NHL to Seattle Volume XV - Moving the Expansion Needle [Upd: 9/24 Arena Reno. Unanimously Approved]

Status
Not open for further replies.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Will be interesting to follow this this summer. Wonder if we hear anything more definite about a team to Seattle which to me, at least, is an if not when now.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I understand your feeling and comments here, snovalley, but as someone who often went to Red Wings games in downtown Detroit, this seems kind of light. We knew to get out right away and not go more than a block away from the old Joe Louis Arena! I think New Jersey and Chicago (to some extent) also have facilities in the not-so-good parts of town.
The fact that it happened in the touristy area is a little more important than it happening in the arena area, even though they're the same area.

That's probably just my Las Vegas background speaking, though. :laugh:

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
The fact that it happened in the touristy area is a little more important than it happening in the arena area, even though they're the same area.

That's probably just my Las Vegas background speaking, though. :laugh:

Joe Louis is in the touristry/business area -- by Detroit conditions!

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Will be interesting to follow this this summer. Wonder if we hear anything more definite about a team to Seattle which to me, at least, is an if not when now.

NHL will get an update next week the actual granting of the franchise won't happen until after the arena is finalized. Unless a major red flag shows up in the FEIS, its pretty much going to get finalized imo.

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
Last edited:
Reactions: snovalleyhockeyfan

snovalleyhockeyfan

I'm just the messenger.....
May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA
No lawsuit yet, but apartment building owners’ challenge could delay KeyArena renovation

Interesting article that 'may' have an impact on EIS and possible Hansen connection to challenge.

I don't expect this to be much of an issue. Seems that the challenge revolves around other sites not being looked at as part of the current EIS process Seems that subject has been beat up and plenty of studies have been done.

Good to see there's other things we can discuss now. Anyway, I too do not see much here that will be an issue. The connection with Hansen is a non-issue as this directly deals with adverse impacts on the residents of these two buildings, which are similar to overall neighborhood issues. Frankly, those residents probably view homeless tents outside their doors as a bigger problem right now than having 18,000 people down there on game nights.

Also consider the source of this article too and you can see why people may not really pay much attention to it.

On my news item above FYI Mayor Durkan is supposed to have some sort of statement about that on Monday.

I understand your feeling and comments here, snovalley, but as someone who often went to Red Wings games in downtown Detroit, this seems kind of light. We knew to get out right away and not go more than a block away from the old Joe Louis Arena! I think New Jersey and Chicago (to some extent) also have facilities in the not-so-good parts of town.

Fair, and that's probably what most fans will end up doing anyways I think I've made that point here before, too. The point of this story as it pertains to us is this is unfortunately an issue that I think Oak View's going to have to deal with if this thing is going to work the way it wants it to in terms of bringing in people to games especially on weeknights. The city is going to have to deal with this one way or the other and it's not going to be able to do it the way they - and their friends in the activist community - want to because the public is damn tired of it. This incident by the way was at least the third alleged high-profile crime committed by one of these homeless folks - the second in just the past couple of months (both of the others were sexual assaults on women in public restrooms), so people are getting extremely pissed about it because it is starting to seriously impact public safety in the city's neighborhoods.

Reactions: nwhockeyfan

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
No lawsuit yet, but apartment building owners’ challenge could delay KeyArena renovation

Interesting article that 'may' have an impact on EIS and possible Hansen connection to challenge.

I don't expect this to be much of an issue. Seems that the challenge revolves around other sites not being looked at as part of the current EIS process Seems that subject has been beat up and plenty of studies have been done.

If he sues its game over for him forever, SCC won't give him street vacation and NBA won't give him a NBA team.

Also Sodo arena didn't look at other sites either.

Feb 7, 2012
Seattle
Great Hire, and shows to everyone, how serious this group is. I'm guessing Tippett and Leiweke will both have a big hand in selecting who the GM is.

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
One name I would like to be considered for GM would be Ron Francis I am sure there are others but he is an competitive guy with a high hockey IQ coming off a ownership change in Carolina where he may have got short end of the stick

McCoy

Jun 11, 2018

Power of love news then it is with Statsny and Bouwmeester sign explusive 5 and 3 years contract.

Great Hire, and shows to everyone, how serious this group is. I'm guessing Tippett and Leiweke will both have a big hand in selecting who the GM is.

Tippett as known wealthy.

I'm guessing Kelly McCrimmon might get a long hard look as well.

As knowledge.

McCoy

Jun 11, 2018
NHLSeattle

for the live press conferene

Corvi, Switzerland
Statsny, USA
Bouwmeester, Canada
Gusev, Russia
Hiller, Switzerland
Pintaric, Slovenia
Sanguinetti, USA
Larsson, Sweden
Goc, Germany

We pickup 5 or 7 players from Blues.

Total message to NHL with 25 players.

Of those it is 15 from Canada 4 from USA.

Last edited:

GuelphStormer

Mar 20, 2012
Guelph, ON

on the surface, it seems odd that the city is classifying this renovation as a private project.

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
on the surface, it seems odd that the city is classifying this renovation as a private project.

It does but then this whole process since Hansen came along has been nothing but odd. In this particular case with Key being a city owned property being privately developed that the city leaders are anxious to see a big part of city center, I imagine it being labeled as a private project is no big deal. Especially if they want it fast tracked. The 100% private financing of the renovation gives them some wiggle room.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

Fugu this sounds more like Olympia than JLA. Not saying if you went absolutely the wrong way you might do something wrong, but the riverfront area wasn't that dangerous.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
Fugu this sounds more like Olympia than JLA. Not saying if you went absolutely the wrong way you might do something wrong, but the riverfront area wasn't that dangerous.

If you're a local. I wouldn't recommend that out of town visitors wander too far off though. I would go to downtown Seattle for all sorts of things, but I would never go to Detroit to shop/eat/sightsee, etc. :dunno:

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
If you're a local. I wouldn't recommend that out of town visitors wander too far off though. I would go to downtown Seattle for all sorts of things, but I would never go to Detroit to shop/eat/sightsee, etc. :dunno:

Its starting to get pretty bad in seattle due to the homeless problem. One company was gonna have a convention in seattle and decided against it after seeing the whole mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad