League News: NHL Talk - (News n' Scores n' Stuff) - COVID Season Edition - Vol. 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
All in all I don't hate the Islanders. I like that they were able to move onwards and upwards after they lost JT -- they didn't feel sorry for themselves and burn it down and try to rebuild again and I give them credit for that. And they provide a lot of entertainment value with their undying hatred of Tommy Tommy Wilson. That said, I will root for them to lose strictly because this place is awful and unreadable when debating Trotz and I'd have to delete my account if he won a Cup with the Islanders.

The team I can't stand the most is the Hurricanes. Really has nothing to do with the players on the team or their fans but before we moved to DC 25+ years ago we lived outside of Hartford and my family had season tickets to the Whalers. The Whalers were my first love and the only pro sports team in Connecticut -- though you would think that UConn Hoops was a pro entity given their legion of diehard fans and the media coverage they got -- and I will forever hate Peter Karmanos (former owner) for moving the team. I mean, what kind of total asshole gets sued by his own sons? I also feel irrational rage when I see them wearing the Whalers jerseys and I wish them nothing but failure and misery for as long as they exist.

Of all our traditional rivals, I don't hate the Isles. When I started watching hockey after the 1980 Winter Olympics as a young child, they were the premiere team in the NHL. I remember watching those games and HOF players. The fans on the other hand can be really irritating including some of my close friends when it comes to Islander hockey. I chose the Caps as my team and the Islanders just happened to be there as a thorn. I can't forget the 1987 playoffs either or 93's Ferraro ticking me off.

I understand you about the Whalers/Canes. It's hard to see a team you like relocate, especially with evil ownership or stupid reasons for moving. Hartford had some good years and always seemed to get in bloody battles playing the Bruins. They had a small loyal following too. To think two of those WHL teams relocated :(.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
Who I want to see win the cup this year in order of preference:

1) Avs - Gruby and Burky going to get busted with strippers
2) Jets - The least pretentious of the Canadian teams
3) Habs - Cool story, Price steals the cup
4) Bolts - The bubble boys don't have the rat on their team
5) Brewins - they do...gross...shove spoons in my eyes
6) Canes - If coach Rod wasn't such a dbag, they would be higher
7) Nights - I'd rather drink pee for a month
8) Aisles - This board would be unreadable for at least a year. HF account terminated.

I'm not rooting for them, but it would make for entertainment. They have the structure to pull something like it off even with stacked teams. It's about the Jets for me then Avs.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

HeyMattyB

Sports bring out the worst in everyone.
Aug 20, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Ugh, I don't know if anyone else is watching on streaming TV, but every time that New Amsterdam vodka commercial with all the NHL fans comes on (which is every commercial break), my g/f is like, "Why is the Caps fan some random doofus wearing a robe and sunglasses and playing air guitar with a hockey stick? Oh wait, here he comes again! Look at him go! All Caps fans love playing air guitar while wearing their robes, right?"

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Ugh, I don't know if anyone else is watching on streaming TV, but every time that New Amsterdam vodka commercial with all the NHL fans comes on (which is every commercial break), my g/f is like, "Why is the Caps fan some random doofus wearing a robe and sunglasses and playing air guitar with a hockey stick? Oh wait, here he comes again! Look at him go! All Caps fans love playing air guitar while wearing their robes, right?"
I've mentioned more than once that that commercial is a crime against humanity. That's part of the reason. But it redeems itself by showing Isles fans when the narrator says "Or LOOOSE".

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
That's PFTCommenter, a big Caps fan who is co-host of Barstool's Pardon My Take podcast. They're partnered with New Amsterdam Vodka.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
For those not fans of Barstool Sports, compounding this atrocity of a commercial is that New Amsterdam is a big investor in/partner of BS. The Caps fan in the commercial is actually an internet personality for Barstool Sports -- he goes by "PFT Commentor" and is one of the hosts of Pardon My Take which is their flagship podcast. The Isles fan is another Barstool guy: Frankie (I think) Borelli, whose dad owns the pizza spot that the commercial is filmed in. And New Amsterdam makes a spirit called "The Pink Whitney" which is a Barstool-themed vodka.

(Nobody tell @twabby any of this.)

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
For those not fans of Barstool Sports, compounding this atrocity of a commercial is that New Amsterdam is a big investor in/partner of BS. The Caps fan in the commercial is actually an internet personality for Barstool Sports -- he goes by "PFT Commentor" and is one of the hosts of Pardon My Take which is their flagship podcast. The Isles fan is another Barstool guy: Frankie (I think) Borelli, whose dad owns the pizza spot that the commercial is filmed in. And New Amsterdam makes a spirit called "The Pink Whitney" which is a Barstool-themed vodka.

now you’ve done it…

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
That's PFTCommenter, a big Caps fan who is co-host of Barstool's Pardon My Take podcast. They're partnered with New Amsterdam Vodka.

That Barstool can reasonably referred to as BS makes this all worthwhile.

max21

NBA Yungboy
Apr 17, 2019
Virginia
Sometimes Barstool can be funny, and I like Spittin Chiclets. But then you think about how for the most part they’re older guys trying to be relevant with the younger crowd by doing podcasts with tik tokers. People love Dave Portnoy though

HandsomeTom43

May 2, 2018
Barstool sports is annoying and unlikeable, although a funny photo I had taken went viral years ago due to WVU Barstool.

Also, anyone who is rooting for the Bruins above anyone--including the Islanders--is wrong. I completely agree that is the Isles win this board would be unreadable for a year, possibly 5 years, but the Bruins are disgusting, even though I respect the hell out of Bergeron. I'm pulling for any of the Canadian teams and then the Avs/Knights. No to the Canes and no to the East outside of the Habs.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Also, anyone who is rooting for the Bruins above anyone--including the Islanders--is wrong. I completely agree that is the Isles win this board would be unreadable for a year, possibly 5 years, but the Bruins are disgusting, even though I respect the hell out of Bergeron. I'm pulling for any of the Canadian teams and then the Avs/Knights. No to the Canes and no to the East outside of the Habs.
As previously noted. I survived the Easter Epic as a 15 year old at f***ing Capital Centre. The Isles can rot.

But go Jets anyway.

Reactions: Capsdawgs78

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Carolina loses to TBay 2-1. Down 2-0 in the series.

I dislike both teams. Can’t they both lose?

Canes aren't very good, they will likely be out soon. They do have depth but their top guys aren't good enough.

Bolts not really impressing either. Vasilevski stole them a win again, but they had just 15 shots...

They'll get eaten alive by the Avalanche if they get there.

StrikingDistance

Buford T. Justice
Mar 19, 2015
DC
Barstool is trash. Its a bunch of frat boys catering to the frat boy sports fans. Trash, trash, trash.

They posted a pic of a good friend of mine on their IG page to ridicule it. She sent it to me and all I saw were bigoted frat boys spewing homophobic remarks. I wish I could sit down and have a unpleasant chat with these people in a very dark place.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Spittin’ Chiclets is a good listen — they get a lot of people from all over the hockey world to appear on the podcast — but the rest of Barstool is pretty craptastic.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Disagree. Both are excellent but edge to Miller.

personal preference with aid from being a broadcast professional. but as we know being a professional of something doesnt carry any value.

Same iconic goal.

Gord Miller

John Forslund

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
My friends used to say programs like The Sports Junkies, Bar Stool, Spittin Chiclets and the like are great because its just like us just spewing sports and stuff at a bar.

I always used to tell them, if I wanted to listen to a bunch of idiots at a bar talking about sports, I'll just do that with you idiots. Why would I want to listen to that during the day?

Reactions: g00n and Calicaps
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad