NHL to Seattle Volume XV - Moving the Expansion Needle [Upd: 9/24 Arena Reno. Unanimously Approved]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
When people speak hyperbole about something like traffic the only way is to take video and show it.

Ya, and highly amusing. I hit play... sitting here watching frickin traffic for a couple minutes... see its 8 minutes in length... ask myself "why?.... Why am I sitting here watching traffic on the I-5 running through Seattle?... Do I really need to watch all 8 minutes?... Whats wrong with me, with this picture?"... :laugh:

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Ya, and highly amusing. I hit play... sitting here watching frickin traffic for a couple minutes... see its 8 minutes in length... ask myself "why?.... Why am I sitting here watching traffic on the I-5 running through Seattle?... Do I really need to watch all 8 minutes?... Whats wrong with me, with this picture?"... :laugh:

at least its just video and you're not experiencing it first hand.

Reactions: Killion

tank44

Feb 1, 2012
Seattle, WA
The video is not showing traffic on I5. It's showing traffic from I5 to the Key Arena, which is to take <10 mins. Does not factor in I5 traffic to get from Lynnwood or Renton or Bellevue to get to that Mercer Street exit.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
The video is not showing traffic on I5. It's showing traffic from I5 to the Key Arena, which is to take <10 mins. Does not factor in I5 traffic to get from Lynnwood or Renton or Bellevue to get to that Mercer Street exit.

Its a Evironmental review. Anything outside Seattle center is outside of the scope of the review. Anything outside the region of Seattle center is 100% irrelevant.

You can't study i-5 traffic or traffic from Lynnwood or Renton or Bellevue and determine if its a good idea. That is outside of the scope of the review thus again irrelvant. Its all about any impacts in the Seattle Center Region not I-5 not Renton not Lynnwood.

The video is perfectly relevant to the results of the DEIS review statement.

tank44

Feb 1, 2012
Seattle, WA
Its a Evironmental review. Anything outside Seattle center is outside of the scope of the review. Anything outside the region of Seattle center is 100% irrelevant.

You can't study i-5 traffic or traffic from Lynnwood or Renton or Bellevue and determine if its a good idea. That is outside of the scope of the review thus again irrelvant. Its all about any impacts in the Seattle Center Region not I-5 not Renton not Lynnwood.

The video is perfectly relevant to the results of the DEIS review statement.
Yes but the quote I replied to said it was about watching a video for traffic sitting on I5. The video proves getting to the stadium from the freeway isn't really that much of an issue and agree what the point of the EIS note is about.

Feb 7, 2012
Seattle
^^^ My God. I thought the Plane Spotter Brigade out of Quebec a few years ago was pretty hysterical... following the movements of the NHL's "time-shared" corporate jet which is based in Teterboro NJ... checking flights between MTL, QC, PHX, SEA etc.... but now this?!... "I-5 Traffic Watchers"?..... Do you know how crazy this looks, is? :laugh::laugh::laugh:

It needed to be shared to stamp out the hyperbole from everyone that thinks all traffic around Key Arena is horrible st all times.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012

CD5 is saying everything is on track for the master use permit to be issued for OVG around the same time as the September BOG meeting.

Reactions: nwhockeyfan

snovalleyhockeyfan

I'm just the messenger.....
May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA

They're chatting now. Daniels' Twitter a good source of info if you want it. Eight of nine members on the council in attendance - Daniels reporting Herbold is the only one not there.

More:

snovalleyhockeyfan

May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA
The following below showed up in my email this morning from the NHL/Seattle folks. Guessing those of you who are also on that list received this. It's a message from Tod Leiweke.

In the quoted text below, this is what he wrote.

Dear NHL Fan,

I watched with great interest when season tickets for NHL Seattle went on sale on March 1st. I was not surprised when fans hit the 10,000 deposit milestone in just 12 minutes and in fact, I beamed with pride.

Recently, I accepted the challenge of leading the effort to bring NHL expansion to our region. It is the opportunity of a lifetime to work with owners David Bonderman and Jerry Bruckheimer trying to bring the great sport of hockey to Seattle.

This is a homecoming for my family. During our time in Seattle with the Seahawks and Sounders FC, we were able to form deep roots in the community and build many wonderful and lasting relationships. It is an honor to return to Seattle and build from scratch an organization that will mirror the unique values of our region and respect the traditions of the game.

I played hockey growing up and continued to skate in the adult leagues when I lived in Seattle. The game continues to grow and gain popularity locally, across North America, and internationally. The NHL is a league on the rise, with speed and grace and with players from around the world. The vibe of the NHL would be a fantastic fit for Seattle and connect us to US and Canadian cities, including a potential great rivalry with the Vancouver Canucks.

We are excited to work with Oak View Group to develop a new arena that will embrace Seattle’s sensibilities in preservation and be world class in all of its offerings and events.

You’ll be hearing from me often as we present our final case for expansion to the NHL. If we are fortunate to be awarded a club, shortly thereafter we will begin the process to engage you in each step of building it. I pledge to you a club that serves and makes our community better while pursuing the ultimate goal of bringing a Stanley Cup back to Seattle.

Sincerely,

Tod Leiweke, CEO
NHL Seattle

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012

hmmm I wonder who's that open slot for in the pacific division.

My thought is Seattle acquires Idaho Steelheads as their affiliates and promotes them to AHL.

AHL could use a team in the pacific northwest.

Last edited:

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Who is supposed to move to the central division when Seattle joins?

Essentially, there are probably only two options (barring a relocation):

1) Coyotes. Single team and there's a big Chicago diaspora down there, but their proximity to the California teams and now Vegas has always seemingly been in their favor, not to mention the time zone factor come playoff time.

2) Oilers and Flames, with the Avs moving back to the Pacific. All three teams would likely be opposed, so that'd be a tough one to sell, though it really only matters what everybody else in the league thinks as their three votes aren't enough to block it if the NHL really wanted it.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Essentially, there are probably only two options (barring a relocation):

1) Coyotes. Single team and there's a big Chicago diaspora down there, but their proximity to the California teams and now Vegas has always seemingly been in their favor, not to mention the time zone factor come playoff time.

2) Oilers and Flames, with the Avs moving back to the Pacific. All three teams would likely be opposed, so that'd be a tough one to sell, though it really only matters what everybody else in the league thinks as their three votes aren't enough to block it if the NHL really wanted it.

Issue is Colorado is more central than the alberta teams plus it causes more travel time for the alberta teams. Plus if coyotes have to relocate to houston for example you are basically have to realign the western conference again why create an issue when non exists.

Note NHL didn't force Detroit or Columbus back just to create a space for quebec so i doubt they'll make the alberta teams move to central division. The point of this alignment is to reduce travel costs not increase it.

snovalleyhockeyfan

May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA
I think the argument though to do the CGY/EDM-COL switch would be that you could promote Flames/Oilers rivalry with WPG, and COL, while there would be travel across a time zone for all their road games, Denver anymore is so hooked into LA and SF in a lot of ways that the travel really isn't that big a deal. 8:00 MT starts for road games are nothing. You have to remember, the Rockies are divisional rivals in baseball with SF and LA and the same can be said for the Broncos in football as well. And the Colorado Buffaloes are in the Pac-12....with schools from SF and LA.

With respect to the AHL thing, guess here is that it would be the Steeleheads. Thing is, though, would their existing arena in Boise be AHL-compliant or would they have to move it out to the arena in Nampa?

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
With respect to the AHL thing, guess here is that it would be the Steeleheads. Thing is, though, would their existing arena in Boise be AHL-compliant or would they have to move it out to the arena in Nampa?

That arena in Boise only seats 5500 or so, app 40 corporate suites whereas the Ford Idaho Center has a capacity of app 10,500, so double, and I'd think that would be more attractive to the AHL. 5500 good for the ECHL, but thats definitely sub-par for the AHL.

GoBoltz56

Brisebois 1st Rounder
Jul 31, 2004
Tampa and Michigan
That arena in Boise only seats 5500 or so, app 40 corporate suites whereas the Ford Idaho Center has a capacity of app 10,500, so double, and I'd think that would be more attractive to the AHL. 5500 good for the ECHL, but thats definitely sub-par for the AHL.

It would be right in the middle of the pack actually:
AHL 2017-18 team attendance at hockeydb.com

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
It would be right in the middle of the pack actually:
AHL 2017-18 team attendance at hockeydb.com

Yeah, thanks for the link on that, I am aware of general attendance numbers & that about half the League does average less than 5K per game however, I'm not sure what the AHL's requirements might be in terms of minimum capacities. My thinking, and correct me if I'm wrong in thinking 5500 sub-standard... but what their minimums might be? Would 5500 be acceptable? Doing a quick check, the smallest capacities I can find are in the 7000 seater range, Ricoh Coliseum in Toronto, Tucson etc. Most of them 9200++. right up to 16K+.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad