NHLPA 2023-24 Player Poll unveiled

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
They don’t, it’s been well established.

Hockey players are too busy training , playing games, traveling , and slaying bunnies to pay attention to this shit like us losers

Last night Vesey admitted he’s paying close attention to the playoff race around the league and that the rest of the team makes fun of him for it
That's why I hate things like this.

Some goober is gonna bookmark this and when I say something he doesn't like, he's gonna be like "akhchooally the 'experts' disagree with you."

I don't care.

I analyze this game every day. When's the last time you think one of the players actually sat down and took a good look at what's happening beyond their own team? Probably never?

Reactions: Three On Zero

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
carey price has only been ltir retired for 2 seasons now.

Duh.

712.gif

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine

Some goober is gonna bookmark this and when I say something he doesn't like, he's gonna be like "akhchooally the 'experts' disagree with you."

I don't care.

I analyze this game every day. When's the last time you think one of the players actually sat down and took a good look at what's happening beyond their own team? Probably never?

Before every game. Teams will have video sessions breaking down their next opponent and what to expect - tendencies of players, how the opposing teams like to transition up the ice, where the other goalie tends to let in the most goals, etc etc.

Reactions: Thallis

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Before every game. Teams will have video sessions breaking down their next opponent and what to expect - tendencies of players, how the opposing teams like to transition up the ice, where the other goalie tends to let in the most goals, etc etc.
Yeah, for their game that night.

79 games a year, they wouldn't notice if you hopped around on one leg.

I'm not throwing shade. They're entrenched in what happens in games against their team. That's what they get paid to do.

It's also a horrible sample to draw analysis from, and their opinions shouldn't be treated as sacrosanct.

Reactions: BonMorrison

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Yeah, for their game that night.

79 games a year, they wouldn't notice if you hopped around on one leg.

I'm not throwing shade. They're entrenched in what happens in games against their team. That's what they get paid to do.

It's also a horrible sample to draw analysis from, and their opinions shouldn't be treated as sacrosanct.

Their opinions on opposing players carry no more or less weight than media or fan opinions unless specific questions like " who's hardest to play against ".

But to say they don't pay attention to what's going on around the league is widely inaccurate. Are they sitting down and analyzing flow charts from Natural Stat Trick? Probably not. That's the analytic department's job and they filer that down to the video coaches, who filter it down to the bench coaches, who then filter it down to the players. But I know for a fact they watch other team's games and use their own experience and perspective as a hockey player to analyze the game on a level fans that have never played simply can't.

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
I just wonder how much the games against each other affect their choices. For example McDavid has just one point in three games against Dallas Stars this year. How many Stars players think McDavid is the forward to have in the key game?

digmor crusher

Jul 11, 2009
Only thing the Leaf muffins won was best dressed, sounds about right. Shows what the players actually think about these clowns. Time to buy another purse boys.

Reactions: Cypruss

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Ya, why Italy?
Good food, and nice weather if you go early enough. Why not?

I think the better question would be why on earth would these players want to go to f***ing Sweden or England during the season.

I really want to see all the answers for this specific question though.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017

I don't care.

I genuinely believe these polls would be more accurate if you applied all the answers to the season two years prior.

Reactions: Buck Naked

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I genuinely believe these polls would be more accurate if you applied all the answers to the season two years prior.
Yeah, this is accurate.

I feel like a lot of these choices are "hey I really remember this guy being a pain in the ass" and that game was two years ago.

Sports2

smack my bisch up
Jul 1, 2018
I don’t know if it’s been mentioned, but reading some of the observations and thoughts in this thread- I wonder how much players feel a certain pressure to answer the “right” way. I mean, coming from the NHLPA, its basically like filling out a survey at work. I wonder how much of an old boys club it is and if players feel like they could be ostracized for not “showing respect” to the right people and towing the company line.

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
They don’t, it’s been well established.

Hockey players are too busy training , playing games, traveling , and slaying bunnies to pay attention to this shit like us losers

Last night Vesey admitted he’s paying close attention to the playoff race around the league and that the rest of the team makes fun of him for it

The "only people who play THE GAME know better" crowd get so offended when this is pointed out. Athletes only look at the game coming up for them not everywhere else. It's work for them, they go home and watch highlights but they're not geeks like us.

Except for Mark Scheifele.

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Jeff Blair, a baseball reporter for Sportsnet radio in Toronto, used to work as the PR guy for the Montreal Expos. As such, he was responsible for handing out media polls and such l to the players and collecting their results. He has commented in the past that some players seemed very thoughtful about their answers while some seemed to just be scribbling down the first name they thought of. Still others would just throw it away. So, there's always questions about these kinds of polls and their results.
Opinion polls are just that – opinions. Some will be more informed/thoughtful than others.

It's easy to pick holes in a players poll, but let's be clear about these results: These guys play each other face to face. Even their most limited contact includes inside info from coaches, staff and other players.

Being an informed fan makes us an informed customer. Let's not pretend we know more about the employees than the employees themselves.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad