NHL team valuations

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
No, the stuff I'm involved in is smaller by 3 or 4 orders of magnitude. No, I don't have any experience with huge deals like this, and I'm pulling this stuff out of my butt.

But the teams and the league are businesses and I'd be surprised if the usual rules of thumb for the valuation of businesses don't still apply to this. Sure, the market always sets the price; but those market actors generally have a rationally derived multiple in mind. When Musk bought Twitter I think the multiple was something like 7 or 8; even though he had motives for the purchase beyond profit, he wasn't going to pay twice that, and Twitter's shareholders wouldn't have accepted half as much as his offer.

Musk is a whole different animal, lol. Team valuation is strictly what an egomaniac billionaire wants to pay for that particular team. There's no open market for NHL teams. Keep in mind a lot of these owners paid a lot less than the numbers listed.

Do you think Ted Leonsis cares if the Caps are valued at $1B or $1.6B? He paid $85M for the team. Likewise at $1.16B, Mario's stupid rich now. The problem is, they gotta find someone with billions wanting to stoke his ego if they want to sell.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Having Favre and Rodgers go to every game might not have the same level of crowd building effect...

Those dudes never hang out in Wisconsin. They don't even like the area.

But there's one ace in the hole...

Biles2-gty-ml-231204_1701703642958_hpEmbed.jpg

And I know some of you are into wrestling and will recognize this lady.

GAZSwIYakAATMm3.jpg

This whole thing actually makes me wonder, who are the current Red Wings celebrities? I haven't really followed that and wonder if we have any trendy fans?

Reactions: DatsDeking and GMR

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Those dudes never hang out in Wisconsin. They don't even like the area.

But there's one ace in the hole...

Biles2-gty-ml-231204_1701703642958_hpEmbed.jpg

And I know some of you are into wrestling and will recognize this lady.

GAZSwIYakAATMm3.jpg

This whole thing actually makes me wonder, who are the current Red Wings celebrities? I haven't really followed that and wonder if we have any trendy fans?
Dave Coulier?
Kristen Bell?
um... Paul McCartney (it's really just a sticker)?

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Dave Coulier?
Kristen Bell?
um... Paul McCartney (it's really just a sticker)?

Yeesh. This is a pretty sad list. And you didn't even include Kid Rock which would make it even worse. The Wings need a celebrity fan revival.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad