Value of: Nick Paul to EDM

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Well, Duclair had a 20 goals season in the NHL and Filatov had a bit of a higher draft pedigree than Logan Brown.

I'm just trying to be realistic.

Filatov and brown were separated by 5 picks.

Point is, a team will give a bottom roster player or mid round pick for a high draft pick with skill even if they have rumoured attitude or work ethic issues even if they aren't having any current NHL success. The skill intrigues teams to give something up for them.

Doesn't mean its a high end return, but don't see why someone like Edmonton or Pittsburgh wouldn't be intrigued to give up a 4th or 5th or something for him, and then put him on the wing with Crosby or malkin. See if they can get a big skilled body for next to nothing that can put up numbers with their Uber skilled centers.

Last edited:

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Doesn't mean its a high end return, but don't see why someone like Edmonton or Pittsburgh wouldn't be intrigued to give up a 4th or 5th or something for him, and then put him on the wing with Crosby or malkin. See if they can get a big skilled body for next to nothing that can put up numbers with their Uber skilled centers.

Right, but the context of this thread was that he would return a current NHL ready player.

BurgoShark

Jul 1, 2004
Gold Coast
No motivation to trade Nick Paul this season unless it is for an obvious upgrade. He's good and cheap. He will either re-sign or will be traded at the 2022 deadline.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Right, but the context of this thread was that he would return a current NHL ready player.

He could, in the mold of a 4th liner, he is what he is, type of player.

Like, if we agree he could maybe return a 4th round pick, and we traded a 4th rounder for Austin Watson...in theory, brown could return a Watson.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I think Paul is being undervalued in this thread a bit. Calling him a fourth liner after his progression this season is a little disingenuous. He's played a significant amount of time on Ottawa's third line and has been one of the team's more consistent forwards.

I think players like this fall into the same category as guys like Goodrow and Coleman, who are capable of logging elevated minutes but at the very least contribute to an aggressive forecheck regardless of where they play on the roster.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

BurgoShark

Jul 1, 2004
Gold Coast
I think Paul is being undervalued in this thread a bit. Calling him a fourth liner after his progression this season is a little disingenuous. He's played a significant amount of time on Ottawa's third line and has been one of the team's more consistent forwards.

I think players like this fall into the same category as guys like Goodrow and Coleman, who are capable of logging elevated minutes but at the very least contribute to an aggressive forecheck regardless of where they play on the roster.

I agree. In terms of value, it’s not unreasonable for a fan of another team to look at his production and contract status and say “he is worth a 3rd or 4th rounder”, but Ottawa certainly wouldn’t trade him for that. They need more Nick Pauls- not less.

Reactions: Fenix Rises 2026

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I may be in the minority but he seems like someone you keep short of severe overpayment.

He’s one of the best in takeaways and doesn’t give the puck away (25 TA’s to 7 GA’s). On a team like Ottawa, the young(er) guys can learn a thing or two of two way play from him.

Reactions: Sen sational

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad