NHL to Get Rid of Emergency Backups?

PositiveCashFlow

Snowmen fall to earth unassembled
Jul 10, 2007
CFL (and I assume NFL?) has three quarterbacks on a game day roster. Makes sense for the NHL. Goalie 3 could be an AHL call up or aging vet

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, OK Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I don't care either way about EBUGs since it seems to be a non-issue. I think NHL allowing an additional roster spot solely for a 3rd goalie would be good for practice, injury assurance, etcetera

I do find it funny how NHL fans talk out of one side of their mouth about watered talent pools and talent levels of certain players but then celebrate having an accountant come in to play (in my opinion) the most important position in sports along with NFL QB. NFL would be laughed at if some amateur came in to play QB, but it couldn't happen due to needing to know a playbook.

Sure it's a fun story every once in a while, but let's be real, it's like a Make-a-Wish type play in the pros experience.

Reactions: Ted Hoffman

klefbombs shoulder

Jul 21, 2023
So each team will carry 3 goalies presumably? I kind of like it. Will lead to some interesting 3 goalie rotations in the future.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
There is a difference between having 2 healthy goalies get injured in a game vs going into the game with only 1 healthy goalie.

For some teams, there is no excuse when at home and the A club is within 2 hours of the NHL team. If someone got hurt in the morning skate, you have to get someone up for the A club. But, not every NHL is close to their farm team. Edm, STL, TB, Sea are not for example. And when on the road, really not much chance that you will be close to the A club.

MLB - run out of pitchers, have position players go in and just throw 80 something mph fastballs.
NBA - run out of any position, either go big or small. Hard for big men to dribble the ball out but that's life
NFL - no QB, like we saw SF in the Champ game vs PHI, pretty much just running the football
MLS/Soccer - not that hard to replace the G with someone, as there are way fewer shots on net in soccer than hockey.

NHL - no goalie, hard as there is the extra equipment which is custom for the goalie. And, I doubt skaters are as flexible as their goalies, so potential groin injuries to them if they are asked to go in net. Can't play 6 skaters for more than a couple of minutes to close out a game.
There’s no training skaters to get in-front of players shooting pucks 100 mph as a back up option. Has nothing to do with equipment. You can do this in soccer/football, not hockey, a game played on skates with hard rubber coming their way.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
It was a cool moment, because Carolina won that game. What if it had gone the other way, and a team is losing out on a playoff spot because they have to put in an EBUG who let's in 5 goals on 6 shots?

This is the best hockey league in the world, and that would look bushleague.
It’s a cool moment because some random average Joe got an opportunity to shine in meaningful playing time against the best in the world and he succeeded. If a team loses out on a playoff sport because of one EBUG game then guess what, they deserved to miss out and it sucks to suck.

TheSmokingMan

Nov 20, 2006
Maryland
I think you have to look at this from the GM's perspective. On face value, they are fixing a problem that's not really a problem, so it's probably not the emergency back-up system that they are really trying to solve. Maybe the GM's want to be able to carry an additional goalie on the roster. How many times have GM's had to scramble to get an emergency call-up because of an injury or illness? I'm sure It probably happens several times a season to most teams.

One way this makes sense is if they want every team to carry 3 goalies on their roster (2 dress, 1 scratch). You can use the scratch in an emergency situation. It would open up more development opportunities for organizations that are logjammed in the minors and give aging goalies an option to play a few more years. The NHLPA would probably be in favor of this, since it would likely require adding an additional roster spot.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
If they allow teams to carry 3 goaltenders, then the cap needs to be increased accordingly.
They could do that, but it doesn't change the 50/50 split point and just means the players get more overpaid, so they have to pay more back in escrow.

Which, if they have escrow caps on, means they probably accumulate escrow debt. [Again.]

Which, come the end of the CBA, the owners are going to hang over them like the Sword of Damocles.

They could easily put a cap on exempt salary like they do for buried salary in the AHL.

So the first $1.15M, or more if they want, of a 3rd goalie is exempt. Anything above that counts toward the cap.
Same thing as above. They'd "save" on the cap, but the players would pay it back in more escrow.

Matty Sundin

Jul 18, 2006
Make it better by having the options to sign a retired player to a “legends” contract that includes option being an emergency replacement. It be sick if guys like Cujo, Felix the cat, luongo or someone like Kevin Weekes suiting up for a game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad