NHLPA 2023-24 Player Poll unveiled

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
With McDavid clearing nearly half the vote for forward most wanted to win one game, is this where the opinion of the players doesn’t matter again?

Reactions: nturn06

george14

Mar 9, 2014
Detroit, MI
With McDavid clearing nearly half the vote for forward most wanted to win one game, is this where the opinion of the players doesn’t matter again?
People that disagree with the players typically are detached from reality. It's not to say anyone is right or wrong, but "reality" is going to be determined more by the guys playing the actual game and not neckbeards surfing Reddit while only watching their team. It's a tale as old as time.

It reminds me of the analytics crew that refuse to look at game flow or eye test; they boil everything down to numbers, when numbers are simply a tool of measurement, not an indication of better or worse.

Last edited:

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
These polls are historically relevant but it's very annoying that the NHLPA beats around the bush and won't directly ask the most relevant questions - best forward, defenceman, goaltender, and player. You can obviously surmise the answers to those questions anyway, so just ask directly even though the percentages will slightly differ. The changes in the questions year to year are also annoying.

McDavid as second most difficult player to play against in his own end is.... interesting. I'd guess players are scared of giving him the chance to take off in transition but some explanations would be interesting.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
People that disagree with the players typically are detached from reality. It's not to say anyone is right or wrong, but "reality" is going to be determined more by the guys playing the actual game and not neckbeards surfing Reddit while only watching their team. It's a tale as old as time.

It reminds me of the analytics crew that refuse to look at game flow or eye test; they boil everything down to numbers, when numbers are simply a tool of measurement, not an indication of better or worse.
What happens when two players disagree with each other?

• Haha
Reactions: kingsholygrail

thegazelle

Nov 11, 2019
Shocked that 10% (#3 in the poll) think that Matthews has style.
Yeah, I thought by style they meant playing style. Sounds like what they are referring to is fashion sense, which seems like a rather stupid category and something that you'd expect to see in an NBA players poll.

Personally I like polls like this - you'd think that the opinion of your peers would have much more relevance and weight to a player, than some sports writers, talk show hosts, or random forum readers on the internet.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
These polls are historically relevant but it's very annoying that the NHLPA beats around the bush and won't directly ask the most relevant questions - best forward, defenceman, goaltender, and player. You can obviously surmise the answers to those questions anyway, so just ask directly even though the percentages will slightly differ. The changes in the questions year to year are also annoying.

McDavid as second most difficult player to play against in his own end is.... interesting. I'd guess players are scared of giving him the chance to take off in transition but some explanations would be interesting.
Yeah, it's why the Athletic player or executive polls tend to be more interesting. They are smaller and anonymous, but they have the quotes explaining things.

Also, I remember the year Matthews won the Lindsey, he didn't fair particularly well in these polls, but ended up winning the Hart and Lindsey that year, so how much thought is put into the voting is probably questionable.

Juxta Position

Jul 2, 2006

Mcdavid is incredibly good at stripping players of the puck, there was very recent example floating around the interwebs recently of McDavid stripping MacKinnon of the puck while chasing him down. Players notice these things far more than fans do. the little plays on the ice that we don't catch on TV, the players take note.

It makes sense though with how quick McDavid's hands are that he would always be a threat to an opposing player of stealing the puck from them.

But because it doesn't fall in line with the false narrative that McDavid is bad defensively, a large segment of mouth-breathing fans will say that the players that are actually competing against McDavid are somehow wrong.

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012

Vasi having such a huge lead with the “goalie you’d want for a game” seems a bit dated, same with Hellebuyck being so low on the list. Vasi is a fantastic goalie but I don’t think he’s that far ahead of the rest

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad