Newsday: Nick Leddy making his presence known

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Leddy's agent, will be coming to LI next week to see his three clients Leddy, Lee and Lubo. Sheehy told Newsday he will ask Leddy what he is looking for on his extension, then soon begin talks with the isles.

There is also some info on a possible Boychuk extension. Boychuk is saying , he wants to give his family a chance to see if they like it on LI. Well, his wife really since his daughters are only 11 months.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/colum...ick-leddy-making-his-presence-known-1.9644963

Islanderfan17

Aug 24, 2010
I really hope both of them stay. I'd be kind of shocked if Boychuck didn't stay, he seems to really enjoy this team. Also, it's Long Island, not many better places around to raise a family when you have a **** ton of money, I think his wife will approve.

Even if Boychuck left for free agency, I'm super excited about having Nick Leddy here to stay. He has been a game changer. Pulock could always replace Boychuck if it comes down to it and we'd still probably be fine, but I'd like to see Boychuck stay.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I really hope both of them stay. I'd be kind of shocked if Boychuck didn't stay, he seems to really enjoy this team. Also, it's Long Island, not many better places around to raise a family when you have a **** ton of money, I think his wife will approve.

Even if Boychuck left for free agency, I'm super excited about having Nick Leddy here to stay. He has been a game changer. Pulock could always replace Boychuck if it comes down to it and we'd still probably be fine, but I'd like to see Boychuck stay.

I am hoping both sign 4-5 yr extensions.

Even if Boychuk leaves, his helping the isles into the playoffs this season would be a huge plus.

A side benefit would be the isles would be a more attractive destination for ufas. I would think if the vets Lubo, Carkner and Boychuk are all gone, the isles would want to add another grizzled vet.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I have a feeling Leddy gets a long term deal. I know he's a RFA and that's usually a Bridge but I can see Garth going 5-6 years at 5 mil per.

Definitely gotta keep these guys. Also we should get a contract done while the team is wining and everyone is feeling good. Lol

Macch

Mar 22, 2010

No he can't. Just like Donovan can replace Streit right? The only thing they have in common right now is a bomb of a shot. I know some of our prospects are doing very well, but let's not kid ourselves. Losing Boychuk would be a huge loss and no rookie would be able to replace him.

Strome18

Oct 23, 2010
Florida
No he can't. Just like Donovan can replace Streit right? The only thing they have in common right now is a bomb of a shot. I know some of our prospects are doing very well, but let's not kid ourselves. Losing Boychuk would be a huge loss and no rookie would be able to replace him.

Pulock is a right handed shot
Manchuck is a right handed shot
Pulock is 6' 2" and 212lbs built like an armored truck
Manchuk is 6' 2" and 225lbs built like a tank

The issue is experience and fighting/hitting

I say Manchuk would be a loss but Pulock will be replacing Hickey, not Manchuk. I think Hickey will become the 7th d-man.

Reinhardt will replace Lubomir.

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere

Looking at Pulock as an enhancement to go along Boychuk who we all hope will stay. On the top two powerplay units there would be two big right handed shots on the ice the entire powerplay which would be tough on the other teams penalty killers.

Pulock then can be eased into the powerplay QB.

GTislanders

Jan 9, 2014
You get that sinking feeling that Boychuck will walk and thats OK with me. But then you have to make a decision at the deadline. If im the isles id flip him for a first and a prospect and then work on distributing his minutes. Letting him walk is not OK and if he wants to be part of a stanley cup run with the isles he does it with a new contract. I dont let JB dictate the terms of his stay, the isles dictate the terms.

JeffNYI

Jun 16, 2006
You get that sinking feeling that Boychuck will walk and thats OK with me. But then you have to make a decision at the deadline. If im the isles id flip him for a first and a prospect and then work on distributing his minutes. Letting him walk is not OK and if he wants to be part of a stanley cup run with the isles he does it with a new contract. I dont let JB dictate the terms of his stay, the isles dictate the terms.

I dunno..

The way things look I think we should be buyers, or standing pat at the deadline. Not sellers.

If we look like we're gonna have a chance at a run, let's take the run and if we lose Boychuk then that's the price we paid for the run..

Macch

Mar 22, 2010

I say Manchuk would be a loss but Pulock will be replacing Hickey, not Manchuk. I think Hickey will become the 7th d-man.

Tale of the tape maybe the same, but their game is nothing alike.

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
I dunno..

The way things look I think we should be buyers, or standing pat at the deadline. Not sellers.

If we look like we're gonna have a chance at a run, let's take the run and if we lose Boychuk then that's the price we paid for the run..

Bingo.

Even if Boychuk says he's going to walk, which is highly unlikely, let him walk. Teams lose UFA's all the time. I'd rather try to win a round and I'm sure Boychuk will be a big part of that.

GTislanders

Jan 9, 2014
I dunno..

The Playoffs are a totally different story. The Isles draw the pens and they will not receive the last two days' version of the Pens.

You can't just lose the biggest UFA this year for nothing. Teams would pay a serious penny for the guy. The Islanders are just entering the outside of the contender bubble. It can be this way for years. Leddy will stay, which just means you have to replace Boychuk going into next season.

That's what the GM is for. You don't let him walk for nothing. I'm not cool with that and I doubt that happens.

GTislanders

Jan 9, 2014
Bingo.

Even if Boychuk says he's going to walk, which is highly unlikely, let him walk. Teams lose UFA's all the time. I'd rather try to win a round and I'm sure Boychuk will be a big part of that.

IMHO, this team can win a round of the playoffs by making a smart acquisition to replace his minutes. I don't just let the guy walk.

Plus, why would we? What doesn't he realize at this point? Nobody will give him the role he has here, and there's no chance he joins a team as good as the Islanders with the money we have.

I would have liked a better statement from him, esp after this start. I've already seen players talk like this to burn us. Look at Vanek. He always said he needed to figure out the area, but he loved the team, how good they were, etc. He still walked.

thedonger

Mar 4, 2007

Lubo plays the right side. Also, Griff always seems more comfortable on the left side. If anything, it would be the opposite. Pulock would replace Lubo Griff would replace Hickey. All on top of the fact that Hickey plays the role of defensive d-man and Lubo the offensive d...see where I'm going with this? But Hickey is playing well so....

MatthewBarnabysTears

Mar 18, 2013
Being perennial losers has made so many fans here obsessed with maximizing assets. Winning games is how you maximize assets. Winning playoffs rounds with pending UFAs who walk at the end of a year is better than recouping picks and prospects.

I'm still glad we made the playoffs with Mark Streit two years ago. I'm not exactly pining the loss of another late first rounder or a couple 2ndrounders.

thedonger

Mar 4, 2007

All depends on where they stand at the deadline. If we're anywhere between looking at fighting for home ice or a bubble team fighting for a spot, you have to keep him and let him walk at the end of the season if he so chooses. The veteran playoff experiences he provides to our youngsters is simply invaluable and worth the loss of possible draft picks.
The ONLY time you consider trading him is either if Pulock simply FORCES his way onto the team and an OVERWHELMING need develops on the wings OR if they find themselves way out of the playoff picture. Neither scenario seems likely at this point though (thankfully).

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
Leddy's agent, will be coming to LI next week to see his three clients Leddy, Lee and Lubo. Sheehy told Newsday he will ask Leddy what he is looking for on his extension, then soon begin talks with the isles.

There is also some info on a possible Boychuk extension. Boychuk is saying , he wants to give his family a chance to see if they like it on LI. Well, his wife really since his daughters are only 11 months.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/colum...ick-leddy-making-his-presence-known-1.9644963
I'm a bit worried about Boychuck. We can offer him the extra year, but if it hangs on if his wife likes the area, that is very subjective.
They liked Boston, but that ship has sailed.
I think they are living in Manhasset right now. Happy wife, happy life. Let's see what happens and hope for the best. I am certain the Garth will offer a very good package. He is an Edmonton boy(chuck) but doubt he is looking in that direction.
Brooklyn is not Long Island which confuses things a bit, and neither are Boston.
So I am holding out hope but we may have to wait until seasons end on this one.

Cavonnier

Apr 23, 2013
Maine
I really hope we keep leddy. The kid is still young and will be a big piece going forward

Because Leddy is a restricted free agent, it's highly, highly unlikely we'll lose Leddy, which makes the trade such a good one (we acquired an asset we control for somebody who could become as good as Leddy in a few years and a pair of spare parts).

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere
If Boychuk's wife is coming to the Island so see if they like it maybe Johnny is at least starting to think about it. Right now just going to enjoy the games and not worry about contracts.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach

Who gets that sinking feeling? All of his interviews thus far would point towards another scenario.

-We started the season out 14-6.

-He has the biggest role he's ever had on an NHL roster.

-Most offensive opportunity/ production in his career.

-Said this team will be very good for the next 5 years.

-Brand New arena in the biggest metropolis in North America.

I would actually be surprised if he does walk. Were going to give him market value and probably a little more if that's what it takes to keep him.

bstash19

Apr 8, 2012
long island
Being perennial losers has made so many fans here obsessed with maximizing assets. Winning games is how you maximize assets. Winning playoffs rounds with pending UFAs who walk at the end of a year is better than recouping picks and prospects.

I'm still glad we made the playoffs with Mark Streit two years ago. I'm not exactly pining the loss of another late first rounder or a couple 2ndrounders.

bingo. :nod:

who cares if he does choose to walk at the end of the year. he is the type of player that we NEED in the playoffs. a true warrior. risk disrupting the chemistry of the team before the playoffs for a late 1st or 2nd round pick. please. that would be stupid.

either stand pat, or improve the team. no way we are selling at the deadline.

RMimagery

Jul 22, 2006
Who gets that sinking feeling? All of his interviews thus far would point towards another scenario.

-We started the season out 14-6.

-He has the biggest role he's ever had on an NHL roster.

-Most offensive opportunity/ production in his career.

-Said this team will be very good for the next 5 years.

-Brand New arena in the biggest metropolis in North America.

I would actually be surprised if he does walk. Were going to give him market value and probably a little more if that's what it takes to keep him.

My feelings exactly. This is a pencil young team, key being YOUNG with even more firepower waiting in the wings. Where better to be for the next 5 years?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad