Prospect Info: Nick Suzuki Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
This year I've watched about a dozen of Suzuki's games. The kid has an extremely high hockey IQ. He is constantly reading the play and reading it correctly. I would say that is his strongest skill and I suspect it might get him traded out of Montreal.

Constantly reading the play makes him look disengaged, lacking intensity. Don't forget MB sent him back to juniors telling him he needs to play with a higher intensity. That's like telling a fox not to kill the hens. I saw his pre-season with the Habs' last year. He really hasn't changed anything in his game. And that might get MB to think Suzuki is not a good fit for his team. The Habs' system this past season doesn't allow for Suzuki's style of play. That plus we have an embarrassment of riches at center and a weakness at left defense.

BTW I'm racking my brain to think of a player who has a similar style to Suzuki and can't come up with one. By style I mean he plays a wait and see game. Like a cat stalking a prey. He expends energy only when he is ready to pounce. Most NHLers are constantly moving.

Last edited:

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
This year I've watched about a dozen of Suzuki's games. The kid has an extremely high hockey IQ. He is constantly reading the play and reading it correctly. I would say that is his strongest skill and I suspect it might get him traded out of Montreal.

Constantly reading the play makes him look disengaged, lacking intensity. Don't forget MB sent him back to juniors telling him he needs to play with a higher intensity. That's like telling a fox not to kill the hens. I saw his pre-season with the Habs' last year. He really hasn't changed anything in his game. And that might get MB to think Suzuki is not a good fit for his team. The Habs' system this past season doesn't allow for Suzuki's style of play. That plus we have an embarrassment of riches at center and a weakness at left defense.

BTW I'm racking my brain to think of a player who has a similar style to Suzuki and can't come up with one. By style I mean he plays a wait and see game. Like a cat stalking a prey. He expends energy only when he is ready to pounce. Most NHLers are constantly moving.
As someone who grew up watching JT, they look really similar. Obviously JT was a prodigy but similar in many ways. Elite IQ, playmaking, shooting and hands but skating and strength were not the best. Give either any sort of space with the puck and it's over.

I don't think MB will look to trade. He holds him in very high regard. He probably believes that he could be key on the PP and finally give the Habs a truely lethal sniper. He's different than the teams identity but that can be a great thing. KK is also quite different than the rest of the Habs so I doubt it's an issue

Reactions: Chez Jesperi

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
As someone who grew up watching JT, they look really similar. Obviously JT was a prodigy but similar in many ways. Elite IQ, playmaking, shooting and hands but skating and strength were not the best. Give either any sort of space with the puck and it's over.

I thought of JT but he is way more engaged than Suzuki. I also thought of Patches but he wasn't on the same level when it cam to IQ. And Patches was always directing other people instead of doing his job on the defensive side of the game.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
I thought of JT but he is way more engaged than Suzuki. I also thought of Patches but he wasn't on the same level when it cam to IQ. And Patches was always directing other people instead of doing his job on the defensive side of the game.
JT in the OHL wasn't super "engaged". It looked like he was floating but the puck always ended up on his stick somehow. Just always in the right spots anticipating where the puck will be.

I also don't like saying Suzuki isn't engaged. Hes very engaged but he plays the game differently

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
JT in the OHL wasn't super "engaged". It looked like he was floating but the puck always ended up on his stick somehow. Just always in the right spots anticipating where the puck will be.

I also don't like saying Suzuki isn't engaged. Hes very engaged but he plays the game differently

He plays a lot like Mike Cammalleri, IMO.

Not the most engaged, but always in the right spot and has the release to make you pay for it. Cammy was an underrated player in his prime, and injuries derailed him quite a bit.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018

I disagree!

Suzuki reminds me of Patrice Bergeron but a bit slower. Smart player who is creative and defensively responsible. Julien will love the kid!

Anyone else see a poor man’s Bergeron?

Reactions: Habby Gilmore

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
No comparisons. Play your game. Be only you. Don't try to imitate someone else. Impress us. Impress yourself.

Reactions: Doxinoctae

Jul 6, 2016

?????? Care to explain, please.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I disagree!

Suzuki reminds me of Patrice Bergeron but a bit slower. Smart player who is creative and defensively responsible. Julien will love the kid!

If Suzuki is slow that's a huge problem. I just hope he's not and everything else will take care of itself.

Having said that, Ryan O'Reilly is somewhat slow amd under 6 feet, but has managed to have a very good career.

Jul 6, 2016
I disagree!

I see a more mature and intelligent Mike Ribeiro.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
If Suzuki is slow that's a huge problem. I just hope he's not and everything else will take care of itself.

Having said that, Ryan O'Reilly is somewhat slow amd under 6 feet, but has managed to have a very good career.

I don’t think he’s slow - but he slows the play down on purpose to create offense. What I hope he develops is a more direct attacking style over time.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
Bergeron, Ribeiro, Tavares and Cammy. All vastly different players (other than JT and Bergeron I guess). Truth is, Suzuki excels in many different facets of the game. Like cammy, he has a lethal release (though different). Like Ribeiro, he can break ankles with his smooth hands and edgework. Like Bergeron, he plays a very smart defensive game that can frustrate opposition ( as seen with the London Knights lol). And finally, like JT, his massive big brain plays make up for his less than great athleticism.

He's a pretty unique player that could be elite if he follows in JTs steps and works on his strength and pace

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad