Recalled/Assigned: Nic Petan assigned to the Moose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
JMO...

sometimes players are mismanaged, sometimes players need the right linemates to produce, sometimes players just end up in the wrong situation on the wrong team, sometimes some players take longer to develop than others..... whatever the reason.

But I would say generally that players with the talent and ability to produce in the NHL will naturally move their way to the top of the lineup... and those players without NHL talent and ability will naturally move their way to the bottom of the lineup.

It may be too soon to close the book on Petan, but every team has a 4th line, and those players are on that line for a reason. As well, if you are not in the NHL.. there is probably a reason for that too.

Reactions: FFHockey

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
The demotion seemed to help Connor. Why can't it help Petan?

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg
JMO...

sometimes players are mismanaged, sometimes players need the right linemates to produce, sometimes players just end up in the wrong situation on the wrong team, sometimes some players take longer to develop than others..... whatever the reason.

But I would say generally that players with the talent and ability to produce in the NHL will naturally move their way to the top of the lineup... and those players without NHL talent and ability will naturally move their way to the bottom of the lineup.

It may be too soon to close the book on Petan, but every team has a 4th line, and those players are on that line for a reason. As well, if you are not in the NHL.. there is probably a reason for that too.

Unless your Shea Theodore in Vegas and your GM badly played his XD hand by taking a glut of D :D

EpicGingy

Jul 30, 2012
Ontario
How in any way at this moment with these players does Petan do anything to make us more than a 2 line team?

Petan can't score either and he's not very good defensively.

I literally said it's more about the direction of the bottom-6 than Petan specifically. With that said I still have more faith in Petan to score than Lemieux, Tanev, or Hendricks. And I'd feel just as good with him on the penalty kill as Hendricks or Tanev (which is still terrible).

Our bottom-6 is terrible and it hasn't improved with this move. But is has more griiiiiiiit.

Reactions: Board Bard

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
I literally said it's more about the direction of the bottom-6 than Petan specifically. With that said I still have more faith in Petan to score than Lemieux, Tanev, or Hendricks. And I'd feel just as good with him on the penalty kill as Hendricks or Tanev (which is still terrible).

Our bottom-6 is terrible and it hasn't improved with this move. But is has more griiiiiiiit.
what has he done to give you this confidence that he can score more.

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg

Okay. Fair enough.

That said, Tanev, Copp and Armia have more PK points than Petan has PP points though.... lol

EpicGingy

Jul 30, 2012
Ontario
what has he done to give you this confidence that he can score more.

I know junior is a long time ago but that. Petan has vision and a natural offensive talent that Tanev and Hendricks wish they had. It's not like I'm putting Petan up to a high standard here, having faith that he can outscore Tanev and Hendricks isn't really saying much.

Okay. Fair enough.

That said, Tanev, Copp and Armia have more PK points than Petan has PP points though.... lol

Don't really have a problem with Copp and Armia, though. But that is funny.

Tanev's speed is actually really good for getting shorthanded goals. It's the rest of the PK I have a problem with. But maybe if the Jets had a more aggressive penalty kill Tanev would be good in that role.

Justin17L

Jan 6, 2016
Winnipeg
This isn't a horrible decision, I'm happy that Petan won't have to play 5 minutes a game anymore. As for the Jets, this is absolutely illogical. Last November, Petan had a 6 points in 8 games stretch when used in the top 6. Then when others came back from injury, he was thrown on the fourth line with grinders and then people wonder why he hasn't scored any points. Remember when Ehlers had 3 point in 25 games in his rookie year when he played with Thorburn? Its not rocket science!!!! Play your skilled guys with other skilled guys! Even some of the most talented players can't score when played on the 4th line. This team could run a balanced top 9 with their eyes closed, but instead we need to go back a couple decades and look for grit. Petan does not belong on a fourth line, why was he used there for over half his NHL games? Terrible development and asset management by the Jets, I hope he scores like crazy on the Moose and forces these idiots in management to realize "hmmmmm maybe we should play him in the top 9, or trade him, instead of waste his career on our 4th line, where he does us no good." All in all, I'm not upset they sent him down, but I've been upset for almost one year straight with how they've deployed him. #FreePetan

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg
I know junior is a long time ago but that. Petan has vision and a natural offensive talent that Tanev and Hendricks wish they had. It's not like I'm putting Petan up to a high standard here, having faith that he can outscore Tanev and Hendricks isn't really saying much.

Don't really have a problem with Copp and Armia, though. But that is funny.

Tanev's speed is actually really good for getting shorthanded goals. It's the rest of the PK I have a problem with. But maybe if the Jets had a more aggressive penalty kill Tanev would be good in that role.

I was trying to be funny not dickish with the comment.

As for the PK. From watching it in practice it seemed to emphasize pressuring hard on any 50/50 pucks. Hopefully they keep it up and if they aren't pressuring they need to do a better job of getting into lanes and not loosing the guy on the back door.

I don't really have a problem with Tanev yet this year. I know he was really bad last year but I'll still wait to see what shakes out.

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg
This isn't a horrible decision, I'm happy that Petan won't have to play 5 minutes a game anymore. As for the Jets, this is absolutely illogical. Last November, Petan had a 6 points in 8 games stretch when used in the top 6. Then when others came back from injury, he was thrown on the fourth line with grinders and then people wonder why he hasn't scored any points. Remember when Ehlers had 3 point in 25 games in his rookie year when he played with Thorburn? Its not rocket science!!!! Play your skilled guys with other skilled guys! Even some of the most talented players can't score when played on the 4th line. This team could run a balanced top 9 with their eyes closed, but instead we need to go back a couple decades and look for grit. Petan does not belong on a fourth line, why was he used there for over half his NHL games? Terrible development and asset management by the Jets, I hope he scores like crazy on the Moose and forces these idiots in management to realize "hmmmmm maybe we should play him in the top 9, or trade him, instead of waste his career on our 4th line, where he does us no good." All in all, I'm not upset they sent him down, but I've been upset for almost one year straight with how they've deployed him. #FreePetan

Here is the problem. His good numbers come in a very small sample size and when you need to shelter a guy in that way the moment you have 1 or 2 injuries to anybody in your top 9 Petan becomes worse then Tanev.

It's not just that Petan plays better with better players it's that he is worse than our worse players away from Wheeler.

Also, his minutes this year with what we thought were acceptable linemates in Copp, Dano, Armia, Matthias haven't been good like they were in the past. He's not centering Thornburn and Tanev anymore.

Not to mention his lack of execution on the PP so far this year.

Looking at this year alone what has Petan done to earn a spot over anyone else?

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
This issue is this, you can move Petan up, bring someone like Little down to the 3rd line making it competent. The whole reason people keep bringing up Petan's performance with good players is that. He is productive when playing up. Tanev ain't, Copp aint, Lowry ain't.

We should be happy with our best hope on the 3rd line is to not be a huge liability? Imagine Little on line 3. He still gets 15-17m/g with PK and PP time. Petan doesn't hurt line 2 or 1 or whatever. Ice time gets better distributed because Lowry is now in line 4 with Matthias and Armia/Dano. You play a 3rd line of Connor-Little-Armia -> Matthias-Lowry-Dano, Laine-Petan-Ehlers, Perreault-Scheif-Wheeler

OR
Connor-Little-Wheeler
Petan-Scheif-Laine
Perreault-Lowry-Ehlers
Matthias-Copp-Dano/Armia

OR

Petan-Little-Wheeler
Connor-Scheif-Laine
Perreault-Lowry-Ehlers
Matthias-Copp-Dano/Armia

There is absolutely no reason in the modern NHL to do what PoMo is doing. It's incompetent. What we know about the human body and athlete recovery, it's rather amateur to watch him ride the shit out of the top 2 lines like he does.

Last edited:

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
This issue is this, you can move Petan up, bring someone like Little down to the 3rd line making it competent. The whole reason people keep bringing up Petan's performance with good players is that. He is productive when playing up. Tanev ain't, Copp aint, Lowry ain't.

We should be happy with our best hope on the 3rd line is to not be a huge liability? Imagine Little on line 3. He still gets 15-17m/g with PK and PP time. Petan doesn't hurt line 2 or 1 or whatever. Ice time gets better distributed because Lowry is now in line 4 with Matthias and Armia/Dano. You play a 3rd line of Connor-Little-Armia -> Matthias-Lowry-Dano, Laine-Petan-Ehlers, Perreault-Scheif-Wheeler

OR
Connor-Little-Wheeler
Petan-Scheif-Laine
Perreault-Lowry-Ehlers
Matthias-Copp-Dano/Armia

OR

Petan-Little-Wheeler
Connor-Scheif-Laine
Perreault-Lowry-Ehlers
Matthias-Copp-Dano/Armia

There is absolutely no reason in the modern NHL to do what PoMo is doing. It's competent. What we know about the human body and athlete recovery, it's rather amateur to watch him ride the **** out of the top 2 lines like he does.

Little is not getting his ice time reduced. He's their best faceoff guy.

3C is not an option this season for Little

Reactions: Dayofthedogs
Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Thank god. Too bad Dano needs waivers. Wasting their potential playing in Paul Maurice's bottom 6.
Now he does...that ship has sailed. Dano should have spent the better part of his last 2 seasons refining his game in the AHL. Instead he played 40 AHL games over that span with the organization feeling the best way to "develop" him was giving him 4th line minutes for 60 NHL games over that time span or having him watch the team play from upstairs.

FFHockey

Oct 12, 2015
Winnipeg, Manitoba,
This is absolutely the best move for him. If he lights it up, he will be back.
If I’m not mistaken, he didn’t light it up his last stint in the A. He was called back up because of injuries.

All the smaller guys who excel in the NHL have more than good vision and a nice sauce pass. They typically have heart, speed, skill to kill or a bit of sandpaper to go along with the rest of their game. Petan might come close on the skill side of things and then it drops off. Fleury, St Louis, Gaudreau, Marchand, Tyler Johnson, Atkinson all had or have other traits which give them the opportunity to succeed.

When he starts to dominate down there like Connor did, by all means bring him back. I’m not convinced that he can dominate the A, but would love for him to prove me wrong!

Jimby

Reformed Optimist
Nov 5, 2013
Winnipeg
This is the stretch that spawned the myth of Petan just needing to play with better players. Reality is that it was 5 points and not 6. Two were power play points. Now we are down to just 3 even strength points during that mythical stretch and it looks like two of those occurred when playing with Dano.

Last November, Petan had a 6 points in 8 games stretch when used in the top 6. Then when others came back from injury, he was thrown on the fourth line with grinders and then people wonder why he hasn't scored any points.

Reactions: Evil Little

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg

OR
Connor-Little-Wheeler
Petan-Scheif-Laine
Perreault-Lowry-Ehlers
Matthias-Copp-Dano/Armia

OR

Petan-Little-Wheeler
Connor-Scheif-Laine
Perreault-Lowry-Ehlers
Matthias-Copp-Dano/Armia

There is absolutely no reason in the modern NHL to do what PoMo is doing. It's competent. What we know about the human body and athlete recovery, it's rather amateur to watch him ride the **** out of the top 2 lines like he does.

Sure there is a reason to do it and it's being highlighted by our injuries.

Petan's sample of good number is rediculously small and with a rediculously limited number of players. That number of players he produces any kind of results with has also been getting smaller not larger like I personally expected.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Petan and Lazar have zero similarity besides both having been born

I wasn't talking about or mentioning playing style. I was using the comparison in regards to their situations as two players with promise who have not been able to raise their playing ability with the opportunities provided to them. Both have/had to try and crack teams with a decent top six. I think Petan going down to the AHL is the best thing for him at this point. He will be afforded more ice time to improve his game.

DashingDane

Dutch boy
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
I don't have an issue with this. There is no question in my mind that Petan has the hands and vision to be a top 6 guy but I think he is lacking in pretty much every other aspect that would make PMo trust him in that role. His first steps aren't quick, he is undersized and his shot is one of the worst on the team. But imo the biggest issue is his puck battles. Unfortunately he isn't good at winning the puck back. If he is in the top 6 he has to be able to do that. Especially if his wingers are one of Laine, Ehlers and Connor. IMO that's why Frenchie is so successful. I think you need two players that can battle. You can argue that he then should play with Little and Wheels but I think that line would lack finish. Unless he magically starts battling as hard as Frenchie or develops an above average shot I just don't see how he would complement any top 6 line.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Exactly what several have already said

I like Nic but your post is the best one so far on this thread.

Report card from me:

Dano has struggled and if they sent him down fine but he is not waiver exempt.

Petan has not done enough and might as well go down and play big minutes. It’s a long season and injuries happen we may need him at some point. He is waiver eligible so he was the odd man out.

Copp has dissapointed me so far and could have been sent down.

Tanev tries hard but he would be better suited to the middle six in AHL or a maybe the 4th line in the NHL with a fighter that plays 3 minutes a night. Like James Wright before him we won’t miss him when he is gone.

Matthias has sucked and I am looking forward to saying goodbye when the season is done.

Hendricks has not failed yet but according to the Oil fans who love him his time has come and gone. That being said it’s hard to do much worse than the guys on this list this year so my give a 5hit factor is pretty low.

Armia started really slow this season but I think he is a decent bottom six asset.

Lowry is fine at what he does and he is a decent bottom six asset with limited 5v5 offensive skills.

Our bottom six has sucked since Lowry’s injury, we have iced two crappy 4th lines. The season is young though so no need to panic and I think time with the Moose will be good for Nic.

Last edited:
Reactions: Justin17L
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad