NHL to Seattle Volume XV - Moving the Expansion Needle [Upd: 9/24 Arena Reno. Unanimously Approved]

Status
Not open for further replies.

snovalleyhockeyfan

I'm just the messenger.....
May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA
Any Seattle reaction, past, present or future on the exit of Howard Schultz as a power player in the NW?

Hutch, the announcement does not move the needle at all for NHL/Seattle, especially since he's still regarded as persona non grata by a lot of NBA/Sonics supporters here. He's probably going to run for political office in two years and we'll see if his record with Starbucks is enough to wow folks. If he runs against Trump, my guess is he'd probably beat Trump (and I'd say the same thing about Oprah, too, BTW).....

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
JUST THOUGHT it gives a more rounded approach to the thread, thanks for all you've done keeping us informed.... some newcomers to these boards may not be aware of past history et all.... but it piqued an interest.....

Reactions: snovalleyhockeyfan

snovalleyhockeyfan

May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA
JUST THOUGHT it gives a more rounded approach to the thread, thanks for all you've done keeping us informed.... some newcomers to these boards may not be aware of past history et all.... but it piqued an interest.....

You're welcome Hutch and no big deal. With this in mind, here's some of that anti-Schultz perspective, from the pages of the Seattle Times:

Howard Schultz, 2020? We in Seattle know he’d be a lamb to the slaughter

Columnist Danny Westneat's take got a lot of play both with Daniels on Twitter and on local talk radio yesterday with Furness and KIRO's Ron and Don (PM drive time) talking about it on their shows. Some reading material for you Hutch on this Thursday.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH
Feb 7, 2012
Seattle
Any Seattle reaction, past, present or future on the exit of Howard Schultz as a power player in the NW?

Sports Fans Hate him, Large Majority of Seattle Progressives dislike his stance on political issues (There are rumblings that he wants to run for president)

Edit: Oh maybe a thought about impact on either Key Arena or NHL? Little to no impact. His name hasn't been one floated about potential investor in the NHL team.

snovalleyhockeyfan

May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA
SEATTLE HEAD TAX REPEALED

Its funny it didn't last a month. But the voters got upset and got enough signatures to force a public vote. SCC had no choice but to repeal it.

45,000+ to be exact Tommy. Vote was 7-2 and a lot of the councilmembers, actually all of them, were pissed they had to do it too. Hutch, you should have seen the public comment period then the councilmember comment period right after, both of which preceded the vote. :popcorn:. Daniels' Twitter feed has a good summary of some of what went down if you want to go have a look. @ChrisDaniels5. With that out of the way, maybe we can get on to some real business like getting a damn EIS approved by these clowns so we can get some dirt moving down there, shall we??

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
45,000+ to be exact Tommy. Vote was 7-2 and a lot of the councilmembers, actually all of them, were pissed they had to do it too. Hutch, you should have seen the public comment period then the councilmember comment period right after, both of which preceded the vote. :popcorn:. Daniels' Twitter feed has a good summary of some of what went down if you want to go have a look. @ChrisDaniels5. With that out of the way, maybe we can get on to some real business like getting a damn EIS approved by these clowns so we can get some dirt moving down there, shall we??

Again Snovalley, it has no impact what so ever on the EIS, the arena and us getting a NHL team.

snovalleyhockeyfan

May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA
Again Snovalley, it has no impact what so ever on the EIS, the arena and us getting a NHL team.

I know that. My point is that it's time to move on and get on with the business of dealing with the EIS. That said, the larger issues surrounding the impact of the homeless folks on the city will continue and that I think could be a factor still as this process continues. Do not trust Sawant's crowd at all on this one especially after yesterday, Tommy. You saw how extremely pissed they were at that hearing and they're not going to be afraid to go after public financing for anything at this point, including any public funds for the Key renovations, going forward. And even some of the private financing from that they may attempt to grab.

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !

''The point'' it has is that the EIS is dragging, dragging and dragging (just like many other political processes in Seattle). For someone who badly want's a team in his city, you should hope they vote in the next 24 hours.

2019 team debut was never a possibility, 2020 is out of the window, 2021 is still kinda possible but with a lockout looming just around the corner who knows what can happen and the EIS dragging just keeps the 2021 window closing inch by inch.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
''The point'' it has is that the EIS is dragging, dragging and dragging (just like many other political processes in Seattle). For someone who badly want's a team in his city, you should hope they vote in the next 24 hours.

2019 team debut was never a possibility, 2020 is out of the window, 2021 is still kinda possible but with a lockout looming just around the corner who knows what can happen and the EIS dragging just keeps the 2021 window closing inch by inch.

What in the world are you talking about. The EIS is not actually dragging. its schedule to be finished in august. Legally they can't vote on it until after the SEPA review is done.

The public comments for the draft EIS just closed last week. Its on schedule. Everything is on schedule. Again no dragging. This isn't like sodo arena where the EIS was dragging for a whole year longer before it was finally finished.

The target is still 2020 and if all goes to plan with a september 17th approval and construction starting in october, it'll be done before the start of the 20-21 season.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I know that. My point is that it's time to move on and get on with the business of dealing with the EIS. That said, the larger issues surrounding the impact of the homeless folks on the city will continue and that I think could be a factor still as this process continues. Do not trust Sawant's crowd at all on this one especially after yesterday, Tommy. You saw how extremely pissed they were at that hearing and they're not going to be afraid to go after public financing for anything at this point, including any public funds for the Key renovations, going forward. And even some of the private financing from that they may attempt to grab.

Oh lord. Sigh OVG plan is 100% privately funded. Sawant actually voted yes on the MOU.

Feb 7, 2012
Seattle

Show me where the EIS is dragging? Show me where there are substantial delays? I'll wait.

And No, Click-baity headlines from local media do not count.

Feb 7, 2012
Seattle

What Process? Tim and company doesn't really need the city anymore really, especially if the EIS doesn't come up with any major hurdles. There is no 'second' vote here like you had with the street vacation (Which the CM's mentioned was their chance to 'vote' on the MOU). Honestly I think some people are just looking for reasons to try and be nervous about this.

I'll get concerned when the EIS comes up with some major problems. everything until then is right on target.

snovalleyhockeyfan

May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA
What Process? Tim and company doesn't really need the city anymore really, especially if the EIS doesn't come up with any major hurdles. There is no 'second' vote here like you had with the street vacation (Which the CM's mentioned was their chance to 'vote' on the MOU). Honestly I think some people are just looking for reasons to try and be nervous about this.

I'll get concerned when the EIS comes up with some major problems. everything until then is right on target.
Oh lord. Sigh OVG plan is 100% privately funded. Sawant actually voted yes on the MOU.

Guys, I know I've probably been harping on this probably a bit too much and I'm sorry about that. But one of the things that I think that many of us who support and follow this issue don't really profess to know or understand is the political tea leaves and how that can affect our situation. SD, I'm not nervous at all about this. But, I think it's important for all of us to be paying close, close attention to the political dynamics down there going forward out of this vote. IIRC, Tommy, the council is supposed to vote to approve the final EIS once it's done? If yes, that's going to give the council another shot to deal with this issue and while Sawant may have voted yes on the MOU already, that was in a different time and place politically than we I think are now following the vote yesterday. I remain steadfast in saying that this council can not and should not be trusted on this issue, no matter if the EIS is supposed to be a mere formality.

Westneat's column in the Times today pretty much echoes how I think most people who saw yesterday's :popcorn:show down there - and I watched a lot of this online BTW - had to have felt about the council's behavior, and more so the behavior of the Sawant supporters as well. You had one threaten civil disobedience, you had a bunch of others drop F-bombs and some others actually get thrown out of the chambers down there. And the nerve of the council, particularly Mosqueda and Herbold, to engage in the kind of name-calling they did against their constituents, comments which I have to guess made the Sawant people smile, really underscores the point that I am about to make and why I think we have to be vigilant as a fan base on this issue until the minute we move dirt down there.

The Sawant pro-head tax people, and their allies on the council, are very unhappy that the public slapped them across the face like they did with the 45,000 signatures on the referendum to repeal the tax, not only signaling that it was going to go down in flames in November but it's also being speculated that it also was likely going to take the city's school tax levy also on the ballot this fall down with it. To them, this signified a public rejection of their view and vision for how to deal with this and they do not like being told no, especially in the fashion this was done to them. So, these guys I expect are going to get vindictive and start going to go after anything and everything they see as a "giveaway to the rich." That's what this has become to them - a rich vs. poor thing. Any significant public spending this Council attempts to pass going forward these people I think are going to be opposed to it. And guess what? I expect the arena to be a big target for these guys, no matter that its 100% private funding, no matter that it will help bring additional revenue in that will perhaps help address these issues.

They see the arena I believe as a "giveaway to the rich" and with it being a significant regional asset that will benefit the entire Puget Sound area if not the entire Northwest, they'll see an opportunity to stick it to the citizens of this region for their overwhelming disapproval of their notion of how to deal with this issue (more $$ and sticking it to big business). Meaning that the EIS discussion will be their one chance to change the subject and make this about the arena as a whole again just like before when the Port changed the subject around during the street vacation discussion down at SoDo. With this in mind, it's important for everyone to continue to pay attention and continue to keep pressure on this Council, especially Sawant, Herbold and Mosqueda. Everyone is working hard behind the scenes and this is critical work that needs to be done, but we should not as a fan base ignore the political dynamics of City Hall and how those continually changing dynamics from other issues which really should have no bearing on our situation will end up perhaps impacting us.

We can not turn a blind eye to this. Yes, we need to continue moving forward as we have been doing as a fan base on this, but we also need to be keeping an eye on our surroundings and not leaving anything to chance.

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
^What svhf is saying does highlight the bizarre workings of the Seattle political process. I do however believe that the very nature in which council was "embarrassed" by publicly being put in its place, as it were, with this head tax fiasco will not embolden them but weaken their resolve to go against the Key Arena OVG process Doing that would be inviting more of the same especially with Sonic faithful now seeing signs of an eventual return. The council clearly misread their ability to do just about anything it wanted and this money grab tax was a foolish way to try to fix a real problem, homelessness. They offer no solutions except to tax the very corporations driving current growth. Pushback was inevitable. Of course this is just my opinion.

I am also not overly concerned with the group at this meeting making all the noise that supports Sawant having any ability to stop the arena process.

Last edited:

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
^What svhf is saying does highlight the bizarre workings of the Seattle political process. I do however believe that the very nature in which council was "embarrassed" by publicly being put in its place, as it were, with this head tax fiasco will not embolden them but weaken their resolve to go against the Key Arena OVG process Doing that would be inviting more of the same especially with Sonic faithful now seeing signs of an eventual return. The council clearly misread their ability to do just about anything it wanted and this money grab tax was a foolish way to try to fix a real problem, homelessness. They offer no solutions except to tax the very corporations driving current growth. Pushback was inevitable. Of course this is just my opinion.

I am also not overly concerned with the group at this meeting making all the noise that supports Sawant having any ability to stop the arena process.

Its a vocal minority of about 100 people where most of them aren't even Seattle voters.

snovalleyhockeyfan

May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA

Its a vocal minority of about 100 people where most of them aren't even Seattle voters.

NWHF, you make a very fair point. That said, I liken this to a case of "keeping your enemies, and potential enemies, at arm's length." And Tommy, I think there were more than 100 of her people down there and I suspect most of them probably do live in Seattle, probably up on Capitol Hill.

Enough about this, let's move on from this but let's not be alarmed if we have to fight some more to close the deal.

BTW, anyone interested in that Westneat column I referenced, it's here: Lots of blame for Seattle’s head-tax debacle. Except where it belongs.

And incidentally, among the ideas he floats for finding money - going after the tax concessions recently agreed to by the county in their new lease with the Mariners at Safeco Field.

snovalleyhockeyfan

May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA
Tourists attempting to visit Space Needle attacked by homeless man

This is sort of OT and I know that we all want to stop talking about the homeless thing here but the above story seems topical enough as the location of the alleged incident mentioned here is just about five minutes away from the east entrance at Key Arena and actually serves as a good example of the kind of thing I refer to when I make the argument here as I think I've done in the past that out-of-town fans might be receptive to the idea of parking away from the arena and taking public transportation (shuttles, Monorail, etc.) to and from the games down there. Cliffs notes version is that a family of tourists from Arizona were allegedly attacked by a homeless guy near an illegal encampment across the street from the Space Needle. Guy was arrested and one of the family members was injured in the incident.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
I understand your feeling and comments here, snovalley, but as someone who often went to Red Wings games in downtown Detroit, this seems kind of light. We knew to get out right away and not go more than a block away from the old Joe Louis Arena! I think New Jersey and Chicago (to some extent) also have facilities in the not-so-good parts of town.

Reactions: Morrison
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad