Injury Report: Nick Robertson - 6-8 weeks recovery as of December 10,2022

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
Gaudette might be a good call up - has NHL experience, leads Marlies in goals even.

They also still can play Simmonds from time to time.

Does anyone have a Marlies injury report....... seems like a lot of guys have only play limited games (Kral, Kallgren, etc.)

Reactions: Darcy Tucker

Ashdown2

Aug 19, 2006
anderson or gaudette ... come on down ...
your the next contestant on the revolving maple leafs injury replacements

tmlfan98

No More Excuses #MarnerOut
Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
My guess is the Leafs will call up Gaudette. With Jarnkrok still out, the only other wingers currently on the roster the Leafs have tried in the top 6 are Kerfoot and Malgin, and I doubt Keefe wants to slot either of them back in the top 6.

Unlike guys such as SDA/Steeves/Anderson/McMann, Gaudette played on lines with some of our top 6 forwards during the preseason. With 12 goals in 18 games with the Marlies so far (and I'm pretty sure he also leads Marlies under NHL contract in even strength points per game), seems like Gaudette is next in line for a call up.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Really shitty for Nick. Watching the hit, and how he looked leaving the ice, I’m thinking something along the lines of a separated shoulder :/

Re: his play style, there are certainly small guys who succeed with physical games. Marchand and Gallagher being prime examples, but guys like DeBrincat, Sheary, Marchessault, etc. don’t shy away from the danger areas either. However, they’re all great at controlling angles so you almost can never hit them cleanly, counter hitting, and having a strong/wide/stable stance. Nick has improved in these areas, he does better in puck battles and gets blown up less than he did last year, but they’re still weaknesses. Needs to keep working on anticipating contact, angling appropriately, and having a stronger/wider/stabler stance. IMO that’s more likely to make him a success than turning into a perimeter player.

Like, his biggest problem here is that he’s not bracing for the hit, counter hitting, angling/avoiding, anything. He just takes the hit clean while mid-stride, you’re gonna get blown up by that regardless of your size. It was interference, he hadn’t touched the puck yet, but going in for a puck battle like that you do have to be anticipating the hit:

And that is a pretty common trend for Nicky.

Last edited:

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Best case scenario is he has a speedy recovery followed by a conditioning stint and is in good form going into the playoffs.

This will amplify our need to try and acquire a top 6 forward before the trade deadline.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
Really shitty for Nick. Watching the hit, and how he looked leaving the ice, I’m thinking something along the lines of a separated shoulder :/

Re: his play style, there are certainly small guys who succeed with physical games. Marchand and Gallagher being prime examples, but guys like DeBrincat, Sheary, Marchessault, etc. don’t shy away from the danger areas either. However, they’re all great at controlling angles so you almost can never hit them cleanly, counter hitting, and having a strong/wide/stable stance. Nick has improved in these areas, he does better in puck battles and gets blown up less than he did last year, but they’re still weaknesses. Needs to keep working on anticipating contact, angling appropriately, and having a stronger/wider/stabler stance. IMO that’s more likely to make him a success than turning into a perimeter player.

Like, his biggest problem here is that he’s not bracing for the hit, counter hitting, angling/avoiding, anything. He just takes the hit clean while mid-stride, you’re gonna get blown up by that regardless of your size. It was interference, he hadn’t touched the puck yet, but going in for a puck battle like that you do have to be anticipating the hit:

And that is a pretty common trend for Nicky.

I'm think more likely a broken collar bone

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
Sucks for Nick. It is definitely unfortunate for him. He just cannot seem to stay healthy. Injuries like this one are exactly what you fear for a player of Nicks size. He anticipated contact, maybe even initiated contact on the play and still got man handled into a very dangerous situation. I actually didn't even think that play was dirty TBH, both players engaged in contact, I am not even sure I agree with the interference call on the play. It's 2 men engaging in contact, and unfortunately for Nick the bigger man won handily.

I like Nick's attitude and skillset, but at this point in his career this is really not a significant loss for our team. Very replaceable minutes at this point.

I hope the best for him, and wish him a speedy recovery. I look forward to seeing him back in the lineup!

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
This is the tough part about undersized guys that want to play a gritty game, wishing him a speedy recovery. A lot of us complained about Kessel not physically engaging himself in board battles and what not, he holds the iron man streak/record. Robertson might need to adjust and play a similar way if he wants to have a career in the NHL, just some brutal injuries.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
This is the tough part about undersized guys that want to play a gritty game, wishing him a speedy recovery. A lot of us complained about Kessel not physically engaging himself in board battles and what not, he holds the iron man streak/record. Robertson might need to adjust and play a similar way if he wants to have a career in the NHL, just some brutal injuries.
He doesn't need to play a gritty game. He has the talent and scoring ability to succeed with out being gritty. Guys like Gallagher with minimal ability have to be a wrecking ball to have any success. But if they don't pick their spots, like Marchand does, they will be done at 30 like Gallagher. He needs to play the game like Caufield.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
I think Nick just needs to physically mature. Playing in the NHL as a small 21 year old is not easy.
Add some man strength, and be a late bloomer is my hope.

Leafs can easily replace Nick on the ice, he has zero goals since his 1st game.
I think he was a potential trade chip of Dubas and being injured squashes that for now.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I think Nick just needs to physically mature. Playing in the NHL as a small 21 year old is not easy.
Add some man strength, and be a late bloomer is my hope.

Leafs can easily replace Nick on the ice, he has zero goals since his 1st game.
I think he was a potential trade chip of Dubas and being injured squashes that for now.

For those who watched him in AHL and Junior, was he ever capable of taking a hit without injury?

Physical game and you're going to get hit, so you kind of have to be able to take a hit without being injured.

Yesterday, was a penalty for interference, but we've seen other players take those hits without injury.

Last edited:

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
For those who watched him in AHL and Junior, was he ever capable of taking a hit without injury?

Physical game and you're going to get hit, so if you kind of have to be able to take a hit without being injured.

Yesterday, was a penalty for interference, but we've seen other players take those hits without injury.

I haven't watched him in the minors, but that was an awkward hit for him to be on the receiving end of. A lot of players would get injured in that situation.

The damage most likely came from the fact that his shoulder went in first to the ice and the boards at the same time. If he had just fallen onto the ice and slid into the board or vice versa he likely would've been better off.

If you want to talk about how easily he lost his balanced and was pushed over, that's fair and a problem with most young and small players when they enter the league. Some guys figure it out (e.g. Mitch rookie year vs now) and some guys don't (for some reason, Brandon Kozun is the first to come to mind). Usually if they're talented enough, they find a way and I still think Robertson will figure it out.

67leafs

Oct 17, 2019
Why didn’t anyone challenge the guy who destroyed Robertson…._wtf?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad