Prospect Info: Nick Paul

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I don't understand the hockey canada hate....Canada has dominated this tournament for a solid stretch then hit a bit of a bump. There haven't been that many great canadian goalies which have come through and you can see they have tried to add the best players avaliable but remember they are making a team and there are just so many players with similar skill sets and you can't take them all

I remember people being angry that they didn't take younger guys who were better in the CHL then they took Mckinnon and he was okay but not dominant

Hockey Canada has the largest, and most talented kids to choose from year in, year out. That is not debatable.

They also put the most towards developing the team and players.

They also make questionable cuts/additions year in, year out. That happens, its part of the selection process of every team.

They have not made the Gold medal game in three years. Have not won in five.

Hockey Canada has earned all of the doubt and "hate" that is receives.

A team/country with the resources that Canada has should not be doing as bad as they have the last five years.

Lenny the Lynx

Sep 20, 2008
ON
Thank god for statistics or we wouldnt be able to make judgements like this without ever watching a player

Agreed.
The only time I really see guys play is All-Star games. I figure if they make that they must be pretty good, otherwise I'm not wasting my time.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
My criticism of Hockey Canada is that they continually outsmart themselves. Instead of just trusting what they see and picking the best kids, they over analyze it and try to find some magic formula of players, looking for "chemistry", good defensive players, etc. This kind of thinking is how we ended up with Rob Zamuner on the 1998 Olympic team, and how Ceci and Monahan didn't make the team two years ago. Stop trying to show everyone how clever you are, and just pick the best players. It's not that complicated...

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I don't understand the hockey canada hate....Canada has dominated this tournament for a solid stretch then hit a bit of a bump. There haven't been that many great canadian goalies which have come through and you can see they have tried to add the best players avaliable but remember they are making a team and there are just so many players with similar skill sets and you can't take them all

I remember people being angry that they didn't take younger guys who were better in the CHL then they took Mckinnon and he was okay but not dominant

They have done a very poor job picking players as of late. Toffoli being one glaring example of blowing it. Guy led the OHL in goals and they kept him off the team now look at him.

My criticism of Hockey Canada is that they continually outsmart themselves. Instead of just trusting what they see and picking the best kids, they over analyze it and try to find some magic formula of players, looking for "chemistry", good defensive players, etc. This kind of thinking is how we ended up with Rob Zamuner on the 1998 Olympic team, and how Ceci and Monahan didn't make the team two years ago. Stop trying to show everyone how clever you are, and just pick the best players. It's not that complicated...

This.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I'd be surprised if he wasn't on the team, barring all the NHL guys like Duclair, Lazar, Drouin being sent down. Hard to pass up a skilled 6'4, 220lbs powerforward with strong defensive play. Perfect fit for TCs bottom 6.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

leaving RNH off leaving Seguin off. Theyre abolsutely obsessed with have an NHL dynamic to their team.. sscoring line shutdown lines, its ridiculous. Pierre McGuire put it well... other teams are starting to take over the WJC because they teach their youngster skills.... not "how to win.. cycle blah blah" right out of the gate. After they've developed these skills then they get the gameplans down... and it shows.... past championships Canada plays this highly structured game and they get in front of the net and they cant put it in, or try to make a ridiculous pass.
its the WJC not stanley cup finals... let the kids go.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004

Well stated. I am hopeful Lazar is allowed to go and gets a shot with Paul.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Nice power move around the Dman, drive to the net, stickhandling past Goalie and put it in. Reminded me a little of Rick Nash,. but not as fast! Would that not be a great development path for Paul! :)

It does look Nashish. Nice power goal.

Proust*

Dec 8, 2010
if you wanna use the Nash comparison, that woulda been nash at 17

Nash at 19 was half way into a 40 goal NHL season

Kid appears promising though

Look buddy, he's Nash-like. Accept it. Nobody said he's gonna score like Nash, or even make the NHL, but he looks like Rick Nash when he wears hockey gear. Get over it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad