Newsday: Nick Leddy making his presence known

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
You get that sinking feeling that Boychuck will walk and thats OK with me. But then you have to make a decision at the deadline. If im the isles id flip him for a first and a prospect and then work on distributing his minutes. Letting him walk is not OK and if he wants to be part of a stanley cup run with the isles he does it with a new contract. I dont let JB dictate the terms of his stay, the isles dictate the terms.

I am starting to believe we could never entirely escape fans with this mentality. It is just an absurd opinion in every possible way. We have a team that is 14-6 tied for first in the division, a few points from being top in the conference and even the whole league. Still a long way to go, but if this team keeps it up, they have the POTENTIAL to beat any team in the league...and yet we still get posts about trading one of our top d-men (who by the way, is the kind of player who seriously steps his game up to an even higher level in the playoffs) for yep, you got it, draft picks.

There are teams every single year who have unsigned UFA heading into the playoffs and I can bet you it does not even cross their minds to trade those types of players. Do you think teams like Pittsburgh, Detroit, Los Angeles, Boston, etc. (perennial winners), trade top 6 forwards or top 4 d-men for draft picks at the deadline when in position to compete for a cup? Why is it fans of this team just do not seem to get this concept? Draft picks should mean nothing to this team right now and for the short-term future. All of you draft pick junkies need to get over it and come to grips with the fact that the time of worrying about top draft picks is over for this organization for the foreseeable future.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I am starting to believe we could never entirely escape fans with this mentality. It is just an absurd opinion in every possible way. We have a team that is 14-6 tied for first in the division, a few points from being top in the conference and even the whole league. Still a long way to go, but if this team keeps it up, they have the POTENTIAL to beat any team in the league...and yet we still get posts about trading one of our top d-men (who by the way, is the kind of player who seriously steps his game up to an even higher level in the playoffs) for yep, you got it, draft picks.

There are teams every single year who have unsigned UFA heading into the playoffs and I can bet you it does not even cross their minds to trade those types of players. Do you think teams like Pittsburgh, Detroit, Los Angeles, Boston, etc. (perennial winners), trade top 6 forwards or top 4 d-men for draft picks at the deadline when in position to compete for a cup? Why is it fans of this team just do not seem to get this concept? Draft picks should mean nothing to this team right now and for the short-term future. All of you draft pick junkies need to get over it and come to grips with the fact that the time of worrying about top draft picks is over for this organization for the foreseeable future.

Amen brother!

Basic training is over, it's time for war. Put the women and children to bed and let's go hunting.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I can't believe people want to flip him out of fear of letting him walk for nothing. Winning > draft picks AINEC.

2hmkfnm.jpg

kasper11

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
1) Leddy has been outstanding. He has way surpassed expectations. I expect him to resign for 5-6 years at around $5M per. A little more than he deserves right now, but it buys out 3-4 years of UFA.

2) I really hope Boychuk resigns. The Isles have the money to re-sign Leddy and Nelson to big raises and still re-sign Boychuk and pretty much add any player they can. No reason not to do it. He has been huge for this team, and it is a great situation for him.

3) I don't see us re-signing Boychuk and Visnovsky. I think the d next year looks like:

Hamonic-de Haan
Boychuk-Leddy
Hickey-Reinahrt/Pulock

With Donovan, Czuzman, Mayfield possibilities to compete for a spot.

TheWhiteWhale30

Dec 3, 2007
I see plenty of people making fun of my 1st + , but if we get there you will see. you can "lol" Or say I'm "cray cray" I know what I am talking about and honestly give two ***** if you see the same value as me lol not my problem.

Oh and for those who think Boychuk should be lost for nothing lol you won't sing the same tune with a 1 year older viz (if here at all and - boychuk. Team will def have a setback. So let's go all out this yr and leave ourselves vulnerable next year lol

Winning is great but let's not forget what got us here...patience. Can't just start throwing away pieces because we are good for once. This team will be here for a while no need to lose ourselves.

Last edited:

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
1) Leddy has been outstanding. He has way surpassed expectations. I expect him to resign for 5-6 years at around $5M per. A little more than he deserves right now, but it buys out 3-4 years of UFA.

2) I really hope Boychuk resigns. The Isles have the money to re-sign Leddy and Nelson to big raises and still re-sign Boychuk and pretty much add any player they can. No reason not to do it. He has been huge for this team, and it is a great situation for him.

3) I don't see us re-signing Boychuk and Visnovsky. I think the d next year looks like:

Hamonic-de Haan
Boychuk-Leddy
Hickey-Reinahrt/Pulock

With Donovan, Czuzman, Mayfield possibilities to compete for a spot.

If Boychuk chooses to leave, would you want Lubo signed to a one yr extension? He's playing well.

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005
If Boychuk chooses to leave, would you want Lubo signed to a one yr extension? He's playing well.

There's way too much unknown at this point. However, it's obvious that losing Boychuk + Visnovsky in one offseason would be a massive hit to our RD.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island

I would consider it, but i would certainly hope they can sign another good defenseman in the summer to replace Boychuk, hopefully it doesn't come to that.

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005
I would consider it, but i would certainly hope they can sign another good defenseman in the summer to replace Boychuk, hopefully it doesn't come to that.

A RD who can do that isn't available. Which is why Boychuk has leverage.

LandofLincoln*

Snow acquired Boychuk to get this team to the next level, not to flip him at the deadline for a king's ransom. Winning a playoff round should be the above and beyond all goal, and Boychuk helps with that. Let him walk, if the team can get that confidence of winning a playoff round, that can make you into an entirely different team.

Outsider here....Snow didn't just bring in Boychuk....He brought in Leddy. Fans act as if this team relies on Boychuk to make the playoffs this year... I don't know, but I don't thinks so. The Islanders seem to have bought in and believe. They expect to win now! Sure the expectations changed with the additions of Boychuk and Leddy. I don't think those expectations change if Boychuk is gone. The Islanders seem to be a playoff team with or without Boychuk not in spite of him.

I think Snow is wise if he sings Leddy for 5-6 years and announces this before the trade deadline. I think he should make a decent offer to Boychuk after signing Leddy. If Boychuk doesn't sign .... forget him and cash in... by trading him.

Of course Snow wouldn't want to leave a massive hole... So picking up #5 rental for a 2nd or 3rd rounder is an option. The Islanders make the playoffs this year with or without Boychuk. Snow is a good GM, but better if he plays hardball with Boychuk. Leave it in Boychuks hands with a fair contract.

LandofLincoln*

There are some good options out there though. Green, Staal, Michalek, Martin, Beauchamin, and Oduya are all good top 4 defenseman.

If Boychuk is traded....Snow can work the phones for Oduya ....or a cheaper rental ....Rozsival and Runblad aren't top four. Rozsival can fill in as top four. He plays 20m but good for 60 games a year at this point in his career. Rozsival is decent in the playoffs. Chicago would take a 4th rounder for Rozsival. Runblad has looked very good this year...and he is a former 17th overall pick and 24 years old... It would take a second round pick in the 32-45 range to acquire Runblad.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
If Boychuk is traded....Snow can work the phones for Oduya ....or a cheaper rental ....Rozsival and Runblad aren't top four. Rozsival can fill in as top four. He plays 20m but good for 60 games a year at this point in his career. Rozsival is decent in the playoffs. Chicago would take a 4th rounder for Rozsival. Runblad has looked very good this year...and he is a former 17th overall pick and 24 years old... It would take a second round pick in the 32-45 range to acquire Runblad.

Boychuk won't be traded, he will either be here long term or leave as a ufa.

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
The success to date, the way the team has emerged, puts us in a win now situation. That is of course absent any huge regression.
If anything, we should be buyers at the deadline, not sellers. Depth wins in the playoffs so we should be looking for some support pieces, but the last thing we should be doing is thinking about trading Boychuck, a guy who has greatly helped get us to where we are today.

LandofLincoln*

What will Nick Leddy's contract look like assuming he gets a 5 year extension?

Darth Milbury

Feb 27, 2002
Searching for Kvasha
Visit site

I see you are wanting to fantasize about unloading the usual suspects from Chicago on the Islanders, but Boychuk is not getting traded and the Hawks have nothing (with the exception of a backup goaltenders) that would be of interest in a trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad