Post-Game Talk: NICKY BOBBY FOR THE WIN! | 3-2 Leafs in OT

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Who is Tampa's heavyweight? Who is Colorado's? I know you aren't talking about Manson and Maroon.

We beat up on Tampa last year until the refs called it like a regular season game.
Tampa had a boatload of skill and a pack mentality and will swarm anyone they see fit.

You probably hadn’t seen them prior to last year’s playoffs, but I first took notice a few years ago, in a series against Boston after the Bruins eliminated the Leafs. I got the feeling back then that they’d be in a position to win a Cup.

Reactions: klmdg

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Leafs underlying number rankings so far:

Shot Differential: 58.39 (4th in the NHL)
Scoring Chance Differential: 57.96 (4th in the NHL)
High Danger Chance Differential: 59.29 (5th in the NHL)
xGF%: 59.27 (2nd in the NHL)
Goal Differential: 50% (18th in the NHL)
PDO: .968 (tied for 25th in the NHL)

Stars should have finished a few more chances and the goalies should have made a couple of more stops so far.

The Leafs have been pretty good so far and will have an amazing season if they keep up their play as their PDO will regulate.
yup , we're good at spamming shots , hopefully one day it leads us somewhere

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Actually, it's everything thats good including shot quality.

Gotta read past the first line.
your stats are based on shot volume/location except for the goal differential and pdo

so as i said we're good as spamming shots which have led us no where in the playoffs so far

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
They had more scoring chances, high danger chances and expected goals against both Montreal and Arizona.

Both your arguments can’t be true.

They showed up for half of either of those games - at best. At least in the Dallas game it's plainly obvious that despite almost a period of powerplay time we still conceded on those indicators.

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
I’d roll with the following lines:

Robertson-Matthews-Nylander
Bunting-Tavares-Marner
Engvall-Kerfoot-Jarnkrok
ZAR-Kampf-NAK
/Malgin

Possibly ditch Engvall and sub in Malgin for cap purposes.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
I don't understand, does the fact that they had 8 powerplays somehow support your argument that they should have lost? Please explain.

I rarely look at "expected" fancy stats, I mostly just watch the game so yes I did watch, and I thought we played well. And IMHO, the Dallas goalie had near zero chance of stopping any of the goals that we scored, a beauty snipe by Kerfoot and 2 beauty snipes by Robbie so no offence, but this "expected goals" of 1.39 for Toronto is ridiculous. I have no idea how this number is calculated but based on the 1.39 number from last night, this stat is completely useless because based on the goals we scored, our expected goals should be close to 3, even if we completely ignore the rest of the game in it's entirety. :)

You don't need to man - we played 16 minutes of power play time and took a 2-2 tie into overtime. There's your smoking gun. First 5 games for me - this team is not playing like it has any intention to compete.

Actually, it's everything thats good including shot quality.

Gotta read past the first line.

is that 5v5?

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
A goal wasn't called back. It was no goal from the start.
I think the push satisfies the criteria that there is enough interference there not to overturn the call on the ice.

The goal was called back by the official on the ice. The video review corrected the mistake.

willmma

Jan 5, 2017
The goal was called back by the official on the ice. The video review corrected the mistake.

Rule 38
"General - The video review mechanism triggered by the Coach’s
Challenge can only be utilized in GOAL/NO GOAL situations and is
intended to be extremely narrow in scope. In all Coach’s Challenge
situations, the original call on the ice will be overturned if, and only if,
a conclusive and irrefutable determination can be made on the basis
of video evidence that the original call on the ice was clearly not
correct. If a review is not conclusive and/or there is any doubt
whatsoever as to whether the call on the ice was correct, the original
call on the ice will be confirmed.
"

There was a clear push by Seguin against Samsonov in net.

No one in their right mind can say that push @ 0:10 that dropped Samsonov has without any doubt not interfered with the goalie.

You can be as flippant as you want about thinking it was the correct call. It could have been the correct call if the on ice official made it. But as a result of a coach's challenge it is wrong and it's against the NHL rules.

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
also, sandin i thought played a great game tonight.
I’m telling you all he needs is opportunity he plays a better game then rielly to me not that rielly looked too bad himself today he’s just not as physical as sandman and holl didn’t look too bad beside
Yea the league is full of PPG 3rd line wingers….
he should not be demoted to the third line for kerfoot are you joking? However I do think the top six needs a shake up switch the centermen for a game and see what it does for the line you can always switch bac to what you kno

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
your stats are based on shot volume/location except for the goal differential and pdo

so as i said we're good as spamming shots which have led us no where in the playoffs so far

Not sure what to say.

The Leafs are one of and have been one of the best teams in the league at creating slot and other high danger shots over the last few years.

Shot location is extremely important when scoring goals....duh.

The top 5 team save % in the playoffs over the last 3 seasons:

1. Jackets - Crazy historic that one year against two offensive powerhouses.
2. Canucks - Tricked clueless management(and fans) into thinking the team in front was good.
3. Lightning - Actually backed up by a great team too.
4. Habs - See Canucks as Price wrecked many a superior team's dreams.
5. Islanders - Not quite the same as others but fooled a ton of folks as their flaws emerged.

The fact the Leafs have faced 3 of these guys sucks (at the same time our goalies have rocked an .880 in knockout games) but what you gonna do?

Let's hope the new guys can change our fortunes in net.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Montreal:

Shots: 32-23 Leafs
Scoring Chances: 40-30 Leafs
High Danger Chances: 13-11 Leafs

Arizona:
Shots: 28-19 Leafs
Scoring Chances: 37-17 Leafs
High Danger Chances: 15-10 Leafs
According to testimonials Toronto lost to both MTL and AZ.

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Solid game for Toronto, Robertson shouldn't be anywhere but the Leafs anymore. On the bright side, we are still collecting points while our top line has been pitiful, or at least not up to our standards. Easily could probably be 1-4 IMO, theres only one game were we really outplayed a team.

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
Happy for Robertson, big game for him and it solidified him as a regular NHLer. Still support the Leafs decision to send him down so that they would keep their depth at the start of the season. Malgin will be needed down the stretch and there was a high probability LTIR would free up sooner than later (which it did).

Good asset management all around.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Yes, despite the Leafs outplaying both teams, Toronto lost both games.

That is factually true.
I don't know. Maybe. This board has convinced me that even when Toronto is losing they most definitely winning. That the unfair flat cap, COVID, and the referees always keep them down. All of a sudden it's early May and the Leafs are at their cottages. It's when I see them at their cottages that I finally realize the weight of expected/hypothetical statistics.

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
While I think the 4th line was good in theory, after seeing 5 games we can't have ZAR and NAK playing together. They are both really poor at passing the puck and both seem to have tunnel vision. After they make a defensive play they struggle to breakout, and they can't make any plays on the cycle (NAK seems to prefer to go for the hit at all costs even taking his eyes off the puck lol), Kampf's obviously not a great offensive player but he has okay puck skills, but he doesn't have a winger to make a single passing play with on the cycle lol.

Of the two, I think ZAR has looked better than NAK, I'd at least give ZAR-Kampf-Malgin a shot as the fourth line.
Kampf needs two way wingers not offensive wingers

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Yes, despite the Leafs outplaying both teams, Toronto lost both games.

That is factually true.
Did you watched those games? For at least half the games, Leafs were dominant(less so against the Yokes), but for the other half, Leafs were really bad.
I won’t use the word outplaying, heck I won’t even use the word, it was pretty even. At times those games, yes thr Habs and Yokes can’t even get out of their own zone but at time Leafs got nothing going on.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Happy for Robertson, big game for him and it solidified him as a regular NHLer. Still support the Leafs decision to send him down so that they would keep their depth at the start of the season. Malgin will be needed down the stretch and there was a high probability LTIR would free up sooner than later (which it did).

Good asset management all around.
What are talking about? I too am happy for Robertson, but I'll be damned if this is considered "good asset management".

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Did you watched those games? For at least half the games, Leafs were dominant(less so against the Yokes), but for the other half, Leafs were really bad.
I won’t use the word outplaying, heck I won’t even use the word, it was pretty even. At times those games, yes thr Habs and Yokes can’t even get out of their own zone but at time Leafs got nothing going on.

I'm not saying they are playing to their peak yet and look rusty out there but, outside of the 4th line, they have been far better than most are saying.

Give it a month as we sort out the lineup (like last season) and we will see what we have.

Goaltending and 4th line are the big worries IMO. Hope Murray gets healthy soon.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
They showed up for half of either of those games - at best. At least in the Dallas game it's plainly obvious that despite almost a period of powerplay time we still conceded on those indicators.
You're changing the argument to suit your opinion. Can't say we didn't deserve to win because Dallas stats were better, but when our stats were better in games we lost, you say it's because we played only half the game. Thats not how it works. Would it be fair to say Dallas stats were better because they showed up in portions? Of course not.
Leafs deserve the 3-2 record they have. No better or worse

Reactions: Jojalu and willmma

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad