NHL to Seattle Volume XV - Moving the Expansion Needle [Upd: 9/24 Arena Reno. Unanimously Approved]

Status
Not open for further replies.

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
I preferred the PILOTS. A nod to the 1960s baseball team.

I just don't want the Kraken, no squid please

The Pilots is definitely my first choice! Nothing like taking a perceived (not sure by who) failed team name and making it a positive for the region.

Last edited:

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
Seattle Jets is what you want but we know that can't happen. The obvious solution here is to take a cue from Vegas and name them them the Seattle Golden Jets.

I personally would have liked Seattle Bombers since it's historic but that wouldn't fly in these politically correct times.

I guess since the Jets name is already taken, Seattle could opt for Golden Seals as that name is no longer in use. Back when the Thrashers relocated to Winnipeg and there was some debate about what to name the team, some people suggested 'Golden Jets' as a tribute to Bobby Hull (known as the Golden Jet) signing with the original Winnipeg Jets. I'm sure Seattle will come up with a good name for the new NHL team.

tp_TmWinJets7679_02.jpg

:jets

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Moreso once again for informational purposes only, and at this point OT, but the Hansen team has posted something new on their website once again touting their request for street vacation for their arena plan.....

Same Street, Better Benefits - Sonics Arena

As one of the SR folks said better benefits than what? The game has changed and hansen has yet adapted to the changes on how the game (political) has changed.

Sodo arena that is a team first than built will never provide better benefits than a arena plan that is being built on spec with a team (NHL) already secured by the time construction starts.

So the benifts are now Sodo arena better location better transportation better parking and nothing more vs Key arena location that has the $$$ and a NHL team with the NHL group wanting to be part of the NBA group.

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
Chris Hansen will always be relevant for one reason and is currently relevant for another:

(1) How NOT to cozy up to a league

(2) Until SoDo is completely laid to rest, there is the microscopically slim possibility he could find a new sucker to make the NBA arrangement you're not expecting, creating that two-arena dynamic none of the Seattle posters want to see (but allowing this Portland poster a bit more popcorn time).

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Chris Hansen will always be relevant for one reason and is currently relevant for another:

(1) How NOT to cozy up to a league

(2) Until SoDo is completely laid to rest, there is the microscopically slim possibility he could find a new sucker to make the NBA arrangement you're not expecting, creating that two-arena dynamic none of the Seattle posters want to see (but allowing this Portland poster a bit more popcorn time).

Its more of how not to cozy up to politicians. Seattle won't be a two-arena town. Cause the NBA isn't going to grant the franchise to an outsider like hansen that has no arena built at all.

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Given we have the Mariners and Seahawks already in Seattle I think Seattle's hockey team will get a sea-related name, probably the Sea Lions.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Looking at the document. It does give us some ideas on construction

alternative 1 (OVG perfered) is 24 months construction with a 6 month demotion and excavation period. alternate 2 is 30 month construction with a year period for demotion and excavation period (no night time work)

Note this is approximate. The time it takes can vary on how long things take.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Oh another thing i noted from the document NHL capacity is now 17500 up from 17100.

Pittsburgh does this (woonerf) with the Pirates by closing an adjacent bridge near PNC Park (Roberto Clemente Bridge) to foot traffic on game days. It is very popular

it'll be interesting if the city would approve it since its separate from the rest of the arena.

Reactions: nwhockeyfan

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
Looking at the document. It does give us some ideas on construction

alternative 1 (OVG perfered) is 24 months construction with a 6 month demotion and excavation period. alternate 2 is 30 month construction with a year period for demotion and excavation period (no night time work)

Note this is approximate. The time it takes can vary on how long things take.

So its 24 month construction + 6 month demo or 24 including the 6? If its 24 + 6 how would the 2020 time frame work?

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
So its 24 month construction + 6 month demo or 24 including the 6? If its 24 + 6 how would the 2020 time frame work?

The preferred option is a 24 month construction including the 6 month demolish. alternation 2 would be 30 months construction with an year of demo. Alternate 2 would push the NHL season from 20-21 to 21-22. Again this is approximate. We won't know for sure until demo and the digging is done to know when exactly the arena will be done and open.

Now how are they gonna finish it on time. 7 day work schedules.

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
The preferred option is a 24 month construction including the 6 month demolish. alternation 2 would be 30 months construction with an year of demo. Alternate 2 would push the NHL season from 20-21 to 21-22. Again this is approximate. We won't know for sure until demo and the digging is done to know when exactly the arena will be done and open.

Now how are they gonna finish it on time. 7 day work schedules.

So do I have it right that Option 1 includes lots and lots of overtime and overnight work. And Option 2 omits some of that? If so, Option 1 would have higher labor costs, correct?

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
So do I have it right that Option 1 includes lots and lots of overtime and overnight work. And Option 2 omits some of that? If so, Option 1 would have higher labor costs, correct?

it would be about the same cost wise. option 1 = noise at night but done sooner option 2 no night work thus takes longer to get the demo digging done.

Again until demo/digging is starts we won't know for sure how long that process will take.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
New Study shows it takes 10 minutes in Rush Hour to get to I5 to Key Arena. I know the hyperbole out there is insane. But I have seen videographic evidence that it takes about this amount of time, even on an event night.

Study claims commute from I-5 to KeyArena during rush hour will take less than 10 minutes

People that aren't happy with the arena going there are ignoring that most of the traffic mess around 5 6 7pm is going away from Seattle center not going to. So the idea that its going to be a mess regardless of which direction during rush hour is ridiculous.

Its not like game time in 8am in the morning.

here's video from I-5 to Seattle center that NHL to Seattle John Barr took last year during a key arena event.

Last edited:
Reactions: Killion

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
^^^ My God. I thought the Plane Spotter Brigade out of Quebec a few years ago was pretty hysterical... following the movements of the NHL's "time-shared" corporate jet which is based in Teterboro NJ... checking flights between MTL, QC, PHX, SEA etc.... but now this?!... "I-5 Traffic Watchers"?..... Do you know how crazy this looks, is? :laugh::laugh::laugh:

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
^^^ My God. I thought the Plane Spotter Brigade out of Quebec a few years ago was pretty hysterical... following the movements of the NHL's "time-shared" corporate jet which is based in Teterboro NJ... checking flights between MTL, QC, PHX, SEA etc.... but now this?!... "I-5 Traffic Watchers"?..... Do you know how crazy this looks, is? :laugh::laugh::laugh:

The same thing happened on occidental disproving the port of Seattle claims but it didn't matter in the end. Either way there will be increased traffic during sport events. There always is but its won't be mass gridlock rush hour traffic going into Seattle center as what people claim.

When people speak hyperbole about something like traffic the only way is to take video and show it.

Reactions: Killion
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad