Post-Game Talk: NHL Trade Deadline - Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014
Am I alone in thinking that Ryan McDonagh is grossly overrated ? I have said many time he never scared me being out there against us.

You're not alone, i don't get to see him too often but he always seemed sort of vanilla. I guess he's one of those, not too flashy but reliable on the long run guys. Solid foundation type.

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014
He was asked to carry a putrid Columbus team for years and did well there statistically at least. I’ve never really liked his Ranger teams.

Not every player is going to have the drive to workout like Tom Brady, Chara, Jagr, Chelios etc. I don’t read many stories of Patrick Kane showing up to the rink 2 hours before practice. I don’t know anything about Nash’s personal training habits, but I don’t see where the lazy tag originated. Maybe like Joe Thornton, Nash isn’t a guy who can carry a team on his shoulders. Thankfully the Bruins have Bergeron Marchand Chara Rask Pastrnak Krejci for that. He was brought in to score goals, and play a solid 200 foot game. Nothing that I see right now should hinder him from doing that.

I like the move.

Me too.

Can't wait for his first goal.

Reactions: Oates2Neely

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
I find it hard to believe Sweeney couldn't better that offer. Standing back and watching Tampa become favorites while we got hosed the day before on an aging winger seems pretty unacceptable.

At least we got rid of Vatrano and finally added a player with an ounce+ of grit in Wingles.
Oh he could have, but people would have rightfully flipped their lids in here if he did.

Reactions: Grimey and Thrive

Thrive

Scoish Velociraptor Maloish
Jan 10, 2009
Massachusetts
I find it hard to believe Sweeney couldn't better that offer. Standing back and watching Tampa become favorites while we got hosed the day before on an aging winger seems pretty unacceptable.

At least we got rid of Vatrano and finally added a player with an ounce+ of grit in Wingles.
The Bruins could have, but the Rangers demanded DeBrusk and Sweeney said no.

The ask in a return for a player changes from organization to organization. Tampa was able to afford the ask because they are absolutely loaded at both the NHL level and in their prospect stable.

cobrak

Feb 27, 2002
Hockeyland
Wengels should have no problem cracking bottom lines.Acciari to me about to be odd man out
I can see them rotating Accari Schaller Kuraly Gionta and Wingels the next couple of games just to get everyone acclimated and ready in case of the dreaded end of season injury. Sweeney added some insurance in case/when someone gets hurt so we dont have to rely on unproven rookies.

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA

So no one else on the team til now has grit? Not sure what color of the sky is in your world.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
Love the Wingels trade.
I love the Nash one if we can extend him another 2-3 years (or win the Cup)

Still not excited by the Holden trade. The Bruins have depth already at the bottom it is the top 4 depth that is nonexistent if there is an injury.

Agree to disagree about needing depth on defense but we gave up a third for him and got a better one in return for Vatrano

All in all I think this was the best deadline the Bruins have had since 2011, not that I think they'll win the cup...then again I didn't think they would then either

Grimey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 4, 2017
he has 2 goals this year lol.

He's overrated during this deadline, perhaps; he was arguably the best D option this deadline. In general, I don't think he gets enough credit over guys like, say, Shattenkirk. Very consistent player, love McD's game. But I wouldn't sell the farm for him.

LavioletteScores

Nov 20, 2011
Thought this was one our best deadlines in years.

Reinforced the obvious spots to give themselves a better shot at a decent playoff run without getting crazy. Good stuff, great to see.

Same. I am really excited for the stretch run and playoffs. They've played not so well lately, but we've been spoiled by this crazy three month run

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
0F1297B3-5EA0-45D3-BA3B-BB195F252E24.jpeg
So no one else on the team til now has grit? Not sure what color of the sky is in your world.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I’m not sure where all the stuff about lack of drive or work ethic with Nash is coming from?

Watched the Trade Show today on NHL Network (Sportsnet?) and Kypreos was discussing Nash and E Staal. Said when they were younger things came easier, but that both guy have changed as players as they have aged through hard work. Said he thinks Nash is a better all around player than he was when he was younger and will be one of the hardest workers on the team.

Let’s see how he works out before talking about bringing him back, but it doesn’t sound like effort will be a problem?

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
The Bruins could have, but the Rangers demanded DeBrusk and Sweeney said no.

The ask in a return for a player changes from organization to organization. Tampa was able to afford the ask because they are absolutely loaded at both the NHL level and in their prospect stable.
Do you have a link that said that the Rangers demanded Debrusk? If that was all the Rangers wanted and Sweeney didn't do it, he's even more incompetent than I thought.

Reactions: maxl7

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
I’m not sure where all the stuff about lack of drive or work ethic with Nash is coming from?

Watched the Trade Show today on NHL Network (Sportsnet?) and Kypreos was discussing Nash and E Staal. Said when they were younger things came easier, but that both guy have changed as players as they have aged through hard work. Said he thinks Nash is a better all around player than he was when he was younger and will be one of the hardest workers on the team.

Let’s see how he works out before talking about bringing him back, but it doesn’t sound like effort will be a problem?

Wasn’t it two or three seasons ago that Nash lost a ton of weight and changed his workouts and had a monster year? Looked pretty motivated to me

Thrive

Scoish Velociraptor Maloish
Jan 10, 2009
Massachusetts
Do you have a link that said that the Rangers demanded Debrusk? If that was all the Rangers wanted and Sweeney didn't do it, he's even more incompetent than I thought.

I don’t have a link, this was word of mouth. DeBrusk wasn’t the only piece. What I was getting at was that the Bruins were not in a position to lose DeBrusk nor are they in the position that Tampa is in prospects wise.

Reactions: Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
I don’t have a link, this was word of mouth. DeBrusk wasn’t the only piece. What I was getting at was that the Bruins were not in a position to lose DeBrusk nor are they in the position that Tampa is in prospects wise.
So you really have no idea if Debrusk was involved and it was only speculation on your part?

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
You're not alone, i don't get to see him too often but he always seemed sort of vanilla. I guess he's one of those, not too flashy but reliable on the long run guys. Solid foundation type.

No, you're not alone- I am with Dueling Banjos here. He's a good solid player and any team would probably be glad t have him, but he isn't the player you break a bank for in my opinion. It was one of the HNIC guys I am pretty sure that said on air that the ask was DeBrusk ++++, so to hell with that. McDonagh is good but not worth the reported ask. We did much better getting Nash.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad