NHLPA, Kyle Palmieri, and Scott Wilson sue the city of Pittsburgh

Status
Not open for further replies.

HugoLalumiere

May 20, 2013
Montreal, Quebec
Interesting, if it was a fee in order to play, the NHLPA could challenge that players don't have to pay the fee to play in games, and then the team would have to pay for it...

basically, it would become a bargaining issue.

And then the fans would end up paying that fee. Because if the team's gonna pay that fee, you can sure as hell bet that would be passed on to the fans. You pay so your team can play on the road. How quaint.

Tall Morty

Visualize the action to actualize the vision
Apr 18, 2017
855053.jpg

I quoted this at work today and no one knew what the hell I was talking about :(

Ms Maggie

Apr 11, 2017
It's taxation without representation, which is against the US Constitution. These people have no say in the cities Government therefore they have no obligation to be taxed by the City Government.
It's not in the Constitution. When you visit a state other than your own, do you pay sales tax? Highway tolls?

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Pittsburgh shouldn't be taxing hockey players' jocks. That's ridiculous.

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
Don't knock bike lines. They're a great thing.
Not for a mountain locked, river locked, limited space hilly city where the weather is freezing and/or rainy 75% of the year.

No one uses them but they keep building them. Pandering at it's finest.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
But you can buy a house in Pittsburgh for that same $12,000 . Yes I've been through those neighborhoods heading to a place from Diners Drive ins and Dives

If you can buy a house in Pittsburgh for $12k, I'd ****ing love to be pointed out to those houses.

Not for a mountain locked, river locked, limited space hilly city where the weather is freezing and/or rainy 75% of the year.

No one uses them but they keep building them. Pandering at it's finest.

Okay boomer.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Watching equals ratings. Not sure where u think these salaries come from but its not from the gate.

I mean considering how i watch i doubt anyone from the NHL sees a dime from that . Not that this matters.

Reactions: thebus88

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
By the same token, how would out of state fans feel if they walked up to the arena to buy a ticket to watch a game, and had to pay an extra tax that locals didn't pay? This after paying for a hotel room, spending money at local shops and taverns, and already putting money into the local economy?

It's easy to brush off jock tax because millionaires are the targets, but if government tried the same thing to Joe Fan, people would go nuts.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
By the same token, how would out of state fans feel if they walked up to the arena to buy a ticket to watch a game, and had to pay an extra tax that locals didn't pay? This after paying for a hotel room, spending money at local shops and taverns, and already putting money into the local economy?

It's easy to brush off jock tax because millionaires are the targets, but if government tried the same thing to Joe Fan, people would go nuts.
They already do. Pittsburg has guaranteed the sports teams loans get paid every year. I know 1 interest payment the city was on the hook for is in the upper 2mil range. All tax payer money.

also. Holy false equivalency Batman.

also, ever tried to buy an out of state fishing license?

Reactions: Garbage Goal

ItWasJustified

Jan 1, 2015
Scott Wilson is a guy who's made close to league minimum his whole career, which is probably more than me and you but not a lot for the lifestyle he lives as a pro hockey player.
If he has lived above his means, that's his problem, not anybody else's.

MoeManthaMustache

Aug 21, 2007
It's a PA constitutional matter.

PA constitution says all taxes should be uniform.

Players contend the visitor tax and the home tax is not uniform.

There are lesser challenges made based on the US constitution as well.

It's all right there in the two page paper

Reactions: aemoreira1981

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
It's taxation without representation, which is against the US Constitution. These people have no say in the cities Government therefore they have no obligation to be taxed by the City Government.
What about sales tax if you're traveling to another state? I think "taxation without representation" was more about breaking from the British empire than it was about necessarily guaranteeing representation on EVERY tax paid.

Sounds like the issue isn't the tax per se, but the difference between being a resident "jock" (1%) and a visiting "jock" (3%), which makes it a little bit more nuanced than some of the previous posts might indicate.
100% this is the issue. The jock tax as a whole is not a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad