Prospect Info: Nick Suzuki Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I don't see why you can't improve on skating, kids start out skating at all different ages. I could be wrong but I seem to remember reading that Mike Komisarek didn't start skating till he was 13 or so. Granted that's not the best example but my point is just that not everyone is at the same experience level and that some didn't have the best technique so that going to someone that knows how to improve their stride or whatever they feel will help them to improve. If you look at DD he improved his skating, McCarron look improved last year for sure after hiring a power skating coach and he was 23. Didn't someone just post about Jeff Skinner working with a figure skating coach in the off-season every year?

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
I don't see why you can't improve on skating, kids start out skating at all different ages. I could be wrong but I seem to remember reading that Mike Komisarek didn't start skating till he was 13 or so. Granted that's not the best example but my point is just that not everyone is at the same experience level and that some didn't have the best technique so that going to someone that knows how to improve their stride or whatever they feel will help them to improve. If you look at DD he improved his skating, McCarron look improved last year for sure after hiring a power skating coach and he was 23. Didn't someone just post about Jeff Skinner working with a figure skating coach in the off-season every year?

Jeff skinner in fact, was a figure skater. And I always thought it showed in his skating his dexterity on the icei

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland

Damn that wrister...

Suzuki will get a great chance to play in a team full of good supporting players that is waiting for their next superstar. Looking at that practice alone, he will be playing in an offensive role... If he gets fed in an offensive role, sky is the limit.

Even in a defensive role, I would still expect 20+ goals from him.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
The year is 2015. Connor McDavid has just been drafted, and Jiri Hudler and Nick Foligno have just put up 76 and 73 points respectively. Thank god nobody would dare compare McDavid to the great Hudler or the fantastic Foligno.
I have no idea what your point is. Yeah I am sure Suzuki will resemble Connor McDavid in short order

ProspectsSTC

Jul 12, 2014
I have no idea what your point is. Yeah I am sure Suzuki will resemble Connor McDavid in short order
Point being it's asinine to suggest you can't compare a player who hasn't played at the NHL with a player who has found success at that level. But no, people see the name McDavid and immediately ree

Reactions: Redux91

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Point being it's asinine to suggest you can't compare a player who hasn't played at the NHL with a player who has found success at that level. But no, people see the name McDavid and immediately ree

Personally I am not convinced Suzuki will be a productive NHLer. I hope I am wrong but until he proves it....

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Personally I am not convinced Suzuki will be a productive NHLer. I hope I am wrong but until he proves it....

You can say that with most actually,always sort of like a crap shoot. He has a lot of skill and continues to improve and works at it and will eventually be more than adequate to earn a roster spot somewhere.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

I think I've seen one other poster say the same.

I don't know what it is about the player that leads you to that conclusion but any of us could be wrong so let's see what he shows at training camp.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I think I've seen one other poster say the same.

I don't know what it is about the player that leads you to that conclusion but any of us could be wrong so let's see what he shows at training camp.
I hope he becomes the next Marner honestly, that would be awesome

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
You can say that with most actually,always sort of like a crap shoot. He has a lot of skill and continues to improve and works at it and will eventually be more than adequate to earn a roster spot somewhere.
You are correct and I hope he becomes a star

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I hope he becomes the next Marner honestly, that would be awesome

I hope for the same but I also know we're just giving opinions and we all have our reasons for what we're thinking.

I know where you're coming from -- I have a similar view on some other players but still hope I'm wrong.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
Skinner used to compete at an incredibly high level. Pretty sure he competed nationally. He chose hockey (probably a good choice). Not sure he still practices but I could see it.

Mete is also a pretty good figure skater I'm told.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
Barkov and Draisaitl both worked on their skating post-draft and they look nothing like they used to. They improved significantly. Datsyuk would be another one.

Even already great skaters like Point somehow managed to significantly improve.

It happens, it actually happens relatively often, but there are a lot of factors at play. Not all players will have that kind of curve. Someone like Kotkaniemi likely has a higher chance at seeing a significant improvement (or should I say, continue to).

Mcphee was once also so willingly prepared to give Forsberg for even less... So there goes that argumenttoo.
Let’s be clear. I am talking about powerful skating with the puck.

This is my concern with Suzuki. But I’m not panicking about it.

I improved my skating hugely at 18 without the puck. Mainly by skating all ways for hours without my stick. Became a decent skater. That’s a basic thing every player should do.

But doing this only and beating d men with the puck is very difficult. Never did it that well with the puck unless it was speed outside or a breakaway. And that was against really bad d men. That’s not good enough. It is speed and especially acceleration and lateral movement with the puck that is required in the nhl.

Last edited:

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
Lol, you're born with skating ability? What am I reading in this thread?
Come on np. Players at this level are all born with good skating ability. Then it takes hard work to become a very good nhl skater. If you are a klutz skater at age 6 you can forget about the nhl. It’s over.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Let’s be clear. I am talking about powerful skating with the puck.

This is my concern with Suzuki. But I’m not panicking about it.

I improved my skating hugely at 18 without the puck. Mainly by skating all ways for hours without my stick. Became a decent skater. That’s a basic thing every player should do.

But doing this only and beating d men with the puck is very difficult. Never did it that well with the puck unless it was speed outside or a breakaway. And that was against really bad d men. That’s not good enough. It is speed and especially acceleration and lateral movement with the puck that is required in the nhl.

Yes. And these cited players improved their skating ability with the puck.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
It's good to see Hishon is still able to do things he loves.

Really looking forward to see this kid play. It's why I'm usually most stoked about preseason over everything else.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Kotkaniemi's wrist shot is pretty darn good too. He just needs to work on release and accuracy.

To be fair that is alot to have to work on.......I think he will end up with a decent wrist shot but the one timer and snap shot are more likely to be his strong points especially if he continues to us such a long stick.

Dagistitsyn

Aug 27, 2011
Nova Scotia
Good question. He has indicated he prefers center and the Habs have agreed to develop him as a center — so, like other posts have mentioned, needs to be stronger to stick at the position.

Which is something he can gain on his own time in a Bouchardian environment.

I see. With Domi / Kotkaniemi / Danault / Poehling down the middle, it'll be interesting to see how he slots in at C and who he could potentially bump to the wing at some point. I figured Suzuki would just end up as a RW in the NHL.

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I see. With Domi / Kotkaniemi / Danault / Poehling down the middle, it'll be interesting to see how he slots in at C and who he could potentially bump to the wing at some point. I figured Suzuki would just end up as a RW in the NHL.

He's a center but might have to play a little RW until a spot opens up for him. Like RP,a center,but might have to play a little LW till things get evolved some. PD is the one that moves sooner than Domi,imao.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
He's a center but might have to play a little RW until a spot opens up for him. Like RP,a center,but might have to play a little LW till things get evolved some. PD is the one that moves sooner than Domi,imao.

You may be right on that however, if he starts the season in Laval, I have to believe he’d be exclusively used at center.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad