NHL to Get Rid of Emergency Backups?

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
I don't understand what the problem or goal is

Of all the things to worry about or improve on in the league, this shouldn't even be being talked about
I’m guessing it has to do with making the NHL look like a Mickey Mouse league when you pick up guys off the street and have them playing in NHL games. I don’t know what the alternative would be tho because you’re screwed without a goalie and it’s such a specialized position.

banks

Only got 5/16
Aug 29, 2019
EBUG goalies have played so rarely. How can this even be a topic worth GMs talking about?

And, may I add, when an EBUG actually has played its always resulted in great stories and PR for the league. Ayres was a brief phenomenon, he was on late shows like Colbert.

What alternative is better than this? Having a skater strap on the pads? They be risking injury because they don't always make those motions. Disaster.

Last edited:

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Just allow (or require) teams to carry 3 goalies? And the third can sort of count as a "practice squad" type player like during COVID, like he doesn't count against the cap and he's technically assigned to the AHL.

Reactions: JMCx4

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
It is a bit funny that EBUG is still a thing in 2024. But I also don’t see it as something that needs correcting. Teams shouldn’t need to carry 3 goalies around as one of them would almost never see the ice.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
The David Ayres game was one of the coolest sporting moments ever, why would they take away the chance of that happening again? EBUG system really is not an issue at all, it's incredibly rare that they need to come in and to my knowledge has never happened in a playoff game so the worst case for a team is they lose a regular season game... big whoop.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I'm wondering if there's some insurance issue driving this decision?
If I'm recalling correctly, emergency backup goalies are required to have never played professionally, so the only way I can see them improving upon the current rules is getting rid of that requirement.
I thought I recall Dwayne Roloson being an EBUG at some point? Didn't play but I thought I recall that - but could be

ponder719

Haute Couturier
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
If I'm recalling correctly, emergency backup goalies are required to have never played professionally, so the only way I can see them improving upon the current rules is getting rid of that requirement.
My recollection is that they only have to not have another current contractual obligation; I remember Arturs Irbe dressing as an EBUG at one point while he was a goalie coach in Buffalo, though they might have adjusted the rules since that happened.

Reactions: Summer Rose

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
I’m guessing it has to do with making the NHL look like a Mickey Mouse league when you pick up guys off the street and have them playing in NHL games. I don’t know what the alternative would be tho because you’re screwed without a goalie and it’s such a specialized position.

It’s probably this, which would be very NHL of them. No one gives a shit about professionalism, they want stories and fun. David Ayers hit different parts of mainstream news that MacDavid doesn’t get coverage on, and it was all positivity.

The reffing, the goonery, the nonsense rules, that’s the unprofessionalism that turns people off because it’s not f***ing fun. Fix that stuff first.

Reactions: Jeremy2020

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014

It's really no worse than Position Players having to pitch in MLB, non-kickers having to kick in NFL etc.

It just seems so far down the list of things to worry about

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
Good, EBUGs were ruining the game, Hockey needs more spreads and odds not EBUGs

Reactions: JMCx4

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
The solution is to require all teams have a 3rd stringer at all times that doesn't take up a roster slot or cap space and they can suit up and replace an injured goalie tandem any game. Good position for older vets who want to stick around the league.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
It's not like the EBUGS are random guys pulled off the couch and never strapped on the pads before. These guys have all played their entire lives at a high level. My friend was an EBUG for a few years and got to randomly practice with the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $365.00