NHL.TV / Center Ice / ESPN+ Discussion - Part IV [See the warning in OP]

DutchHockeyGuy

Mar 8, 2007
NHL.tv has been a pleasant surprise so far. After the issues on day 1 streams have worked well both live and on demand. I like the fact you get the commercials and intermissions instead of just the ESPN logo accompanied by a nerve wrecking wave sound. Choice of home and away works fine too.
Now get an Apple TV app and I would be a very happy customer.

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada
As a current Telus subscriber in Canada, what do people recommend as the most painless way to watch NHL games from out of my market? Ideally I will watch at my PC, on my phone, and on my Chromecast.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
NHL.tv has been a pleasant surprise so far. After the issues on day 1 streams have worked well both live and on demand. I like the fact you get the commercials and intermissions instead of just the ESPN logo accompanied by a nerve wrecking wave sound. Choice of home and away works fine too.
Now get an Apple TV app and I would be a very happy customer.

Where's the on demand? I can't find it. gamecenter only lets me see the recaps? I missed the first 2 games of my team because I was traveling and I can't figure out how to watch the replay? It only gives me the option to watch the recap.

Mach2

Jan 15, 2021
Take a look at ESPN's site for their schedule of upcoming NHL games. It looks like ESPN/ESPN+'s showing of NHL games is almost non-existent after 5 Nov! I'm hoping this is a mistake.

DutchHockeyGuy

Mar 8, 2007
Where's the on demand? I can't find it. gamecenter only lets me see the recaps? I missed the first 2 games of my team because I was traveling and I can't figure out how to watch the replay? It only gives me the option to watch the recap.
There is a separate NHL.tv app.

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
There is a separate NHL.tv app.

Not in America anymore. The NHL.tv app was discontinued in North America, as far as I know, as soon as ESPN bought the NHL rights for North America.

The NHL.tv app has been working fine for games themselves in Europe so far (both live and on-demand, instantly upon game completion) for me (apart from the initial subscription chaos), but I do have one major gripe: they no longer carry any pre-game or post-games shows, :mad: although they did use to carry them in previous seasons (at least for live games they did).

That's a major annoyance to me. I consider pre-game and post-game shows integral parts of a hockey broadcast. The experience for a sports fan, without them, is incomplete.

Pre-game and post-game shows should definitely be available for both live games and archived feeds.

DutchHockeyGuy

Mar 8, 2007
Not in America anymore. The NHL.tv app was discontinued in North America, as far as I know, as soon as ESPN bought the NHL rights for North America.

The NHL.tv app has been working fine for games themselves in Europe so far (both live and on-demand, instantly upon game completion) for me (apart from the initial subscription chaos), but I do have one major gripe: they no longer carry any pre-game or post-games shows, :mad: although they did use to carry them in previous seasons (at least for live games they did).

That's a major annoyance to me. I consider pre-game and post-game shows integral parts of a hockey broadcast. The experience for a sports fan, without them, is incomplete.

Pre-game and post-game shows should definitely be available for both live games and archived feeds.
I watched the full start of Hockey Night in Canada on Saturday. Including the pre show montage.

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
I watched the full start of Hockey Night in Canada on Saturday. Including the pre show montage.

Hockey Night in Canada is a different case – it's an entire show, as a single unit.

I'm an LA Kings fan and they (on Bally Sports West) have a pre-game show that's 30 minutes long before every game, and then they have a post-game show of around 20 to 30 minutes after every game.

In previous seasons, at least for live games, both the pre-game and the post-game show was carried by the NHL.tv app. This season so far, they are not. :thumbd:

That content isn't the NHL's to redistribute. Would be nice, I do agree.

I don't think that's the explanation; I'd say it's more negligence / carelessness / ignorance / whatever. If what you say were true, then they wouldn't have been carrying pre-game and post-game shows in previous seasons either, but they did (for live games at least; but they should also be available on-demand).

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
The 64.99 pending transaction charge on my account is gone and didn't go through, so the final cost for me was £83.94. Which I think is cheaper than before and very good. Everything else seems to be the same as last year so that's fine.

Are they gone in live games? I don't watch live very often but I know there's usually been an amount of post-game when I have. The "it's not the NHL's content" bit makes sense, but if that was the case surely they'd go back to blocking out the stuff during intermissions.

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
The 64.99 pending transaction charge on my account is gone and didn't go through

Something similar is happening for me here. Only a few hours ago, I received an automated email from PayPal, telling me I would receive the full refund for the mistaken charge on the "Mid-Season Subscription".

I suppose that following that, the app will once again go dead on me, and I will need to manually resubscribe to the Seasonal Subscription at the regular rate of $99 + European VAT tax of around 20%.

Well, whatever! (As long as the app keeps working...)

Are they gone in live games?

Yup... :help: At least for the 2 Kings games broadcast on Bally Sports West this season so far, featuring the Hall of Fame play-by-play announcer Nick Nickson, the NHL.tv app did not show a single minute of the pre-game, nor a single minute of the post-game show.

This was different in previous seasons of NHL.tv: they used to show the full half-hour of the pre-game show as well as the full post-game show for live streams. (Unfortunately, they used to cut them for the on-demand streams, but at least they were there live...)

DutchHockeyGuy

Mar 8, 2007
First couple of minutes of Pit-Det are missing, including the opening goal. No pre game but full intermissions.

We usually had nothing but the espn logo and some nasty wave sound between periods and during ad breaks the last couple of years. So this is progress here.

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
For some reason i received an e-mail saying my subscription has been refunded?!!

Same here, as I said in my previous post above you. (I guess you were mistakenly charged by NHL.tv for a "Mid-Season Subscription" instead of the "Seasonal Subscription", just like myself and many others.)

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Something similar is happening for me here. Only a few hours ago, I received an automated email from PayPal, telling me I would receive the full refund for the mistaken charge on the "Mid-Season Subscription".

I suppose that following that, the app will once again go dead on me, and I will need to manually resubscribe to the Seasonal Subscription at the regular rate of $99 + European VAT tax of around 20%.

Well, whatever! (As long as the app keeps working...)

It seems like they've recognized that they somehow made way less mone from their subscriptions than last year and realized they made a mistake.

The problem for me right now is that I can't buy the full season subscription because the system doesn't accept the payments now.

Though, that might be because my subscription now still runs through Ocoter 26th, for whatever reason.

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
So, now they have deleted my subscription, so I have no access to any games, but they have not returned any money to me, although they promised they would do it by the 18th.

Congratulations, motherf***ers! :mad:

Submitting another complaint to their f***ing chatbot. :mad:

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
Goddamn these motherf***ing f***ers and f***wits! :mad::mad::mad:

Can you imagine what just happened to me?

As mentioned, without a warning, they have canceled my subscription entirely, so I couldn't watch the Kings game (or any game) last night. Had to go to a pirate site to watch it, where I received proper service for free: that is, not just the game in perfect quality, but also the pre-game and the post-game shows.

NHL.tv promised to return the money for the mistaken charge for the "Mid-Season Subscription" to me by Wednesday. What actually happened is that they returned the money to my PayPal account, which forwarded it to one of my cards, to which, however, it still has not arrived 2 days later.

This means that I, right now, have no money and no subscription, either.

So I say, OK: it's only a question of time for the money to arrive to the card. Let me subscribe to the "Seasonal Subscription" manually, then. So I did, and it was supposed to be $99 + 20% of European VAT tax. But wow: PayPal shows that the amount to be paid is €129! :ha:The dollar definitely isn't that strong these days.

So I cancel the PayPal payment (it appears that PayPal uses both a very bad conversion rate between dollars and euros, and adds a heavy surcharge of its own).

I then try to purchase the subscription using one of my Mastercards. Yup, this time around, the amount seems right: €114 including taxes.

So I approve the card transaction. The money goes away... but NHL.tv pops up "Payment rejected" for me, but once again without returning the money to me and without activating any subscription for me! :mad::mad::mad:

So, I have now been charged twice by NHL.tv – both for the "Mid-Season Subscription" and for the "Seasonal Subscription" – they took away €184 in total from me, but I still have no subscription and the NHL.tv app is dead for me!

Are there any words for this, other than outright thievery?

I'm gonna write to their goddamn f***ing chatbot once again, and if they don't return both charges to me immediately, I feel like I'll need to report the NHL to the police for stealing money from EU citizens.

(If all this mess doesn't get resolved promptly, I'll just stay with pirates for the entire season, and will happily pay them for their services if necessary, which have always been of higher quality than the ones provided by the NHL, anyway.)

What a disgrace for the NHL! :thumbd:

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
@Faterson

So your subscription was completely cancelled and you were "able to" buy another subscritpion?

Just asking because right now I still can't purchase another subscription with the system automatically showing me "payment rejected" no matter if I use paypal or a credit card.

Though,according to my profile my current subscription(after being paid back the roughly 70 euros) still runs through October 26th and I can watch games.

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
So your subscription was completely cancelled

Yes, and without any warning from them. :mad:

I was unable to watch any game last night, and the same will be true tonight. The NHL.tv app is dead for me, despite NHL.tv having already charged me twice. :mad:

you were "able to" buy another subscritpion?

NHL.tv pretended that I would be able to purchase the Seasonal Subscription in the usual way (manual, since their automated prolongation promised in their email on September 8th failed).

So I went ahead and purchased it. I confirmed the Mastercard transaction with the fingerprint on my phone.

Now NHL.tv took my money for the second time, but popped up the "Payment rejected" error message. But the money is truly gone – it's simply no longer available on the card, and I still have no subscription. :mad:

Note: if you try to subscribe via the app (I use it both on iPads and on my Android phone and Android tablets), you'll only be offered an overpriced Monthly subscription. If you wish to purchase the Seasonal subscription, just log in to nhl.tv via a regular web browser (on your notebook or desktop computer, for example).

However, this eventually did not help me in any way. I got charged, but still have no subscription.

Just asking because right now I still can't purchase another subscription with the system automatically showing me "payment rejected" no matter if I use paypal or a credit card.

It's obvious that NHL.tv is a huge and utter, total f***up, f***ed up all the way through and round and round. They should give us the current season for free, as an apology for all the chaos and mess they have created. :mad:

Though,according to my profile my current subscription(after being paid back the roughly 70 euros) still runs through October 26th and I can watch games.

Congratulations! It's clear that there is zero logic or explanation behind what's happening to this or that NHL.tv subscriber. They have royally f***ed up everything, so everything is basically f***ed up for everyone, although it may be f***ed up in a different way for each of us. I dare say, though, that no one has been f***ed up quite as thoroughly as myself, given that I've now already been charged twice, and still can't f***ing watch anything. :mad:

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Can anyone watch tonight's games? I am overseas ....espn looks like they have geoblocking going on. If you can see the game, could you state where you are (country)...maybe I can use a VPN?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad