Injury Report: Nick Robertson - 6-8 weeks recovery as of December 10,2022

PROUD PAPA

Sep 20, 2021
I guess the bright side is we get a good look at so many of our prospects but come on already with the injuries.

Reactions: Buds17

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
Hopefully he’ll be okay. Getting ragdolled from such an innocuous play is concerning though. He really needs to decide whether he’s going to be a Marchand/Gallagher type player or a Debrincat/Caufield type player.
His body type and how he's getting manhandled by men should make it pretty clear the type of player he SHOULD be

Nhlpowerweek

Senor
Oct 5, 2022
I hope nick gets right and gets his head tight 👏👏🍁 he be aaight, but still a young fool. He has to learn and concentrate . Not do foolish thangs. He could get injured if doing foolish acts. Dont use drugs young ones neither, stay sharp and strong.

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
Kerfoot and shine should not be used in the same sentence! Lol
Kerfoot could best be employed by making my shoes shine....there I did it.

1670633924117.png

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
His body type and how he's getting manhandled by men should make it pretty clear the type of player he SHOULD be

Robertson should never be the player who thinks he can go in and bang and crash with bigger heavier players, he should use his speed and hockey smarts to compete. Look at Marner he's same weight a couple inches taller and plays an extremely effective game, not banging and crashing and rarely gets hurt. Clearly they don't have the same skillset but they are both small and one gets injured every year for a significant amount of time and the other is rubber band man.

Reactions: arso40

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Did you want him to skate away from the puck in this situation?

Perhaps play smarter without the puck? I don't care who you are you give up 40, 50, 60 lbs and you try to bang and crash, laws of nature dictate you wont come out on top. Robertson has speed, skill and hockey smarts, its time he starts to use them. There are ways for smaller players to effectively compete against bigger players, Robertson current way is clearly not working.

The guy is quickly getting the has potential but cant stay healthy label. It's only a matter of time before other prospects pass him in the depth chart due to him being out of the game. If Knies comes in and plays effectively in the top 6 , do we think Robertson gets another "easy" chance to win a top 6 role? If we bring Bunting back, that locks up one top 6 LW. Knies, Amirov, Hirvonen, Abramov are all another year older and another year closer to competing for a pro roster spot, then there is next years UFA crop. Being injured does not help Robertson secure a roster spot, it does the exact opposite, it opens up the opportunity for someone else to catch the eye of the GM/Coach, he needs to compete smarter.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Kerfoot could best be employed by making my shoes shine....there I did it.

View attachment 619255

Sigh Kerfoot, I've never seen a player on the ice look like he is doing so much but never accomplish anything... you know if Kerfoot is on a rush and he's one on one.. he's going to lose the puck.. you know if he is competing one on one in front of his net ... he's going to lose his man ... 50/50 he's going to lose the puck ... break away? You know he's not scoring. if I'm the competition, I want to line up against Kerfoot.. the guy is literally the definition of a roster "filler" ... He should be fourth line making a $mil a season.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Nobody likes to see anyone get hurt.

However Robertson as a small player is one of my pet peeves of the "typical stereotype" that these little guys can't survive in the big physical NHL.

That wasn't a vicious hit, it was only a penalty for interference since he hadn't touched the puck yet, but it was simply a bigger player making an NHL play on a smaller one and him not surviving the hit.

Unfortuanteatley that matches expectations that size and durability are always going to be an issue, and if that smaller player ends up playing on the perimeter, avoids the high traffic areas and tries to avoid contact to survive then you have a different issue in play to dress a smaller player.

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
Sigh Kerfoot, I've never seen a player on the ice look like he is doing so much but never accomplish anything... you know if Kerfoot is on a rush and he's one on one.. he's going to lose the puck.. you know if he is competing one on one in front of his net ... he's going to lose his man ... 50/50 he's going to lose the puck ... break away? You know he's not scoring. if I'm the competition, I want to line up against Kerfoot.. the guy is literally the definition of a roster "filler" ... He should be fourth line making a $mil a season.
“Never mistake activity for achievement.” –John Wooden

I don't think anything describes Kerfoot more than that quote. He managed to screw up a 4 on 1 somehow the other day. It's actually comical at this point.

How does Kerfoot never get injured?

That guys takes a beating night in night out.
I think it's an extra way to torture the fanbase. He just won't miss a game.

Reactions: Hellcat and Jojalu

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
I feel bad for Nick but that play by Matt Roy was part of the reason I was hoping we could target him in a trade with LA.

Solid RHD, and they have a glut of them already. Would have made for a solid addition.......

Hoping the injury isn't to bad, but it looked an awful lot like a separated shoulder as he was skating off.......... :(

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Did you want him to skate away from the puck in this situation?

Robertson did the right play, go after the puck.

No one should be putting any blame on Robertson for this.

I jokingly mentioned Molly before ... we can hope.

Molitor struggled with injuries for much of his early career, being placed on the disabled list six times between 1980 and 1986. In 1984, Molitor struggled with elbow problems, played in only 13 games and ultimately underwent surgery in an attempt to salvage his career.[5] He played in 140 games in 1985, hitting .297 with 10 home runs and 48 RBIs. He followed that with a .281 average, 9 home runs and 55 RBI in 1986.[8] That year he suffered a hamstring injury, returned for a few days, then reinjured it.[10] He played in 105 games that season.[8]

Would be nice if he stayed with Toronto rather than moving for success.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Robertson should never be the player who thinks he can go in and bang and crash with bigger heavier players, he should use his speed and hockey smarts to compete. Look at Marner he's same weight a couple inches taller and plays an extremely effective game, not banging and crashing and rarely gets hurt. Clearly they don't have the same skillset but they are both small and one gets injured every year for a significant amount of time and the other is rubber band man.
Malgin uses his smaller body effectively on a forecheck as well. He engages physically for a smaller guy, he just doesn’t go into a corner full bore against someone 10 inches taller and 20 pounds heavier and expect to come out winning that battle.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

Not too bad I guess.

We can make a lot about his size, but it is more his balance that needs work. He went flying because he was in the middle of a cross over and only had one skate on the ice. I have seen plenty of 6'3", 220 lbs guys go flying for the same thing. Add in landing awkwardly and they get hurt too.

I just remember Sandin completely laying out Blake Wheeler... And various other guys who were much bigger than him. Some of those could have easily caused the same injury that Robertson suffered.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

Not too bad I guess.

We can make a lot about his size, but it is more his balance that needs work. He went flying because he was in the middle of a cross over and only had one skate on the ice. I have seen plenty of 6'3", 220 lbs guys go flying for the same thing. Add in landing awkwardly and they get hurt too.

I just remember Sandin completely laying out Blake Wheeler... And various other guys who were much bigger than him. Some of those could have easily caused the same injury that Robertson suffered.

Have they said what it is? Shoulder separation grade #?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Malgin uses his smaller body effectively on a forecheck as well. He engages physically for a smaller guy, he just doesn’t go into a corner full bore against someone 10 inches taller and 20 pounds heavier and expect to come out winning that battle.

These things happen in a split second but looks like Matt Roy braced for normal NHL contact and got under Robertson, but there wasn't as much resistance relative to the force he applied since Robertson was mid stride and not gliding or braced. As a result, Robertson rotated into the boards where the damage happened. If that was Roy on Hyman or Tavares or someone of equal size that would have been a bump and maybe a board battle.

Robertson should have gone in there, but maybe you let the defenseman go ahead of you and then pin him with lower center of gravity and then try to poke it loose with support. Not sure how someone like Cole Caufield would be instructed to handle that.

Last edited:
Reactions: crump

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad