NCAA: Nick Saban retiring, Alabama to hire Kalen DeBoer

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
I think it’ll be Lanning. He apparently wants one of the big SEC jobs. He may also wait to see what Harbaugh does at Michigan because it’s been rumoured Kelly may go to Michigan

nickp91

Jun 29, 2011
We are about to see maybe the craziest coaching search in college football history from Alabama with Saban retiring

Your Boy Troy

Sep 19, 2013
Brampton, Ontario
If Urban Meyer were to ever return to College Football (not that I believe he ever will), this job alone might be enough to entice him. It sure beats the unfounded speculation of him going to Lansing, Michigan (lol).

Anyway, what a hell of a career for Saban. The GOAT. It was just pure domination throughout his Alabama tenure.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
All the casual fans are like "That's it! the Alabama reign of terror is over! finally some parity"

May i introduce you to the university of Georgia?

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
I like to think the Machine from Bama Rush forced him into retirement for wearing the wrong color tie to the end of season banquet

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I think Saban saw the winds changing. The other conferences doing what the SEC did for years. Paying players. I think the playing field has been even again. If USC don't rise again i'll be shocked. Paid to play in LA as a college kid vs middle of nowhere college town in the south.

Dabo seems to be struggling with the NIL/transfer portal changes
Beat me to it. The SEC teams still have more resources than most programs with their bagmen NIL syndicates, but the fact of the matter is that the playing field will no longer be so lopsided. We're officially in a new era here, and we've already seen the writing on the wall with guys like Roy and Jay Wright retiring in recent years on the hoops side. Now football will start seeing some attrition at the top of the coaching ranks.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
It’s surprising but not shocking
I can't imagine how much is sucks to be a coach now with the transfer portal and NIL thing. Recruiting has always sucked, but now you're not only recruiting high school kids but also the kids already on your team you hope to keep. Your roster for the next season can't have one name in pen because there's a risk any guy could leave.

Coaches are paid more than ever, but the job is also worse than ever.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I can't imagine how much is sucks to be a coach now with the transfer portal and NIL thing. Recruiting has always sucked, but now you're not only recruiting high school kids but also the kids already on your team you hope to keep. Your roster for the next season can't have one name in pen because there's a risk any guy could leave.

We said the same thing about Urb when he left Florida. Urb knew the score. He was losing the war to Saban. And now Saban probably believes the same thing, or at least it ain't worth it anymore. But if he thought he could win it next year, I think he would've stayed.

Reactions: Voight and DaveG
Sep 19, 2008

In the meeting Wednesday, Saban thanked his players for the way they bought in and told them that he'd thought out his decision carefully. But with the way college football has changed in terms of the transfer portal and tampering, NIL being used as a guise for bidding for high school players and transfers, and the recruiting calendar being extended, he told his players that the time was right for him to retire.

Sources told Low that Saban had grown increasingly frustrated with "what college football had turned into. He's all about team and building a team and developing players, and now the only thing that seems to matter is who can get what in the NIL and who can get the biggest deal."

Sep 19, 2008
Screenshot_20240110-233603.png

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
If I'm Dan Lanning, why leave Oregon and all of that Nike money behind the program when you're joining the Big10 to go to Alabama?

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa

On the flip side at least we aren't pretending this is about academics. When you see some players interviewed in the NFL, especially from Southern schools that are dumb as rocks and you think how the hell are you supposed to have a degree or have made it so far in college. So much shenanigans before with fradulent testing and money under the table. It's still not great with nil but at least it's more like a business rather than the lame excuse about players going through everything for a scholarship while schools make fortunes from them.

Reactions: DaveG

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad