League News: NHL Talk - (News n' Scores n' Stuff) | 2023-24 Regular Season Edition

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Just saw the weird start time for Tuesday. Is that one ESPN’s trying out that Hockey redzone? That could be cool and we start it off

Im getting excited for what they can do with this. Every team in the league plays tomorrow, Games start every 15 min going all night. Big hits, Power plays Goals, and lots of goals. And we get so see every player in the league. Dont blow this NHL! Lets hope its like the NFL and no commercials

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal

Courageous leadership by ol’ Gary /s :

So what we said, instead of having that distraction and having our players have to decide whether or not they wanted to do something or not do something and be singled out, we said, 'Let's not touch that,'" Bettman told ESPN Radio's "UnSportsmanLike" in October.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Penguins being right in the basement with us is pretty funny.

Lost in all of this is the fact that Penguins are pretty much boned if they can't turn this around. Karlsson is signed until 2027 and while they were smart to put the 1st round pick conditional (top-10 protected), they also face a scenario in which they keep that top-10 pick next summer and the year after still suck and then come into the 2025 draft without their own 1st and 2nd round picks (traded to MTL).

bacchist

lumpy, lumpy head
Feb 7, 2013
Nope. It is just justice.
The rule has screwed the Caps before, too. It sucks on so many different levels.

I'm not totally opposed to being able to challenge based on off sides. If a team scores on the rush and the play should have been dead, that is a reasonable challenge. But there has to be some cut off.

Just look at this. The goal is 20 seconds into the video and the clip starts after the missed off sides call. This kind of thing damages the integrity of the game.

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal

Fantilli with 1 + 1 last night, 3 pts in his last 2.

Because of ESPN’s “Flying Blades of Fury” or whatever, I actually watched some of the Jackets game. Really impressed with Fantilli already. I could see him giving Bedard a run for the Calder.

Maybe I’m a sucker for size, but he looks more natural as a NHL center compared to Bedard, who is getting bodied, and knocked off the puck a lot. I still think Bedard will eventually play wing as a P. Kane with a better shot - but what do I know, lol.

msrulo

Feb 3, 2013
Toronto, ON
Shane Pinto suspended 41 games for gambling. First NHL suspension of its kind. Not great for a guy who was already having trouble coming to terms on a contract. Ironically the Sens have a sports betting partner as their jersey sponsor — go figure.

I think that ties Raffi Torres for longest suspension.

crab

Jan 26, 2019
Penguins being right in the basement with us is pretty funny.

Lost in all of this is the fact that Penguins are pretty much boned if they can't turn this around. Karlsson is signed until 2027 and while they were smart to put the 1st round pick conditional (top-10 protected), they also face a scenario in which they keep that top-10 pick next summer and the year after still suck and then come into the 2025 draft without their own 1st and 2nd round picks (traded to MTL).

Yep and they should be worse next season with their aging core.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I think that ties Raffi Torres for longest suspension.
list of suspensions…

At the end of Game 4 of the 1927 Stanley Cup Finals, Coutu started a bench-clearing brawl, apparently at the request of coach Art Ross, by assaulting referee Jerry Laflamme and tackling referee Billy Bell in the corridor. As a result, he was expelled from the NHL for life; the longest suspension to date. (Eventually reduced to 2.5 years)

Reactions: msrulo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad