NHLPA 2023-24 Player Poll unveiled

Hobble

Sep 2, 2010
A players poll that actually casts Winnipeg in a relatively positive light (having good ice)?

Move over eclipse for “something I won’t see again in my lifetime”.

tabness

be a playa
Apr 4, 2014
empty nets overwhelmingly voted Kucherov as the most dangerous player (Crosby second his game so complete that he even got this going for him)

frederixx

Dec 5, 2005
Panarin, really? Players don't watch much playoffs game. I think he's even worst than Marner and Matthews comes meaningful games

avsfan9

Jul 28, 2011
So …. Is Cale Makar good or bad? There seems to be a discrepancy between hfboards “experts” and actual nhl players that play in the same league. Who am I kidding those nhlers don’t know shit…

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
So …. Is Cale Makar good or bad? There seems to be a discrepancy between hfboards “experts” and actual nhl players that play in the same league. Who am I kidding those nhlers don’t know shit…
Should probably buy him out :sarcasm:

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016

The players voted Carey Price as the best goalie like three years after he went in LTIR. If this season is the start of a steady decline in Makar's game (which I'm not suggesting it is), the players will most likely notice sometime around Christmas of 2029.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
People that disagree with the players typically are detached from reality. It's not to say anyone is right or wrong, but "reality" is going to be determined more by the guys playing the actual game and not neckbeards surfing Reddit while only watching their team. It's a tale as old as time.

It reminds me of the analytics crew that refuse to look at game flow or eye test; they boil everything down to numbers, when numbers are simply a tool of measurement, not an indication of better or worse.

Exactly!

Competent professionals watch the games and then look at stats to see if they correlate. If they do not correlate they then go to video to determine the reason for these discrepancies and to form answers to explain what the stats are actually saying.

Fans who don't understand the game watch the game and then look at stats to form their entire opinion.

Reactions: george14

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Teams gameplan before games, they go over videos and strategies for every match up. I would say every NHL player is very aware of how every top 30 player at a position plays and their tendencies. If they don't, the coaching staff have failed at their job. So it's silly for people to say the players know nothing and only focus on personal experiences, considering how chess like hockey has become compared to say 20 years ago.

For example, if you're facing the Oilers, you've already got it ingrained in you how fast McDavid will get a step on you. Otherwise McDavid could blow past everyone and score on the first faceoff of a game because a player underestimated his speed

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
Sorokin finishing 3rd in the very first category has me questioning how much NHLers are actually paying attention on a season to season basis
I doubt that most NHLers are paying attention to stats anywhere near as much as the average HFBoards poster

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
I like the idea of unusual non traditional European hockey venues but does Italy even have proper venues that would support a European NHL series game?

Milan has or will have a 16k arena but what else is there?
Out of interest I checked Spain as well and their biggest venue is up in Bilbao at barely 15k.

I know why the players want to go to Italy, but in all honesty I'd love to see games in countries like Italy and Spain.

Reactions: dalewood12

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
I doubt that most NHLers are paying attention to stats anywhere near as much as the average HFBoards poster
They actually play the game against each other. Their rankings are based on experiences and reputations, something fans can’t relate too. If you ask McDavid who the best goalie is right now, the first thing that runs threw his head isn’t going to be “I wonder which goalie has the best GSAA right now.”

Reactions: Lshap

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
They actually play the game against each other. Their rankings are based on experiences and reputations, something fans can’t relate too. If you ask McDavid who the best goalie is right now, the first thing that runs threw his head isn’t going to be “I wonder which goalie has the best GSAA right now.”

So if your team plays two games against the Kraken in a season and Grubauer stands on his head and shuts you out both those times and the player thinks he's the best goalie, he's right because it's his subjective experience? Or could stats perhaps help that player understand that those two games might have been anomalies?

Reactions: BonMorrison

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
How many minutes in a season does NHLer A typically play against NHLer B, on average?

Reactions: notsocommonsense

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
So if your team plays two games against the Kraken in a season and Grubauer stands on his head and shuts you out both those times and the player thinks he's the best goalie, he's right because it's his subjective experience? Or could stats perhaps help that player understand that those two games might have been anomalies?
The eye test has been lost among fans because it’s considered to opinionated nowadays to be taken seriously online. When we’re talking about players, they aren’t talking with a bunch of randoms on the internet or people sitting around a table at work that think they know the sport, they’re talking amongst other professional players that actually live hockey. I was a big Carey Price fan for example. People were always blown away when he was ranked as the top goalie in NHLPA polls after down years statistically, but the players are capable of looking past just numbers. As for your Grubauer analogy, most people, not just players are able to distinguish a really good goalie having a bad game vs a bad goalie having a good game without using any stats.

Reactions: Lshap

JimmyApples

Sep 24, 2021
Seems like his peers don’t think much about Matthews, in comparison to HF/media. Not surprised.

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
The players voted Carey Price as the best goalie like three years after he went in LTIR. If this season is the start of a steady decline in Makar's game (which I'm not suggesting it is), the players will most likely notice sometime around Christmas of 2029.
carey price has only been ltir retired for 2 seasons now.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Relevant:

download - 2024-04-11T102736.561.png

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Jeff Blair, a baseball reporter for Sportsnet radio in Toronto, used to work as the PR guy for the Montreal Expos. As such, he was responsible for handing out media polls and such l to the players and collecting their results. He has commented in the past that some players seemed very thoughtful about their answers while some seemed to just be scribbling down the first name they thought of. Still others would just throw it away. So, there's always questions about these kinds of polls and their results.

Reactions: Machinehead

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad