NHL TV Ratings and Revenue

Status
Not open for further replies.

MAROONSRoad

f/k/a Ghost
Feb 24, 2007
Maroons Rd.
More bad news reported by the Montreal Gazette

"TSN is reporting strong ratings for its NHL coverage, but that's the only good news regarding the television coverage of the NHL playoffs. CBC's numbers are down...The playoffs started with three Canadian teams - down from four last season - and only two are still in action...

The situation south of the border remains dismal...

The Devils and Lightning drew a 0.7 rating Sunday and that was down 41.7 per cent from last year. A poker show before the hockey game had a 0.9 rating and a swim meet after the NHL game drew a 0.8.

Saturday's Detroit-Calgary game drew a 0.8 rating, down 20 per cent from the corresponding game last season.

The midweek ratings on Versus are too small to measure in some markets."

Full article here:

http://www.canada.com/montrealgazette/columnists/story.html?id=ba5f8e72-3080-41e4-83db-311e99ac3772

GHOST

MAROONSRoad

f/k/a Ghost
Feb 24, 2007
Maroons Rd.
Canadian audience figures week of April 16-22, 2007

As reported by BBM Nielsen Media Research:

National:
NHL Playoffs Round 1 TT: 1,652,000
NHL Playoffs Round 1 MTWTFSS: 1,171,000

http://www.bbm.ca/en/nat04162007.pdf

Calgary DMA:
NHL Playoffs Round 1 TT: 232,000 [number 1 TV audience for the week in Calgary DMA]
NHL Playoffs Round 1 SS: 93,000
NHL Playoffs Round 1 MTWTFSS: 88,000

http://www.bbm.ca/en/cal04162007.pdf

Vancouver DMA:
NHL Playoffs Round 1 TT: 532,000 [number 1 TV audience for the week in Vancouver DMA]
NHL Playoffs Round 1 MTWTFSS: 258,000

http://www.bbm.ca/en/van04162007.pdf

GHOST

Bobby Orr

via Kukla:

For Detroit sports fans on Saturday, it was the ultimate channel surfing paradise: The Pistons, Red Wings and Tigers all in your living room on the same afternoon, with two of the three involved in playoff games.

Even the Lions made a featured appearance -- thanks to the NFL draft.

So who was the big winner of the TV ratings game on this Super Sports Saturday?

According to Nielsen Media Research, it was the Red Wings, which drew a 9.1 on Channel 4, followed by the Pistons (7.6 combined) on TNT and Channel 20, the NFL draft (5.4) on ESPN and the Tigers (2.8) on FSN.

One TV ratings point equals 19,380 area households.

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
I already posted this article in another thread, but I guess this is the more appropriate thread for it, so I'll post it here as well.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey/rangers/ny-spmedia015193951may01,0,1410844.column

NewsDay said:
NASCAR outraces Rangers

It usually is not news when hockey ratings fall flat, but sometimes the numbers hit you like a crosscheck to the face.

Sunday's Sabres-Rangers game, even with a boost from two overtimes, drew 1.8 percent of households in the New York area. That trailed NASCAR on Fox (2.1) and a Tiger-less Byron Nelson Classic on CBS (1.9). Yikes!

1 state, 2 worlds

So far the NHL playoffs are proving to be a tad more popular in the Buffalo area than in New York. The percentages of homes with Versus that tuned in for Game 1 in each market and of homes with NBC (pretty much everyone) for Game 3:

New York Buffalo

Game 1 1.1 25.3

Game 3 1.8 29.8

MAROONSRoad

f/k/a Ghost
Feb 24, 2007
Maroons Rd.
Versus using Canadian telecasts of playoff games

Hi Folks,

I was somewhat surprised to learn that Versus is using TSN and CBC/HNIC feeds for some of their national USA playoff broadcasts instead of their own play-by-play/tv crews. For instance, the last San Jose Sharks vs Detroit Redwings game (two American teams) on Versus used TSN's feed, except for between period commentary, and tonight's Canucks vs Ducks game used HNIC's feed, except for between period commentary. In a sense, I think this is a good move in that the quality of broadcasts from both HNIC and TSN is very high.

However, it's also somewhat shocking to me as a Canadian that the national USA broadcast of a game between two big-market American teams, the SF Bay area Sharks and Detroit Redwings, is using the Canadian TSN broadcast to show the games nationally in the USA. The reality, however, is that more Canadians than Americans are probably watching those games.

Question to Detroit fans: do the Detroit Redwings still have their own crew showing the games in Detroit or are you just getting the TSN feed? Question to all USA fans: is this a long standing practice that yours truly was just not aware of?

Thanks.

GHOST

Randall Graves*

they used canadian feeds for the playoffs last year too..why wouldn't they? their production and their broadcast teams are better.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
However, it's also somewhat shocking to me as a Canadian that the national USA broadcast of a game between two big-market American teams, the SF Bay area Sharks and Detroit Redwings, is using the Canadian TSN broadcast to show the games nationally in the USA. The reality, however, is that more Canadians than Americans are probably watching those games.

Question to Detroit fans: do the Detroit Redwings still have their own crew showing the games in Detroit or are you just getting the TSN feed? Question to all USA fans: is this a long standing practice that yours truly was just not aware of?

Thanks.

GHOST

Locally we've been getting the FSN crew. Now, the feed I was getting was in HD but I don't know if they were picking up TSN's feed or producing their own. All DRW home and away games are broadcast on Fox or FSN, many of these available in HD. So I know they have the equipment. You've seen the ratings numbers, which have been at ~175 K for round 2. I don't know that those ratings are higher anywhere in Canada (vs. the local market), however I haven't done the calculation overall. Seeing that the West Coast games start at 10 PM Eastern... I'd guess that would have some effect as well in the most populous hockey markets (mainly being in the East). Newfoundland, of course, may have 100% of households tuning in... ;)

MAROONSRoad

f/k/a Ghost
Feb 24, 2007
Maroons Rd.
they used canadian feeds for the playoffs last year too..why wouldn't they? their production and their broadcast teams are better.

I just find it somewhat suprising that the primary broadcaster for two American teams would be a Canadian sport cable network, with the feed picked up by an American sports cable network. Did this occur in the ESPN/pre-lockout era also?

Thanks,

GHOST

Sotnos

Jul 8, 2002
Not here
www.boltprospects.com
I just find it somewhat suprising that the primary broadcaster for two American teams would be a Canadian sport cable network, with the feed picked up by an American sports cable network. Did this occur in the ESPN/pre-lockout era also?

Thanks,

GHOST
No, but in the 2nd round I don't remember if they showed as many games. I doubt it.

Why is this a big deal? The game is on for people without CI or the local broadast, nothing wrong with that.

MAROONSRoad

f/k/a Ghost
Feb 24, 2007
Maroons Rd.
Atlanta Thrashers: Stanley Cup ratings on thin ice

I don't think this has been posted.

According to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution:

"The first playoff series in Thrashers history went largely unnoticed by Atlanta television viewers [Emphasis added].

The three Thrashers playoff games shown on SportSouth and Fox Sports Net drew less than one-seventh of the local television audience that tuned in to the Braves games on the same nights, while the Thrashers playoff game shown on NBC was outdrawn among Atlanta viewers by a NASCAR Busch Series race and a taped figure-skating show."

Game 1 (on SportsSouth): 0.7 rating or 15,400 households in Atlanta DMA.

Game 2 (on NBC): 1.9 rating or 41,900 households in Atlanta DMA.

Game 3 (on Fox Sports Network): 0.4 rating or 8,800 households in Atlanta DMA.

Game 4 (on SportsSouth): 0.4 rating or 8,800 households in Atlanta DMA.

Here's the link to the article:

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/thrashers/stories/2007/04/20/0422sptbiz.html

BTW, Atlanta DMA is the 9th largest city TV market in the USA, ahead of such cities as Detroit, Minneapolis, Denver, Buffalo and Pittsburgh.

GHOST

Fugu

They're also saving on production costs. It makes sense all around.

From what Fugu's saying...VS doesn't have the exclusive rights on these late games. Makes sense, but I didn't know that.

Well tonight we have the VS feed only, and it's available in HD. I'm not sure how they are dividing this up between networks, but I guess as long as I get the game I'm happy.

bleed_oil

Aug 16, 2005
I don't think this has been posted.

According to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution:

"The first playoff series in Thrashers history went largely unnoticed by Atlanta television viewers [Emphasis added].

The three Thrashers playoff games shown on SportSouth and Fox Sports Net drew less than one-seventh of the local television audience that tuned in to the Braves games on the same nights, while the Thrashers playoff game shown on NBC was outdrawn among Atlanta viewers by a NASCAR Busch Series race and a taped figure-skating show."

Game 1 (on SportsSouth): 0.7 rating or 15,400 households in Atlanta DMA.

Game 2 (on NBC): 1.9 rating or 41,900 households in Atlanta DMA.

Game 3 (on Fox Sports Network): 0.4 rating or 8,800 households in Atlanta DMA.

Game 4 (on SportsSouth): 0.4 rating or 8,800 households in Atlanta DMA.

Here's the link to the article:

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/thrashers/stories/2007/04/20/0422sptbiz.html

BTW, Atlanta DMA is the 9th largest city TV market in the USA, ahead of such cities as Detroit, Minneapolis, Denver, Buffalo and Pittsburgh.

GHOST

Unreal.... 8,800 households... thats fewer people watching on TV than number of fans you get for a junior playoff game in Red Deer or Calgary.... :amazed:

MAROONSRoad

f/k/a Ghost
Feb 24, 2007
Maroons Rd.
Unreal.... 8,800 households... thats fewer people watching on TV than number of fans you get for a junior playoff game in Red Deer or Calgary.... :amazed:

bleed_oil, I agree 8,800 households is unreal. To put it in context, you've got a promising team that won its division and is going to the post season for the first time. You're playing an Original Six franchise, the New York Rangers. The third and forth games are being played at Madision Square Gardens in NY so it's not like all of the fans are watching the game live at Atlanta's Philips Arena. You're talking about a city of over 5 million in the metro area, similar in size to Toronto's metro area, with over 2.2 million TV households.

GHOST

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005

Only if you think that all households contain just one person.

MAROONSRoad

f/k/a Ghost
Feb 24, 2007
Maroons Rd.

The issue isn't the size of households, but the number of viewers per household. From data I've seen it's less than 2 viewers or something between 1.3 and 1.5 viewers at least for national hockey broadcasts in the USA.

The point remains, however, even if we assume 20,000 TV viewers (instead of 8,800 households) for the Thrashers vs Rangers' final two playoff games of the series in a market of over 5 million people, such number shows that there is basically no interest in the market, the point the article made very clearly. By way of comparison, Vancouver, a city with less than half the population of Atlanta, had audiences of between over 200,000 and over 500,000 for the first round of the playoffs. See also the households figures for Buffalo, 160,000 households (versus 8,800 households for Atlanta) for one game (and Buffalo is a much smaller market than either Vancouver or Atlanta).

GHOST

Last edited:

MAROONSRoad

f/k/a Ghost
Feb 24, 2007
Maroons Rd.
Trends: Canadian vs US numbers for non-Canadian teams' 1st round NHL playoff series

According to the Globe & Mail:

"CBC drew 783,000 for the Tampa Bay Lightning-New Jersey Devils game on Wednesday. TSN had 554,000 for Buffalo Sabres-New York Islanders and 557,000 for Nashville Predators-San Jose Sharks. TSN's first-round audiences are up 26 per cent from last year."

Article here:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20070420.TRUTH20/TPStory/TPSports/Television/

And in Nashville:

"Ratings slide: Approximately 13,217 homes in the Nashville television market tuned in to watch Game 1, according to WTVF-5 Program Director Mark Binda.

See here:

http://www.theleafchronicle.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070413/SPORTS/704130376/1006

A reminder from National Public Radio in the USA:

"JAGOW: I am a hockey fan, but apparently I'm one of seven people watching the playoffs, right?

NYAD: It's just about that small. I mean the recent numbers I got for this first round of the playoffs: 267,000 people per game. Nationwide on television. You know and I understand the love and the passion for the game, but the numbers just aren't there. The fans are not there."

See here:

http://marketplace.publicradio.org/shows/2007/04/20/AM200704201.html

Another reminder (a factor of 10x?):

National TV households estimates:

Canada: 12,834,000 (13 million)
USA: 114,000,000 (114 million)

http://www.nielsenmedia.ca/
http://www.nielsenmedia.com/nc/porta...ac0a260aRCR D

National population estimates:

Canada: 32,852,841 (33 million)
USA: 301,371,285 (301 million)

http://www.statcan.ca/english/edu/clock/population.htm
http://www.census.gov/population/www/popclockus.html

GHOST

Last edited:

MAROONSRoad

f/k/a Ghost
Feb 24, 2007
Maroons Rd.
HNIC uses 12 cameras for its broadcasts while some US feeds seem to use a lower number. how many cameras does Vs use?

I don't know, but here is an interesting comment from the Star-Tribune (Twin Cities):

"Hits and misses

• This probably isn't what the management at Versus wants to see, but one of the best things the network has done during its NHL playoff coverage is pick up the feeds of certain games from the Canadian Broadcasting Company [sic] and TSN, which is Canada's version of ESPN. It was actually a bit disappointing Wednesday to find out the San Jose-Detroit game would be a Versus production."

I've seen Versus coverage and it's not bad; much better than ESPN IMHO.

Full article here:

http://www.startribune.com/503/story/1162167.html

GHOST

Last edited:

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
I don't even care any more, ice hockey is a niche sport in the US. What's there to debate?

bleed_oil

Aug 16, 2005

Even if its ~1.4 like Ghost says tahts only ~12,500 people watching :amazed: Thats absolutely astonishing. Bettemen and his lackeys should be dismissed ASAP... At ~12,500 viewers you are less than a "niche sport" you are completely and totally irrelevant. Thats 12,500/>5,000,000 people in Atlanta or roughly 0.0025% of people in the area to watch a playoff hockey game... absolutely amazing to the point that I would have to think its statistically impossible and there may be a problem with the ratings measurement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia