League News: NHL Talk - (News n' Scores n' Stuff) | 2023-24 Regular Season Edition

VaCaps Fan

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2018
WTF is the deal with renovations at Capital One Arena? Place seemed dumpy with the construction going on….

VaCaps Fan

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2018
A bunch of areas were under construction and some of the escalators were completely dismantled. Gift shop was highly disappointing as well with all the old kids merchandise taking up space.

PlushMinus

Nov 18, 2021
The Connor Brown experiment in Edmonton hasn't gone very well - yet.

Pretty sure he's on a line with McDavid and has no points, including today's 6-1 hiding over Nashville.

(in his defence I have heard he is a slow starter so there is still time, but most of his money comes from playing more than 10 games so the clock is ticking).

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
The Connor Brown experiment in Edmonton hasn't gone very well - yet.

Pretty sure he's on a line with McDavid and has no points, including today's 6-1 hiding over Nashville.

(in his defence I have heard he is a slow starter so there is still time, but most of his money comes from playing more than 10 games so the clock is ticking).
He was (already) demoted to the 3rd line. Top-line was E.Kane - McDavid - Draisatl.

Reactions: RedRocking

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
He played four games last season and had reconstructive surgery on his knee. He’s getting back into game shape playing on his third team in three years and this one is in a new conference. I’d give him more than a handful of games before reaching a verdict on his performance.

Last edited:

PlushMinus

Nov 18, 2021
He played four games last season and had reconstructive surgery on his knee. He’s getting back into game shape playing on his third team in three years and this one is in a new conference. I’d give him more than a handful of games before reaching a verdict on his performance.
Yeah I didn't reach a verdict - I said the experiment in Edmonton hadn't gone well yet.

But his contract is very interesting

1697674746996.png

League minimum with a very large bonus of 3+ million IF he plays more than 10 games.

So YOU might say he's getting back into game shape but Edm mgmt have only given the guy a very short time frame to do so. And the way they are with cash and the cap I could easily see them demoting him to save paying that bonus.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009

Did Slavin f***ing dirty.

I was expecting one more walk down to the goal line. Slavin did about all you can reasonably do there and didn't even look out of sorts doing it, that's just a seeing-eye shot after two moves that almost didn't even work

Reactions: Devil Dancer

PlushMinus

Nov 18, 2021
I was expecting one more walk down to the goal line. Slavin did about all you can reasonably do there and didn't even look out of sorts doing it, that's just a seeing-eye shot after two moves that almost didn't even work
And yet they did work and he scored a goal. Because MacKinnon is one of the best players in the world. And I think the whole point of the clip is that he outplayed Slavin who is a very fine D.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
And yet they did work and he scored a goal. Because MacKinnon is one of the best players in the world. And I think the whole point of the clip is that he outplayed Slavin who is a very fine D.
He did, but not massively. Slavin didn’t get cooked, he got burned on a good but relatively lucky shot.

Just thought there would be a spin out or something on the highlight but the D did about everything possible there

PlushMinus

Nov 18, 2021
He did, but not massively. Slavin didn’t get cooked, he got burned on a good but relatively lucky shot.

Just thought there would be a spin out or something on the highlight but the D did about everything possible there
Wow you are a hard f***ing taskmaster, dude. That was a beautiful clip of MacKinnon's skating and puck handling ability - I watch the Avs a bit and he does shit like that EVERY game. Obviously doesn't always score a goal. But that is next level skill. Very few players confound and outskate and deke 1st tier defencemen - and imo that's what Slavin is

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Wow you are a hard f***ing taskmaster, dude. That was a beautiful clip of MacKinnon's skating and puck handling ability - I watch the Avs a bit and he does shit like that EVERY game. Obviously doesn't always score a goal. But that is next level skill. Very few players confound and outskate and deke 1st tier defencemen - and imo that's what Slavin is
If that's how you see it, I guess, but the second part of your post is just what I came away feeling more impressed by. Usually you'd think with a highlight reel goal it'd be the offense, but his D was about as good as you can do it without keeping the puck out and it stuck out to me even more than the move.

I'm not taking anything away from MacKinnon, Slavin just gave an impressive effort

Capitals40

Nov 14, 2014
Summerville, SC
Worst team in the league in the GF category with only 6 (SJ has 7). It's like our entire team forgot how to score.

I know we hit the posts or crossbar a couple of times already, but so have other teams...

And of course The Hockey Guy had SJ at #32. I'm not sure the Caps are better than they are either. Hopefully we get a little better

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
And the schedule is so weird this season. At NJ, at Wild, at SJ..then back home. Since when do the Caps travel to California to play 1 game on the west coast..stupid.

Game vs SJ is at Capital One Arena, same thing for the Wild.

The Cali road trip is at the end of November.

IMG_9389.jpeg

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Just saw the weird start time for Tuesday. Is that one ESPN’s trying out that Hockey redzone? That could be cool and we start it off

Last edited:

apparentlyclueless

Dec 29, 2019
Just saw the weird start time for Tuesday. Is that one ESPN’s trying out that Hockey redzone? That could be cool and we start it off

Interesting that they have Wilson in the ad for the Caps and his face appears right after McDavid (with Robertson as well). Face of the franchise? Face of the whole league? I'm on board with that.

Oh, btw, hello everybody. Been lurking here a long time but never posted in the Caps section, fan since Ovi vs Crosby hype started back in the day.

PlushMinus

Nov 18, 2021
Was watching game highlights and I have to say (albet somewhat begrudgingly since we don't have him) I think Sorokin is the best goalie in the league. He makes some incredible saves. His game against New Jersey doesn't look great in a box score (allowed 5 goals) but the Devils could have had 10 if not for some of his saves.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad