NHL to Seattle Volume XIII - UPDATE 12/7 NHL will accept Seattle application - Expansion fee $650 M

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoldiersOfFilth

Hamildone with Neely
Dec 28, 2013
Near Olympia
I like kraken, but I think Totems might be the choice. Also like steelhead sockeye or Seawolves
Seawolves is already the name of Seattle's new Major League Rugby team

logo.png

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
For someone who hasn't been following this thread, but fully endorses a team in Seattle, who is/are the NHL group wanting to bring an expansion team to Seattle?

EASILY A. Metropolitans already has deep history, was the first American team to win Stanley Cup, is quite original, and quite classy.

Then I guess NHL would have to rename Metropolitan Division:laugh:

Reactions: Sparty

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Per John Shannon Twitter

If expansion is the answer in Seattle...we are going to start hearing the names of David Bonderman and Jerry Bruckheimer, a lot!
By the way, this is not an overnight resolution. Expansion will take time....like 4 years.

4 years? Its not going to take 4 years for a seattle team to actually start playing. Its not going to take 2 years till they announce it another 2 years for team to begin playing.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
If a team were to be available to relocate in Seattle, where would it play while the Key Arena is being renovated (oct. 2020)?

There is nowhere to play AllezlesBleus. So if a team has to move to move between now & lets say 2021... Seattle cant accommodate them... not unless they go play in Portland or Vancouver on a temporary basis & I cant see the NHL (or the Canucks) permitting that.

the4thlinegrinder

Jul 25, 2011
The Bench
Seawolves is already the name of Seattle's new Major League Rugby team

logo.png
That kinda looks like the logo of the NHL team just up the road a few hundred clicks, no? As for the name, Metropolitans is historic and classy. That would be my first choice. Metros for short.

As someone who has been following this story from a distance, I assumed that Key Arena was waaay out of the city centre. Like, out in the burbs. But after googling the location I see its only about 4 miles from Safeco Field and is in fact a stone's throw from the Space Needle. As I am clearly unfamiliar with Seattle, could someone please explain the location issue to me? Thank-you.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
That kinda looks like the logo of the NHL team just up the road a few hundred clicks, no? As for the name, Metropolitans is historic and classy. That would be my first choice. Metros for short.

As someone who has been following this story from a distance, I assumed that Key Arena was waaay out of the city centre. Like, out in the burbs. But after googling the location I see its only about 4 miles from Safeco Field and is in fact a stone's throw from the Space Needle. As I am clearly unfamiliar with Seattle, could someone please explain the location issue to me? Thank-you.

Key arena is basically downtown Seattle. People are making a big deal of traffic and parking. Traffic isn't as bad as people claim. In fact SDOT made improvement to the traffic times and its actually down at mercer street.

Reactions: the4thlinegrinder

the4thlinegrinder

Jul 25, 2011
The Bench
Key arena is basically downtown Seattle. People are making a big deal of traffic and parking. Traffic isn't as bad as people claim. In fact SDOT made improvement to the traffic times and its actually down at mercer street.
I see. So the location of Key Arena is not an issue then?

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I see. So the location of Key Arena is not an issue then?

Traffic getting out of key arena was just as bad back when we had the NBA. So suddenly people are objecting to it when they were traveling to see the sonics play before they left dealing with that traffic. SDOT made some adjustments on the traffic light timings so time between Seattle center and I-5 are down by quite a bit. 5pm 6pm 7pm times its down 10mins i believe i read that peak traffic times is down by half thanks to the adjustments to the traffic lights.

Reactions: the4thlinegrinder

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
4 years? Its not going to take 4 years for a seattle team to actually start playing. Its not going to take 2 years till they announce it another 2 years for team to begin playing.

What's the schedule on Key renovations now that's it has been approved ?

If the renos start in January 2018 (I doubt it) it will give them 2 years and 9 months to make the building ready for 20-21 season opener. Is that enough, more than or not enough ?

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
Traffic getting out of key arena was just as bad back when we had the NBA. So suddenly people are objecting to it when they were traveling to see the sonics play before they left dealing with that traffic. SDOT made some adjustments on the traffic light timings so time between Seattle center and I-5 are down by quite a bit. 5pm 6pm 7pm times its down 10mins i believe i read that peak traffic times is down by half thanks to the adjustments to the traffic lights.

Did those studies include event nights? Come on Tommy. Down by half?? I live it and travel it. That is BS.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Very good first news. Hope something comes from it.

And to look way in the future, I hope that they're able to get the rights to the WHL Thunderbirds moniker. That'd just be an awesome and unique name in major pro sports (OKC aside for the first two syllables). Let's go, birds? Seattle Orcas would be a solid one as well, albeit that'd be impossible given the Nucks logo.

Reactions: nwhockeyfan

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
What's the schedule on Key renovations now that's it has been approved ?

If the renos start in January 2018 (I doubt it) it will give them 2 years and 9 months to make the building ready for 20-21 season opener. Is that enough, more than or not enough ?

There iis some evironmental review to be done, the transaction document to be written and signed if that goes well then construction is oct 2018.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
This'll be good for people from Vancouver. Will give them all the more reason to make trips down there.

Plus, I'm sure we could develop a real nice rivalry.

This is great news.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I would imagine the primary goal of the group is to obtain an NBA team. Sounders are also doing really well, getting the largest crowds before Atlanta this season. Be interesting to see how it will all shake down between the Seahawks, Mariners, Sounders, Sonics (assuming NBA returns), and whatever the NHL team is called. Plus, there is Washington Huskies which is right in the city as well, so Saturday afternoons in the fall will be about the Huskies football team.

Blade Paradigm

Oct 21, 2017

And to look way in the future, I hope that they're able to get the rights to the WHL Thunderbirds moniker. That'd just be an awesome and unique name in major pro sports (OKC aside for the first two syllables). Let's go, birds? Seattle Orcas would be a solid one as well, albeit that'd be impossible given the Nucks logo.
Seattle Totems are the historical rival of the Vancouver Canucks in the pro-level Western Hockey League.

s-l1000.jpg

Numerous attempts were made over the years to bring the Totems to the NHL.

Maybe now is the time.

5:15 - the 1967 WHL Finals, Seattle Totems vs Vancouver Canucks:

6667team.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Oilers Propagandist

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio

I would love the Thunderbirds as well. Another Seattle historical moniker I would really like, albeit originally baseball, would be the Seattle Pilots.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad