Value of: Nick Paul to EDM

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
I don’t know whether the Sens would consider moving him or if they feel he’s a long term piece, but I’d like to hear the price in terms of picks/prospects.

We’d have to send salary back (Chiasson is an expiring contract).

wilfred

Jan 13, 2010
New Bunswick
I am guessing he has more value to ottawa then value in a trade. My guess is a top 4 rhd of similar age with the sens adding or part of a package for #1 center.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I am guessing he has more value to ottawa then value in a trade. My guess is a top 4 rhd of similar age with the sens adding or part of a package for #1 center.

Pretty much this. Think of the Foligno for Methot trade, maybe if some other players set up and Ottawa is deep on the left side they look at upgrading at another position.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Suggested it before. Ethan Bear for Nick Paul. They have a spot or two open at expansion on defense so they can protect him and he fits into the age group so he can help their unit grow as they continue to improve.

I like Paul as a piece for Edmonton moving forward. Great puck pursuit, can play center and is learning to slow the game down.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
It's hard to call 3rd or 4th liners core players with a straight face, but i think he'll be a big part when Ottawa is good again.

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
I think he’s a lot more valuable to us than what we’d ever get for him.

One of those situations where we brought him along and were patient with him for so long that it doesn’t really make sense to move him. That Spezz a trade was a real bummer.

I think he’d be a good piece in a package one day though, maybe in 2-3 years you’d be looking at something like:

1st round pick + Nick Paul + Brown/Brannstrom for a big piece.

Reactions: Altimus

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
I wouldn’t be interested in doing that Bear for Paul. If that’s the cost I’m more than happy with Ottawa fans wanting to keeping him.

Reactions: voxel

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Suggested it before. Ethan Bear for Nick Paul. They have a spot or two open at expansion on defense so they can protect him and he fits into the age group so he can help their unit grow as they continue to improve.

I like Paul as a piece for Edmonton moving forward. Great puck pursuit, can play center and is learning to slow the game down.
I'd pretty easily take Bear over Paul, maybe if they could get a better young forward from Ottawa for Bear it'd make sense to move him. He'd definitely would make sense for the Sens though, they need young top 4 RHD more than anything

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
I'd pretty easily take Bear over Paul, maybe if they could get a better young forward from Ottawa for Bear it'd make sense to move him. He'd definitely would make sense for the Sens though, they need young top 4 RHD more than anything

Is there a deal to be made around Ethan Bear for Logan Brown?

Obviously Bear has proven more at the NHL level than Brown, but with Nuge’s contract coming up, a cheap player with high potential would add a lot to that core.

If they keep Nuge, they can keep him on the wing and potentially have Brown drive play and be an offensive third line centre. (Something you guys probably were looking for in Turris).

If they lose Nuge, you guys can have the option of trying Brown on either wing of McDavid or Drai, or when they go nuclear and combine the two can potentially try him at 2C.

TSA0402

Apr 4, 2011
Ottawa

Don't really want to trade Nick Paul, but this I'd be hard pressed to say no. RD(well any defense) has been an issue, and Formenton, L. Brown challenging for a spot soon. EDM gets a solid piece with upside. My only worry is our coach sit Bear in the press for Gudbranson and his "intensity".

That being said, I doubt EDM would consider it. Probably has to be an add.

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
Sounds like Paul is more valuable to the Sens than would be worth it for Edmonton to give up because Edmonton would be foolish to move Bear for him.

I do think the Sens should try to pick up a top 4 defenseman (or one with potential) that someone can't protect but I don't think Edmonton is the one to give it to him unless they like Jones.

Stuzchuk

Mar 25, 2009
Eastern Canada
not really interested in trading him away...
he'll be part of our rebuild and success just like Neil was part of OTT core when they where a competitive team

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
No interest in trading Paul from this Sens fan. It would take an overpayment to pry him away from us now. He has DJ's complete trust and we've invested years into developing him.

I think if he gets moved, it's going to be part of some package that brings a player better than Ethan Bear back.

Reactions: JackieDaytona

OmniSens

@OmniSenators
Sep 22, 2008
Ottawa
Paul, the way he's playing now is easily worth a 3rd or a B-prospect... That being said, he's heavily relied on in the Senators lockeroom - Doubt he's moving.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Sounds like Paul is more valuable to the Sens than would be worth it for Edmonton to give up because Edmonton would be foolish to move Bear for him.

I do think the Sens should try to pick up a top 4 defenseman (or one with potential) that someone can't protect but I don't think Edmonton is the one to give it to him unless they like Jones.

Totally agree.

Bottom six guys do not often go for top 4 RHD. Bear is in a sophomore slump but he is a young kid who has a lot of potential.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

TeamRenzo

Jul 20, 2009
What about Paul, Tierney and Abramov for Bear + Chaisson.

Just spit balling since we got prospects all over.

I have no interest in re-acquiring Chiasson for any price let alone two really useful players in Paul and Tierney.

Why would the Sens trade Paul? They have literally invested years into this guy and he has finally found his game. We need decent NHLers that can play in the bottom-six.

Reactions: The Big Ruszkowski

TeamRenzo

Jul 20, 2009
Paul, the way he's playing now is easily worth a 3rd or a B-prospect... That being said, he's heavily relied on in the Senators lockeroom - Doubt he's moving.

He's worth way more to the Sens than a 3rd round pick or a B prospect, both stand little chance of actually playing in the NHL. Honestly, how would either of those pieces benefit the Sens?

Paul is a solid NHLer and should only be traded for someone that can play in our line up.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Logan Brown won't bring any NHL calibre pieces back until he actually plays in the NHL.

Yes and no...we, ourselves, have traded for guys not cutting it in the NHL, and gave up NHL assets due to the players potential or skill level regardless of bad work ethic. Think of guys like duclair and filatov. Some work, some don't.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Yes and no...we, ourselves, have traded for guys not cutting it in the NHL, and gave up NHL assets due to the players potential or skill level regardless of bad work ethic. Think of guys like duclair and filatov. Some work, some don't.

Well, Duclair had a 20 goals season in the NHL and Filatov had a bit of a higher draft pedigree than Logan Brown.

I'm just trying to be realistic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad