NHL NHL to debut digitally enhanced dasherboards beginning next week

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

The NHL is debuting digitally enhanced dasherboards (DED) for all games this season that will "erase and replace" the advertising found on arena rink boards with virtual ads on broadcasts.

The DED system allows for the digital replacement of camera-visible arena dasherboards within local, national and international NHL game broadcasts. While overlaying other advertisements on the boards will be its primary function, the DED system eventually will allow broadcasts to use the boards for everything from in-game stats to special effects for goal celebrations.

"Every game, every night. This is the new norm," said Keith Wachtel, the NHL's chief business officer and executive vice president of global partnerships. "We don't like to call it 'erase and replace,' but that was the original terminology. It's taking something that's existing, keeping that value, but replacing it with something that's much better and isn't static."

The first time the NHL put advertisements on its boards was in 1981 with the Minnesota North Stars. A typical arena rink will have national sponsors and local advertisers. With this technology, those advertisers can be seen on the boards for a team's home and away game broadcasts.

"What this does is allow clubs to sell as many regional game broadcasts as they're able to in their market," Wachtel said. "Also, competitors come into everyone else's market. So, every time the Rangers play in Philadelphia, Chase [Bank] has to see Wells Fargo ads coming back into their very important New York market. You can now avoid that issue, if it's important to own your own market."

When the game is seen through the main center ice camera, fans will see the DED system digital dasher ads. When there are close-ups and reverse angles on broadcasts, the in-arena boards will be visible, so those in-arena advertisers will get some exposure.

"By and large, the national and local marketers have been extremely receptive," Wachtel said.

The project, at a cost of tens of millions of dollars, is seven years in the making. That's how long it took for the NHL to feel that the technology was in the right place and was scalable for the number of games teams play in a season.

The digital boards allow broadcasts to constantly change which advertisers appear. There are five different "zones" sold to sponsors: behind both nets and all three zones. Ads are sold like commercials, with brands buying 30-second increments, based on the game clock. Every game, teams have 120 increments to program. Each broadcaster and the NHL itself get 90 seconds of institutional time for their own advertisements.

Sometimes, the boards will resemble the ones traditionally seen in the arena. Other times, one advertiser will take over the boards in a particular zone or even the entire rink.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
AE81BCD8-735D-43D2-AA22-31F51C902F4D.gif

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
There’s so much shit on the screen at this point that I can barely focus on the game.

I’ll have it on as background noise half the time.
I mute the commercials, but still have to hear about Draft Kings this and One Day Fantasy that after every whistle.

Ads superimposed on the glass, ads on the ice, ads up your ass.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I have no problem with this tbqh.

The word "ads" makes everyone recoil but these aren't any more intrusive than what's already there and will in turn increase revenue in all markets, which will allow the cap to go up, etc.

Reactions: CDJ and Fenway

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
I don't care what they put on the dasherboards as long as it is static during play. After watching the video posted by Fenway I realized that the damn things change during play. I try to pick up a lot of stuff going on during the game. Last thing I need is the entire dasherboard flashing and changing ads while I am trying be attentive to multiple things going on in the game. I guess I'll reserve judgement until I see how it plays out, however I really do not want to get to the point to where I am fighting through viewing multiple ads everywhere on the TV broadcast in an attempt to see a hockey game.

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
Oh. That's not even annoying.

Maybe they can figure a way to have viewers' phones scream out ad jingles pre faceoff. Or just mug ticket holders at the entrance and steal their wallets/purses.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
On that clip it looks like they change at the end of play or at faceoffs -- kind of like the stadium music and lights. Of course the little dweebs who run that shit often act like a cheesy 1970 radio jocks and run it over the start of play (lyrics).

If they do that with these ads I fear someone will have a stroke.

You want to play music, have strobe lights, and changing ads? Fine, but be disciplined about stopping it BEFORE/AFTER play starts and ends -- not AS play starts and ends.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007

Always seems so hard to wrap my head around the fact that a League that clearly condones and perhaps even encourages "game management" allows Draft Kings and Fan Duel ads. I get it, I'm not obtuse -- or naïve. But the hutzpah they show when they ignore the terrible and sketchy optics of it all makes me think we should all say f*** the rules as well.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I wonder how they will hold up when a 6-2 200 defenseman crushes a 6-2 200 winger into the boards????

Stay tuned.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine

Fanduel has already bought into a TV Network, folks.... TVG was flipped in September to FanDuel and it's solely one sport, even if it is "The Sport of Kings" aka Thoroughbred Horse Racing.... imagine if both FanDuel and Sradtkings had been barred totally.....

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
I won't complain about this one. Rotating sponsors on fences/boards has been the norm in European and Australian sports now for the better part of a decade, so I'm used to it and it feels inevitable that it would arrive in the NHL eventually. As long as they get the tech right and the graphics used aren't too overbearing then I don't think it'll make much difference from what we're seeing on our screens now.

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
They can’t be moving during play it’s way too distracting. The casual fan already has trouble tracking the puck that would make it even worse.

If they’re still ads but rotate throughout the game then whatever but if they’re motion like in the video than it’s 10x worse than the jersey ads.

Reactions: bruins19 and BMC

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
I for one look forward to the day our corporate overlords just send adds directly in to our heads.

Hang on boss, I’m updating the cpu on my cerebellum. Just gotta watch this Ford add first.

What’s that? Go out later? No can do. Draft Kings says I’m behind on my annual adds to watch. Got a 3 hour shift of watching them tonight.

Reactions: Dreghorn2

GoBs

Nov 21, 2009
USA
I was getting motion sickness watching the play while in my peripheral vision I can see the boards flashing

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
There’s so much shit on the screen at this point that I can barely focus on the game.

I’ll have it on as background noise half the time.
I mute the commercials, but still have to hear about Draft Kings this and One Day Fantasy that after every whistle.

Ads superimposed on the glass, ads on the ice, ads up your ass.
If I hear/see that “Yumm, Casherole” girl one more time, I’m gonna lose it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad