burns and Byfuglien are tied together. They get pucks through, and their shots are hard and accurate. The Gallagher's heart... Playing against him, he was that water bug that just never stops. He's always around everything. Playing with him, I can see just how good it is to have that kind of player on your team. Every day, every night it's something special. He brings everything to the table. He's one of those guys who gets his nose dirty. It works well for him, but it's annoying for others.”

“When we started looking, we were hoping to find a home located between Gatineau and Quebec City. But when we visited the house there on the Islands, we knew right away that it was the one. It's our dream house. We're very proud to call ourselves residents. You really see what a small community is all about. People help each other out. I love how quiet it's. People are happy. It gets me out of the city. It's calm... I also really like the donuts from the Antan's Delights Bakery. I wasn't a boat guy before, but now I've got one... I even go fishing on the Saint-Pierre Lake. I realized that deep down I've a country side that wants to get on the boat and fish. I never had the chance to do those types of activities because I'd never lived in a place like that...”

“I think it's just how patient she's. She tells me a lot that she has four kids at home, not three... That's probably a good thing that she's really patient. She's also really organized. As a guy that likes to have fun and joke around, I'm not as organized as she's... She puts me in line and she takes care of everything. When I was traded to Gatineau, she made the decision to be closer to me. Gatineau and Rouyn aren't close. She pretty much gave up everything. I remember her first job was at Quizno's so she could make a little money and help us afford our apartment. It wasn't in line with what she was doing at school. She could've easily gotten a job in her hometown or anywhere else. There are a lot of kids that need some help... She could've helped a lot of people but she chose to come with me. When she came to live with me in Manchester, I think that's probably the turning point of our relationship. We'd already been together for a while and she just left everything again to support me. It's not easy... She was a teacher at an adult school before that, and she had her own class of special needs kids. She worked hard to get her education. She loved the education she was in. I was lucky to kind of see what she was doing when I was in Rouyn my first two years. She was close to school. I'd go and help her sometimes and meet those kids... It was right in her element. So having kids isn't a problem for us. She's the rock of our relationship and she's the best mom out there. There are some rough patches when you play. Sometimes, it doesn't go the way you want. Especially for me at the beginning of the season.. I had a serious injury and she was there to support me. It was hard to come back and you don't know how your body is going to react after surgery like that. But, she always told me that I was going to be fine and everything was going to be ok. As an athlete, you go through ups and downs. When the downs are low, she's always there to support me. Having kids at the same time it makes you think about something else. How life is precious... We keep in touch a lot when I'm away, we talk a lot. That's the thing... It makes our relationship stronger, especially when you have three kids.”

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Dlo sure had chemistry with Poehling in that ONE game.

I see him as the 13th forward without Poehling and Suzuki, 15th forward if Poehling and Suzuki make it. But if he can continue to have chemistry like that with Poehling and Weal, he could take advantage of an injury or two and make himself a fixture in the lineup - a real long shot though.

Reactions: Fixxer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad