Nicklas Lidstrom vs Doug Harvey

Status
Not open for further replies.

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
No kidding. Ever since Lidstrom retired they are a bubble team.

They went from 102-104 and 102 points in their last 3 Lidstrom seasons to first season without him on pace for 96 in the half lockout season. More or less, a difference of 3-4 wins.

Honestly, I expected more of a collapse given they didn't even try to replace him and just played the kids.

A significant other reason would be the age and injuries of their top players in the past few years.

They managed 93 points the season after that despite losing their top 2 forwards for nearly 40 games each. And Franzen who was a good top 6 player to a lot of games, and Filppula to UFA. Stands to reason a healthy Dats and Zetts bring them a few more wins in 40 games each.

They managed 100 points again the next year with Zetterberg healthy and Datsyuk ONLY missing 20 games. 1 win from their previous Lidstrom few levels.

Losing Babcock this year was a crippling blow too.

Its not just Lidstrom retiring to blame for their slow decline. I know some fans want to take that view on it, but there are a multitude of obvious reasons. Trying to portray them as weak after he retired is doing them a disservice.

Rhiessan71

Just a Fool
Feb 17, 2003
Guelph, Ont
Visit site
Someone said earlier in this thread that we don't have PP scoring numbers for Harvey. Those numbers can be compiled from the Hockey Summary Project data and I have done so.

Here's a table I posted in the Top 60 defencemen project.

Top-scoring Defencemen, 52/53 to 59/60
Player | GP | G | A | P | ESG | ESA | ESP | PPG | PPA | PPP | SHG | SHA | SHP | ESP/70 | PPP/70 | SHP/70 | P/70
Doug Harvey | 534 | 49 | 249 | 298 | 31 | 115 | 146 | 18 | 132 | 150 | 0 | 2 | 2 | 19 | 20 | 0 | 39
Red Kelly | 470 | 110 | 195 | 305 | 67 | 121 | 188 | 35 | 67 | 102 | 7 | 7 | 15 | 28 | 15 | 2 | 45
Bill Gadsby | 548 | 66 | 232 | 298 | 39 | 133 | 172 | 23 | 92 | 115 | 3 | 7 | 11 | 22 | 15 | 1 | 38
Marcel Pronovost | 533 | 54 | 132 | 186 | 44 | 106 | 150 | 6 | 21 | 27 | 4 | 5 | 9 | 20 | 4 | 1 | 24
Allan Stanley | 466 | 42 | 137 | 179 | 31 | 77 | 108 | 10 | 50 | 60 | 0 | 10 | 11 | 16 | 9 | 2 | 27
Tim Horton | 501 | 34 | 140 | 174 | 30 | 108 | 138 | 3 | 25 | 28 | 0 | 7 | 8 | 19 | 4 | 1 | 24
Tom Johnson | 544 | 40 | 127 | 167 | 28 | 95 | 123 | 10 | 29 | 39 | 2 | 3 | 5 | 16 | 5 | 1 | 21
Fern Flaman | 524 | 18 | 124 | 142 | 14 | 113 | 127 | 3 | 8 | 11 | 1 | 3 | 4 | 17 | 1 | 1 | 19

Thanks Overpass, great job.

First off, I'm sure I'm not the only one to notice the massive ratio difference between PP goals and ES goals for Dmen back then compared to today.
Lidstrom for example over his career scored 122 ES goals and 132 PP goals. He scored more PP goals in a season than ES goals 9 times.
Not a single one of those Dmen is even close to a 50/50 ratio. They clearly scored the vast majority of their goals at Even Strength.
Bourque was 217 ESGs to 164 PPGs, still much closer to 50/50 than any Dman on that chart. Even MacInnis was 164 ESGs to 166 PPGs.
Pretty conclusive evidence of the advent of the slapshot changing Dmen goal scoring big time.

Other thing of note, Harvey dominates on the PP relative to his peers on a level with Orr and MacInnis.

Last edited:

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
They went from 102-104 and 102 points in their last 3 Lidstrom seasons to first season without him on pace for 96 in the half lockout season. More or less, a difference of 3-4 wins.

Honestly, I expected more of a collapse given they didn't even try to replace him and just played the kids.

A significant other reason would be the age and injuries of their top players in the past few years.

They managed 93 points the season after that despite losing their top 2 forwards for nearly 40 games each. And Franzen who was a good top 6 player to a lot of games, and Filppula to UFA. Stands to reason a healthy Dats and Zetts bring them a few more wins in 40 games each.

They managed 100 points again the next year with Zetterberg healthy and Datsyuk ONLY missing 20 games. 1 win from their previous Lidstrom few levels.

Losing Babcock this year was a crippling blow too.

Its not just Lidstrom retiring to blame for their slow decline. I know some fans want to take that view on it, but there are a multitude of obvious reasons. Trying to portray them as weak after he retired is doing them a disservice.

Babcock needed to go five years ago. They obstructed and played extremely conservatively to stay in contention, plus their move to the Eastern Conference, which is weaker. Had they remained in the West, they would not have made the playoffs.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Are we looking at the same chart?

...Well, a 33% lead on closest for a 8-year period is... not small.
Though I say that and don't have Orr's numbers at hand. I honestly suspect they're closer to 100% than to 33%.

Last edited:

danincanada

Feb 11, 2008
...Well, a 33% lead on closest for a 8-year period is... not small.
Though I say that and don't have Orr's numbers at hand. I honestly suspect they're closer to 100% than to 33%.

The Habs had a lethal power play as you probably already know, and Harvey was a big part of it:

The Canadiens' powerplay was particularly potent during that era. Jean Beliveau centred Maurice Richard and Bert Olmstead (later Dickie Moore) while Doug Harvey played one point position and 'Boom Boom' Geoffrion assumed the other. At the time, penalized players would serve the entire two minutes of a minor penalty, but the Canadiens would frequently score two and sometimes three goals during the powerplay. So explosive was this quintet that during the summer of 1956, NHL owners voted to thwart the Canadiens by changing the rules so that a minor penalty ended as soon as the shorthanded team was scored upon.

https://www.hhof.com/htmlSpotlight/spot_oneononep197301.shtml

To me, the interesting point about this well done breakdown of stats for this era's top defenders is that Lidstrom has been put through a ringer and criticized harshly and at great length by some here for having so much offensive production come from the PP. Meanwhile, it appears Harvey was in the exact same boat.

Over Lidstrom's whole career we're looking at 45% of his points were ES, 52% PP, and 4% SH. He become even more reliant on the PP in his last few seasons.

Through these prime years for Harvey he's at 49% ES, 50% PP, and 1% SH.

These two great defenders are too similar to criticize one and not the other.

Rhiessan71

Just a Fool
Feb 17, 2003
Guelph, Ont
Visit site
The Habs had a lethal power play as you probably already know, and Harvey was a big part of it:

https://www.hhof.com/htmlSpotlight/spot_oneononep197301.shtml

To me, the interesting point about this well done breakdown of stats for this era's top defenders is that Lidstrom has been put through a ringer and criticized harshly and at great length by some here for having so much offensive production come from the PP. Meanwhile, it appears Harvey was in the exact same boat.

Over Lidstrom's whole career we're looking at 45% of his points were ES, 52% PP, and 4% SH. He become even more reliant on the PP in his last few seasons.

Through these prime years for Harvey he's at 49% ES, 50% PP, and 1% SH.

These two great defenders are too similar to criticize one and not the other.

Well first off, it's very clear that Dmen scoring, especially goal scoring was much lower back then.
Once one accounts for the major discouragement of Dmen rushing the puck and prior to adding the Slapshot as a tool for them, one should be able to figure that out for ones self.
Not to mention facing the VERY BEST forwards, Dmen and goalies much, much more often than Lidstrom ever did.

Once again, looking at that chart, it's pretty clear that Kelly is the only one that scored a higher amount of ES points and even then, it's questionable how many of them were as a Dman and not a forward.

As for Lidstrom, he is "put through the ringer" on his ES production because it's clearly much lower than other top offensive Dmen of his time, playing in the same environment.

Going through Lidstrom's breakdowns over the years has left me with 2 main conclusions.

1) That I underestimated Lidstrom's PP QB abilities at first. I thought that they were slightly inferior to Bourque's and Leetch's but have since come to realise that he was in fact about equal in that regard.

2) That Lidstrom's ES production was actually lower than I assumed it was, much lower in fact. At least a level below, maybe even 2 below Bourque, Leetch and now Karlsson in this regard. About on par with Chara for the entire second half of his career says it all.
In 20 seasons, Lidstrom only had 30+ ES points in a season 3 times and had exactly 30 twice. Peaking at 37.
By comparison, Bourque had 30+ 16 times, 40+ 8 times and 50+ twice. Peaking at 59.
And before all the talk about Bourque playing half of his career in a higher scoring time...
Leetch who started just 3 years before Lidstrom, played 4 less full seasons and missed more time during those 16 seasons than Lidstrom STILL managed 30+ 6 times, 40+ 3 times and 50+ once. Peaking at 55.
Then of course we have Karlsson in just his 7th season, who also missed most of one of those seasons, already has 30+ 4 times (one at exactly 40), 40+ twice and 50+ once. Peaking at 55 this past season.
Coffey of course...30+ 13 times, 40+ 8 times, 50+ 6 times, 70+ 3 times and 90+ once. Peaking at a ridiculous 92 ES points.
Potvin, in only 15 seasons, 30+ 9 times, 40+ 4 times (50 on the nose twice), 50+ twice. Peaking at 54.
And finally one who doesn't get enough recognition for just how freaking good he really was...Mark Howe. 30+ 6 times, 40+ twice and 50+ once. Peaking at 54.

Considering that Detroit was one of the top and usually the top ESG producing team for more than a decade...please explain to me how Lidstrom deserves to be included in this list?
Time for that famous HF saying me thinks...ready for it?
And it's not even close.
Lidstrom is quite simply not in that class and is much more in line with MacInnis, Chelios and as shown before, Chara, for ES production.
MacInnis, 30+ 4 times, 40+ once. Peaking at 43.
Chelios, 30+ 3 times. Peaking at 35 twice.

Harvey, quite obviously, did not have that kind of disparity amongst his peers.

Now that that is more than just slightly cleared up, we can all return to your regularly scheduled program of attacking Harvey's peers and competition despite the FACT that he faced the very best of those peers and competition on the actual ice many more times a season than Lidstrom did his.
Thanks for watching.

Last edited:

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Last Season

Well first off, it's very clear that Dmen scoring, especially goal scoring was much lower back then.
Once one accounts for the major discouragement of Dmen rushing the puck and prior to adding the Slapshot as a tool for them, one should be able to figure that out for ones self.
Not to mention facing the VERY BEST forwards, Dmen and goalies much, much more often than Lidstrom ever did.

Once again, looking at that chart, it's pretty clear that Kelly is the only one that scored a higher amount of ES points and even then, it's questionable how many of them were as a Dman and not a forward.

As for Lidstrom, he is "put through the ringer" on his ES production because it's clearly much lower than other top offensive Dmen of his time, playing in the same environment.

Going through Lidstrom's breakdowns over the years has left me with 2 main conclusions.

1) That I underestimated Lidstrom's PP QB abilities at first. I thought that they were slightly inferior to Bourque's and Leetch's but have since come to realise that he was in fact about equal in that regard.

2) That Lidstrom's ES production was actually lower than I assumed it was, much lower in fact. At least a level below, maybe even 2 below Bourque, Leetch and now Karlsson in this regard. About on par with Chara for the entire second half of his career says it all.
In 20 seasons, Lidstrom only had 30+ ES points in a season 3 times and had exactly 30 twice. Peaking at 37.
By comparison, Bourque had 30+ 16 times, 40+ 8 times and 50+ twice. Peaking at 59.
And before all the talk about Bourque playing half of his career in a higher scoring time...
Leetch who started just 3 years before Lidstrom, played 4 less full seasons and missed more time during those 16 seasons than Lidstrom STILL managed 30+ 6 times, 40+ 3 times and 50+ once. Peaking at 55.
Then of course we have Karlsson in just his 7th season, who also missed most of one of those seasons, already has 30+ 4 times (one at exactly 40), 40+ twice and 50+ once. Peaking at 55 this past season.
Coffey of course...30+ 13 times, 40+ 8 times, 50+ 6 times, 70+ 3 times and 90+ once. Peaking at a ridiculous 92 ES points.
Potvin, in only 15 seasons, 30+ 9 times, 40+ 4 times (50 on the nose twice), 50+ twice. Peaking at 54.
And finally one who doesn't get enough recognition for just how freaking good he really was...Mark Howe. 30+ 6 times, 40+ twice and 50+ once. Peaking at 54.

Considering that Detroit was one of the top and usually the top ESG producing team for more than a decade...please explain to me how Lidstrom deserves to be included in this list?
Time for that famous HF saying me thinks...ready for it?
And it's not even close.
Lidstrom is quite simply not in that class and is much more in line with MacInnis, Chelios and as shown before, Chara, for ES production.
MacInnis, 30+ 4 times, 40+ once. Peaking at 43.
Chelios, 30+ 3 times. Peaking at 35 twice.

Harvey, quite obviously, did not have that kind of disparity amongst his peers.

Now that that is more than just slightly cleared up, we can all return to your regularly scheduled program of attacking Harvey's peers and competition despite the FACT that he faced the very best of those peers and competition on the actual ice many more times a season than Lidstrom did his.
Thanks for watching.

Interesting last season comparison for ES performance. Harvey and Lidstrom each played 70 games.

http://www.hockey-reference.com/players/h/harvedo01.html

Doug Harvey scored 15 ES points, little playing time on the PP, mainly ES and PK.

http://www.hockey-reference.com/players/l/lidstni01.html

Lidstrom, playing on a team that scored over 40 more goals, only generated 13 ES points.

One of the more interesting games of the 1968-69 season, October 24, 1968. St. Louis 2 Boston 1. Doug Harvey started the two plays leading up to both late ES St. Louis goals that beat Bobby Orr and the Bruins in Boston.

http://www.flyershistory.com/cgi-bin/poboxscore.cgi?H19680031

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Babcock needed to go five years ago. They obstructed and played extremely conservatively to stay in contention, plus their move to the Eastern Conference, which is weaker. Had they remained in the West, they would not have made the playoffs.

Except they would have. Nyquist was carrying the team no matter what. Then they destroyed the central. And then this year they easily beat out the wild

danincanada

Feb 11, 2008
Interesting last season comparison for ES performance. Harvey and Lidstrom each played 70 games.

http://www.hockey-reference.com/players/h/harvedo01.html

Doug Harvey scored 15 ES points, little playing time on the PP, mainly ES and PK.

http://www.hockey-reference.com/players/l/lidstni01.html

Lidstrom, playing on a team that scored over 40 more goals, only generated 13 ES points.

One of the more interesting games of the 1968-69 season, October 24, 1968. St. Louis 2 Boston 1. Doug Harvey started the two plays leading up to both late ES St. Louis goals that beat Bobby Orr and the Bruins in Boston.

http://www.flyershistory.com/cgi-bin/poboxscore.cgi?H19680031

It's not really that interesting actually. Why only compare the last season of each players career when we have their whole careers to compare with each other?

Besides, the Red Wings only scored 27 more ES goals, which is what really matters when comparing ES stats. Lidstrom was also playing with a hairline fracture for most of the second half of the season.

http://detroit.sbnation.com/detroit...klas-lidstrom-injury-ankle-fracture-red-wings

This is almost as bad as comparing defenseman who got to play their prime years in the high scoring 80's and early 90's as proof that Lidstrom didn't compare well with his "peers" in ES scoring. While we're at it we should compare Harvey's ES stats with defenseman from the 70's and pretend it's a fair comparison.

I'm about finished here. The rebuttals and arguments are getting weaker and weaker. Lidstrom and Harvey were mirror images of each other in nearly every way, except Lidstrom had better raw offensive stats, better adjusted offensive stats, and better team finishes. He also faced elite Americans and European defenders for his accolades whereas Harvey only faced the best Canadians of the middle of the 20th Century. Therefore, their peers can't be looked at on equal terms. This should make it a rather easy decision for anyone with a clear mind.

Until someone actually comes up with a good argument for why Harvey deserves to be ranked higher using the regular metrics everyone uses around these parts then I'm just going to assume there isn't one. I've always questioned how one could be ranked # 2 and the other # 5. Those are their jersey numbers but they sure as heck aren't where they should rank all-time.

Rhiessan71

Just a Fool
Feb 17, 2003
Guelph, Ont
Visit site
I'm about finished here.

About finished?
No sir, you were finished about 5 pages ago.

All you have done is present conjecture and biased theories with little to no solid proof backing them up.
Now, you're doing exactly what I said you were going to do, take the massive amount of evidence contrary to your opinion and you're going to try to dismiss and ignore it all out of hand.
Just like you do in every Bourque vs Lidstrom thread when you are thoroughly overwhelmed with fact.

You can try and dismiss all those Dmen under the illusion of 80's/early 90's scoring but no one's buying it.
#1) ES scoring has fluctuated to a much lesser degree than over-all scoring has through the years.
#2) Leetch is only a few years off Lidstrom's career and only a mere 2 years older.
#3) You still haven't even attempted to explain how that offensive dynamo Chara was pretty much on par with half of Lidstrom's career ES production.
#4) Last I checked, Karlsson wasn't even born until 1990.
#5) Bourque had 30+ 16 times, 40+ 8 times and 50+ twice. Peaking at 59. Regardless of scoring levels, that's insane ES production and if it was so much easier back then, then how come Bourque was the only one able to accomplish it almost double anyone else not named Coffey?

Sorry my friend, your dismiss, ignore and pretend it doesn't exist by clamping your ears shut while continuing to repeat yourself aint gonna cut it this time.

danincanada

Feb 11, 2008
This is a direct comparison with the chart used for Harvey's era, using 8 of Lidstrom's prime seasons in comparison with the other 7 top scoring defenseman.

Top-scoring Defencemen, 98/99 to 06/07
Player | GP | G | A | P | ESG | ESA | ESP | PPG | PPA | PPP | SHG | SHA | SHP | ESP/70 | PPP/70 | SHP/70 | P/70
Nicklas Lidstrom | 645 | 115 | 387 | 502 | 48 | 169 | 217 | 59 | 208 | 267 | 8 | 10 | 18 | 24 | 29 | 2 | 54
Sergei Gonchar | 588 | 138 | 313 | 451 | 72 | 130 | 202 | 64 | 177 | 241 | 2 | 6 | 8 | 24 | 29 | 1 | 54
Sergei Zubov | 632 | 84 | 326 | 410 | 30 | 141 | 171 | 52 | 181 | 233 | 2 | 4 | 6 | 19 | 26 | 1 | 45
Rob Blake | 587 | 123 | 260 | 383 | 48 | 133 | 181 | 71 | 119 | 190 | 4 | 8 | 12 | 22 | 23 | 1 | 46
Scott Niedermayer | 599 | 88 | 289 | 377 | 52 | 163 | 215 | 35 | 121 | 156 | 1 | 5 | 6 | 25 | 18 | 1 | 44
Chris Pronger | 506 | 82 | 293 | 375 | 32 | 118 | 150 | 49 | 166 | 215 | 1 | 9 | 10 | 21 | 30 | 1 | 52
Mathieu Schneider | 579 | 105 | 247 | 352 | 55 | 100 | 155 | 47 | 145 | 192 | 3 | 2 | 5 | 19 | 23 | 1 | 43
Thomas Kaberle | 599 | 61 | 288 | 349 | 41 | 131 | 172 | 19 | 148 | 167 | 1 | 9 | 10 | 20 | 20 | 1 | 41

No one is comparing Harvey with the 70's where the scoring went up so this is what should be used in terms of Lidstrom's era as well. It's the only fair way to do it because all of these defenders played the same seasons.

danincanada

Feb 11, 2008
As per both era charts, everyone can see that no one was producing big ES points during Lidstrom's prime just like no one was doing it during Harvey's. Lidstrom was actually higher up the elite list in this regard than Harvey though. I was surprised Harvey would be that far down considering the forwards he played with but his style was quite conservative. Both tended to rely more on the PP and both were elite in that regard.

If one is going to be "punished" for not producing ES numbers like elite defenders did from the 70's to the early 90's, and now the outlier Karlsson, than the other has to be as well. The double standard treatment doesn't work and it shouldn't be qualified in this comparison.

The influence of elite European defenders plus the American Schneider rears it's head once more for the modern era. Par for the course.

Rhiessan71

Just a Fool
Feb 17, 2003
Guelph, Ont
Visit site
This is a direct comparison with the chart used for Harvey's era, using 8 of Lidstrom's prime seasons in comparison with the other 7 top scoring defenseman.

Top-scoring Defencemen, 98/99 to 06/07
Nicklas Lidstrom | 645 | 115 | 387 | 502 | 48 | 169 | 217 | 59 | 208 | 267 | 8 | 10 | 18 | 24 | 29 | 2 | 54
Sergei Gonchar | 588 | 138 | 313 | 451 | 72 | 130 | 202 | 64 | 177 | 241 | 2 | 6 | 8 | 24 | 29 | 1 | 54
Sergei Zubov | 632 | 84 | 326 | 410 | 30 | 141 | 171 | 52 | 181 | 233 | 2 | 4 | 6 | 19 | 26 | 1 | 45
Rob Blake | 587 | 123 | 260 | 383 | 48 | 133 | 181 | 71 | 119 | 190 | 4 | 8 | 12 | 22 | 23 | 1 | 46
Scott Niedermayer | 599 | 88 | 289 | 377 | 52 | 163 | 215 | 35 | 121 | 156 | 1 | 5 | 6 | 25 | 18 | 1 | 44
Chris Pronger | 506 | 82 | 293 | 375 | 32 | 118 | 150 | 49 | 166 | 215 | 1 | 9 | 10 | 21 | 30 | 1 | 52
Mathieu Schneider | 579 | 105 | 247 | 352 | 55 | 100 | 155 | 47 | 145 | 192 | 3 | 2 | 5 | 19 | 23 | 1 | 43
Thomas Kaberle | 599 | 61 | 288 | 349 | 41 | 131 | 172 | 19 | 148 | 167 | 1 | 9 | 10 | 20 | 20 | 1 | 41

No one is comparing Harvey with the 70's where the scoring went up so this is what should be used in terms of Lidstrom's era as well. It's the only fair way to do it because all of these defenders played the same seasons.

See, here's the problems...first off, did you actually look at the names on that list before posting it? Not a sinlge one of them would be considered a great offensive Dman. Some good ones but not great.
Second, no one on Lidstrom's list is on a level offesnively with Kelly or most of them with Gadsby.

Once again, all it looks like to me is that Lidstrom is just barely leading what is really, a weak pack and there just quite simply wasn't a Dman playing at the time that was capable of being dominant offensively at even strength like a Bourque.

Here's the last 7 seasons since Karlsson came into the League
Top-scoring Defencemen, 09/10-15/16
Eric Karlsson | 479 | 100 | 285 | 385 | 77 | 156 | 233 | 22 | 128 | 150 | 1 | 1 | 2 | 34 | 22 | 0 | 56
Duncan Keith | 511 | 53 | 277 | 330 | 32 | 170 | 202 | 19 | 97 | 116 | 2 | 10 | 12 | 28 | 16 | 1 | 45
Keith Yandle | 542 | 63 | 262 | 325 | 43 | 136 | 179 | 20 | 125 | 145 | 0 | 1 | 1 | 23 | 19 | 0 | 42
Shea Weber | 521 | 118 | 202 | 320 | 57 | 120 | 177 | 57 | 81 | 138 | 4 | 1 | 5 | 24 | 19 | 1 | 43
Kris Letang | 418 | 64 | 236 | 300 | 40 | 133 | 173 | 22 | 101 | 123 | 2 | 2 | 4 | 29 | 21 | 1 | 50
Drew Doughty | 525 | 74 | 217 | 291 | 37 | 124 | 161 | 36 | 90 | 126 | 1 | 3 | 4 | 21 | 17 | 1 | 39

Now just keep in mind that unlike Lidstrom's chart, this one includes Karlsson's first 2 seasons prior to his prime.
Take away those and only count Karlsson so far in his prime and his p/70 skyrocket ahead of everyone elses bigtime...
ESP/70 - 40
PPP/70 - 24
P/70 - 64

Doesn't look like anyone is really producing at ES much more than any of the players on Lidstrom's list. Keith is slighty ahead playing on a pretty good team, Letang as well who gets to play with Crosby and Malkin of course and Karlsson...who is simply blowing everyone away.

No, the biggest difference about those charts is PP points or lack of them for the current group. Obviously playing when PPO's have been at their lowest in 40 years will have something to do with it.

And of course that we actually have a player of Bourque's level again finally that can dominant offensively at even strength. That should easily be the most obvious thing we should take away from all this.

Last edited:

danincanada

Feb 11, 2008
You realize the only hall of famers in that list are Canadians, right?

It's not as simple as HOFer and non-HOFer. Are they inducting more players each year now even though the NHL has 30 teams and we have far more truly elite players, including Americans and Europeans? Nope, and therefore it's far more difficult to make it in now than during Harvey's time. All you had to do was have a long career back then and you were pretty much a shoe in. Players like Zubov and Gonchar had terrific and long careers and they are question marks right now. They both should eventually get in though in my opinion. It took 30 years after he retired for Fern Flaman to get inducted. Does his career really impress you more than Zubov or Gonchar?

danincanada

Feb 11, 2008
Not completely fair because they are much different eras but just for comparisons sake:

Lidstrom vs. Harvey
Doug Harvey | 534 | 49 | 249 | 298 | 31 | 115 | 146 | 18 | 132 | 150 | 0 | 2 | 2 | 19 | 20 | 0 | 39

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Criteria

It's not as simple as HOFer and non-HOFer. Are they inducting more players each year now even though the NHL has 30 teams and we have far more truly elite players, including Americans and Europeans? Nope, and therefore it's far more difficult to make it in now than during Harvey's time. All you had to do was have a long career back then and you were pretty much a shoe in. Players like Zubov and Gonchar had terrific and long careers and they are question marks right now. They both should eventually get in though in my opinion. It took 30 years after he retired for Fern Flaman to get inducted. Does his career really impress you more than Zubov or Gonchar?

Simply not accurate.

O6 era typical season saw upwards of 150-155 players participate in the NHL. Any given season would have app 30 to 40 future HHOFers participate, tending toward the lower middle.

Presently or since 1990 you have app 800 to 1,000 players participate in the NHL every season. 2015-16 you had 898 skaters and 93 goalies = 991 players. Out of the skaters only 558 played more than half the season(41 games) and on 25 goalies played more than 41 games.

In the O6 era app 70% of the players would play at least half the scheduled regular season games, past season 58.8% of the players play at least half the teams scheduled games.

Goaltending is particularly vulnerable since the present day NHL, regardless of the rationalizing, is five goalies short of one regular goalie per team.

The HHOFers tend to come from the top 100 players in any given season(excluding injuries or rookie call-ups). Since 1990 any given NHL season is trending to 45 to 55 future HHOFers. Too many marginals with inflated offensive stats getting in because someone gets to play on the PP, 1st line minutes and goal hang on weak teams. Plus everyone gets to play against fodder skaters and goaltenders further padding stats.

Having watched Flaman, Gonchar and Zubov play, it is easy to see why Flaman is a HHOFer while the other two are not and unlikely to become HHOFERs.Flaman could play the lead thirty minutes defensively against the leading forwards with size of his era. Howe, Beliveau, Bathgate or speed - M. Richard, B.Hull, or skill. Leader of the most successful defensive group against the dynasty Canadiens. Gonchar and Zubov were far from reliable defensively, never part of a shutdown role.

IDeyChopNaira*

Yes, Harvey has been more dominant against the competition than Lidstrom.

But Lidstrom has played in the much more competitive league stacked with talent from all over the globe.

Therefore, I would rank Lidstrom higher than Harvey

danincanada

Feb 11, 2008
Simply not accurate.

O6 era typical season saw upwards of 150-155 players participate in the NHL. Any given season would have app 30 to 40 future HHOFers participate, tending toward the lower middle.

Presently or since 1990 you have app 800 to 1,000 players participate in the NHL every season. 2015-16 you had 898 skaters and 93 goalies = 991 players. Out of the skaters only 558 played more than half the season(41 games) and on 25 goalies played more than 41 games.

In the O6 era app 70% of the players would play at least half the scheduled regular season games, past season 58.8% of the players play at least half the teams scheduled games.

Goaltending is particularly vulnerable since the present day NHL, regardless of the rationalizing, is five goalies short of one regular goalie per team.

The HHOFers tend to come from the top 100 players in any given season(excluding injuries or rookie call-ups). Since 1990 any given NHL season is trending to 45 to 55 future HHOFers. Too many marginals with inflated offensive stats getting in because someone gets to play on the PP, 1st line minutes and goal hang on weak teams. Plus everyone gets to play against fodder skaters and goaltenders further padding stats.

Far more talent streams producing elite players while the HHOF hasn't opened it's doors any wider each year negates all of this. The best players rise to the top but there are a lot more of those now. I know you don't want to agree but it's a reality. All we need to do is look at the composition of the league and it's elite players now as proof.

Having watched Flaman, Gonchar and Zubov play, it is easy to see why Flaman is a HHOFer while the other two are not and unlikely to become HHOFERs.Flaman could play the lead thirty minutes defensively against the leading forwards with size of his era. Howe, Beliveau, Bathgate or speed - M. Richard, B.Hull, or skill. Leader of the most successful defensive group against the dynasty Canadiens. Gonchar and Zubov were far from reliable defensively, never part of a shutdown role.

Zubov averaged 30:16 per game and was +13 in the Stars Stanley Cup run in '99. Meanwhile the team had a 1.67 GAA in those 23 games (the GAA that season was 2.63). That's enough proof that he could be "reliable defensively".

Gonchar also averaged 23:03 in the Pens Cup run in '09 so his defensive play was more than adequate

Both players were superior offensively to Flaman.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Wider Doors ?

Far more talent streams producing elite players while the HHOF hasn't opened it's doors any wider each year negates all of this. The best players rise to the top but there are a lot more of those now. I know you don't want to agree but it's a reality. All we need to do is look at the composition of the league and it's elite players now as proof.

Zubov averaged 30:16 per game and was +13 in the Stars Stanley Cup run in '99. Meanwhile the team had a 1.67 GAA in those 23 games (the GAA that season was 2.63). That's enough proof that he could be "reliable defensively".

Gonchar also averaged 23:03 in the Pens Cup run in '09 so his defensive play was more than adequate

Both players were superior offensively to Flaman.

Actually the HHOF has widened its doors. Last generation has seen about 20 non-Canadians added and the overall pace has increased as stated previously per 150 any given season:

http://www.hhof.com/htmlInduct/indyearbyyear.shtml

Flaman played in the two defenceman pairing era.First pairing - Flaman would have played in the 32-35 minutes per game range, every game. So the outlier numbers you found for Gonchar and Zubov do not impress. Only serve as the foundation for the question, "Why each could not do it for a minimum of ten seasons like Flaman?"

Talent stream that is shallow on goalies and skaters worth keeping is not impressive.

danincanada

Feb 11, 2008
Actually the HHOF has widened its doors. Last generation has seen about 20 non-Canadians added and the overall pace has increased as stated previously per 150 any given season:

http://www.hhof.com/htmlInduct/indyearbyyear.shtml

Flaman played in the two defenceman pairing era.First pairing - Flaman would have played in the 32-35 minutes per game range, every game. So the outlier numbers you found for Gonchar and Zubov do not impress. Only serve as the foundation for the question, "Why each could not do it for a minimum of ten seasons like Flaman?"

Talent stream that is shallow on goalies and skaters worth keeping is not impressive.

They typically induct 4 players per year now. In the mid to late 90's they cut that down for a few years because they inducted so many prior, as if they ran out of worthy players. Flaman being inducted in '90, which was 30 years after he retired points to this. If he took 30 years to induct then why do you feel Zubov and/or Gonchar will never be inducted?

You know the pace was far slower during Flaman's era and the shifts were far longer as well. Only top defenseman with extreme endurance can handle 30 minutes a game in the modern era and those playoff runs proved Zubov and Gonchar were defensively responsible.

The talent stream is not shallow in the modern era, it is several times larger than the 06 at least. This is a fact you will have to come to grips with eventually. "Not worth keeping" players, as you state, just shows there are always new waves of players coming up. More than the O6 era because it's not just central Canada feeding the NHL anymore, is it?

Rhiessan71

Just a Fool
Feb 17, 2003
Guelph, Ont
Visit site
Not completely fair because they are much different eras but just for comparisons sake:

Lidstrom vs. Harvey

Not completely fair because Lidstrom only came into the League during Bourque's 8 year stretch from 86/87-93/94 but ya know, just for comparisons sake and all that...

Lidstrom vs. Bourque
Raymond Bourque | 598 | 158 | 511 | 669 | 93 | 247 | 340 | 59 | 255 | 314 | 6 | 9 | 15 | 40 | 37 | 2 | 78

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
1957 Soviet Salaries

Previously we had glimpses at what elite European and Soviet Hockey players earned during the 1950s. Contrasted to wages and situations in various parts of Canada.

In August of 1957 The Gazette, ran a series of articles detailing selected vignettes about Soviet life and salaries:

August 19, 1957. Bus driver, interesting benefits package, insight into daily life:

https://news.google.com/newspapers?id=Z5QhAAAAIBAJ&sjid=epkFAAAAIBAJ&hl=fr&pg=7089,2985778

August 20, 1957. Physician

https://news.google.com/newspapers?id=aJQhAAAAIBAJ&sjid=epkFAAAAIBAJ&hl=fr&pg=6986,3223522

interesting contrast the same day with the front & second page story about the Murdochville strike about the right to unionize. Murdochville workers were paid about $1,000, more per year than the average Canadian worker:

https://news.google.com/newspapers?
id=aJQhAAAAIBAJ&sjid=epkFAAAAIBAJ&hl=fr&pg=6850%2C3206788

Remember the efforts of the NHL players to organize an association circa 1956-57.

August 21, Writer, scroll to page 4. Sideways.

https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=Fr8DH2VBP9sC&dat=19570821&printsec=frontpage&hl=fr

August 23, Local Party Official:

https://news.google.com/newspapers?id=apQhAAAAIBAJ&sjid=epkFAAAAIBAJ&hl=fr&pg=6994,3843993

August 24, 1957 Teacher, scroll to page 4 sideways:

https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=Fr8DH2VBP9sC&dat=19570824&printsec=frontpage&hl=fr

Two takeaways.

Athletes in the Soviet Union and Europe especially hockey players had distinct advantages that did not make the NHL option attractive.

Compared to other workers with at best a secondary school education, the NHL option was attractive short term. Any hockey player in Canada and the USA with a post secondary education had many more attractive work options.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax

Not sure you want point to '09 as any proof of Gonchar's defensive reliability. First of all, everyone should be pretty aware that Scuderi and Gill took all the hardest defensive assignments before even looking at the numbers. And "as it turns out", Gonchar not only faced not only really low "quality of competition", he also started in the offensive zone FAR more often than the other regular defensemen. He basically had his minutes managed to give him the most opportunities to generate offense with guys like Crosby (scope out his zone starts, etc). That he was "more than adequate" defensively in such a role is hardly a cap tip to him - especially considering the subjects of this conversation.

I always thought he was at his best on both sides of the puck while still on a weak string of teams in Washington, anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad