NHL to Get Rid of Emergency Backups?

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
The David Ayres game was one of the coolest sporting moments ever, why would they take away the chance of that happening again? EBUG system really is not an issue at all, it's incredibly rare that they need to come in and to my knowledge has never happened in a playoff game so the worst case for a team is they lose a regular season game... big whoop.
It was a cool moment, because Carolina won that game. What if it had gone the other way, and a team is losing out on a playoff spot because they have to put in an EBUG who let's in 5 goals on 6 shots?

This is the best hockey league in the world, and that would look bushleague.

Reactions: Voight

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
The funny thing is EBUGs are rarely used. NHL acts like this is something that happens frequently.

It was a cool moment, because Carolina won that game. What if it had gone the other way, and a team is losing out on a playoff spot because they have to put in an EBUG who let's in 5 goals on 6 shots?

That is the issue at hand I believe.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
The solution is to require all teams have a 3rd stringer at all times that doesn't take up a roster slot or cap space and they can suit up and replace an injured goalie tandem any game. Good position for older vets who want to stick around the league.

The only problem with that is guys like Petersen and Campbell would immediately be designated as the 3rd string goalie to get their cap off the books. I don’t actually hate the idea though. You could make it a 24 man roster with 3 goalies as the minimum, and raise the cap by an extra million. Then you can either sign a vet to under a million or carry a young goalie on an ELC

Section 104

Sep 12, 2021
Sounds like a solution in search of a problem. What do they want? Repeat the 1928 Stanley Cup final game when the Rangers had to put coach Lester Patrick in goal? Deputize the trainer which is how I think Pittsburgh Penguin goalie Les Brinkley got started in the minors?

If you want to amend it so a former goalie like Craig Anderson or Ryan Miller can be an EBUG, okay. But it doesn’t hurt to have some charm as these guys right now do play amateurly and we all have a Walter Mitty or Joe Hardy in us.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
If they allow teams to carry 3 goaltenders, then the cap needs to be increased accordingly.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
The only problem with that is guys like Petersen and Campbell would immediately be designated as the 3rd string goalie to get their cap off the books. I don’t actually hate the idea though. You could make it a 24 man roster with 3 goalies as the minimum, and raise the cap by an extra million. Then you can either sign a vet to under a million or carry a young goalie on an ELC
They could easily put a cap on exempt salary like they do for buried salary in the AHL.

So the first $1.15M, or more if they want, of a 3rd goalie is exempt. Anything above that counts toward the cap.

Reactions: Tryamw and The Nuge

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY

Of a list of Bush League things about the NHL EBUGS wouldn't even crack the top 10,000.

Reactions: viceroy

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish

Probably say, well that’s bad luck when both goalies get hurt in one game. You can’t control everything.

What will happen when inevitably all 3 goalies go down? It will happen at some point. Does that team have to play with an empty net?

Such a stupid thing to pay this much attention to. It happens so rarely. When it does, it’s a cool story that gets National media attention.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016

Tough titties?

Has it ever actually happened?

banks

Only got 5/16
Aug 29, 2019

And then that goalie never gets to play?

You can't reasonably have 3 goalies on the NHL roster long-term. No team wants to be giving regular NHL starts to their 3rd stringer, so they'd never play. And no goalie would be happy to go months without getting in a game.

Reactions: MoreDifferentS

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
So what's the solution?

Carry 3 goalies... well, most backups don't like being the backup, now you add another goalie in the mix that the team has to pay and keep on the roster? Maybe some guys wouldn't mind getting paid knowing they will never play, and then, what do you pay them? If they are good enough to actually play in the net, they will want enough money to live off of, or they will just find some other place to go.

No NHL caliber young guy is going to take $500 per game or even league minimum to sit as the 3rd goalie, while throwing away a chance to play somewhere or anywhere else, and actually play. So then you get what... a bunch of washed up ex-pros in thier 40s? I guess they would do it for a few bucks.

Last edited:

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
And then that goalie never gets to play?

You can't reasonably have 3 goalies on the NHL roster long-term. No team wants to be giving regular NHL starts to their 3rd stringer, so they'd never play. And no goalie would be happy to go months without getting in a game.

I don’t know. Looking at AHL rosters, nearly every team has a goalie who would probably rather be in the NHL getting ~5 games a year instead of riding the bus in the AHL. Guys like Louis Domingue and Malcolm Subban.

It even has benefits for young goalies. For examples, a guy like Olivier Rodrigue who is among the AHL SV% leaders but has never played an NHL game and is losing waiver exemption next year. It would benefit him to get a game or two this year because if he performs well, a team might take a chance on him if he hits waivers next year.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
So what's the solution?

Carry 3 goalies... well, most backups don't like being the backup, now you add another goalie in the mix that the team has to pay and keep on the roster? Maybe some guys wouldn't mind getting paid knowing they will never play, and then, what do you pay them? If they are good enough to actually play in the net, they will want enough money to live off of, or they will just find some other place to go.

No NHL caliber young guy is going to take $500 per game or even league minimum to sit as the 3rd goalie, while throwing away a chance to play somewhere or anywhere else, and actually play. So then you get what... a bunch of washed up ex-pros in thier 40s? I guess they would do it for a few bucks.

I can almost guarantee a guy like Michael Dipietro who is on a 2 way deal and making 80k would rather be a third stringer making his 775k NHL salary. There’s even things like nicer amenities, travel, per diem, etc

sonic92

Mar 5, 2020
Peace River, AB
This is only a weird quirk that can happen in the regular season.

You're never going to see this in the playoffs (or god for bid the finals) because most teams will have their minor league goalies called up on their roster.

This should really be a non-issue. If the David Ayers thing happened against the Coyotes or the Blue Jackets or really any team not named the Leafs, this doesn't even become a story in the first place.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
EBUGs are always some of the coolest stories when they happen.... it's like the human interest stories of the NHL.

GMs: EBUGs humanize us, we must eliminate them.

Glad someone said it. This is just like so dehumanizing to the game.

The game doesn't need to be this static machine. It can have some humanity and charm to it. Baseball used to understand that.

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
Per the video, GM's are asking about having access to professional goalies (i.e. AHL, ECHL) instead of randoms. This would then become a CBA issue and how it would impact the cap situation.

Reactions: theVladiator

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County

I dunno - you have MLB position players coming into games pitching under certain circumstances .. NFL kickers get hurt mid-game and have to deal with it

These unique circumstances happen in sports, I don't think they need to make a mountain out of molehill here.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I’m guessing it has to do with making the NHL look like a Mickey Mouse league when you pick up guys off the street and have them playing in NHL games. I don’t know what the alternative would be tho because you’re screwed without a goalie and it’s such a specialized position.
There is a difference between having 2 healthy goalies get injured in a game vs going into the game with only 1 healthy goalie.

For some teams, there is no excuse when at home and the A club is within 2 hours of the NHL team. If someone got hurt in the morning skate, you have to get someone up for the A club. But, not every NHL is close to their farm team. Edm, STL, TB, Sea are not for example. And when on the road, really not much chance that you will be close to the A club.

MLB - run out of pitchers, have position players go in and just throw 80 something mph fastballs.
NBA - run out of any position, either go big or small. Hard for big men to dribble the ball out but that's life
NFL - no QB, like we saw SF in the Champ game vs PHI, pretty much just running the football
MLS/Soccer - not that hard to replace the G with someone, as there are way fewer shots on net in soccer than hockey.

NHL - no goalie, hard as there is the extra equipment which is custom for the goalie. And, I doubt skaters are as flexible as their goalies, so potential groin injuries to them if they are asked to go in net. Can't play 6 skaters for more than a couple of minutes to close out a game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad