League News: NHL Talk - (News n' Scores n' Stuff) - 2020 TDL Edition - Vol. 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
I’ve never really been Anti-Reirden but it’s just frustrating having, in my opinion, a stronger roster than Philly but looking so much weaker on the ice.
Do we have a better roster though? If you look closely, position by position and overall, the teams are very close but the Philly has an advantage because they're younger.

Jun 15, 2007
I've disliked Reirden since the Carlson to LD thing but I don't really see any blame on him for this season.

It's the roster. We are old and slow. If we flame out, I want GMBM to jettison every non-core player over age 30.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
I've disliked Reirden since the Carlson to LD thing but I don't really see any blame on him for this season.

It's the roster. We are old and slow. If we flame out, I want GMBM to jettison every non-core player over age 30.

Take a closer look at the roster. Ovi, Backstrom, Oshie, Hag and Kovalchuk are the only players currently over 30. Carlson and Holtby and Eller are exactly 30. Kovi isn't responsible for this season, he's gone anyway. Hags isn't slow, so who is left that is "old and slow" and not a core player? Oshie? He might just be our best competitor on the team.

Ovi and Backie are in fact old and slow, but neither of their games are truly built on speed and of course we aren't dumping them anyway. In the top 6, Kuzy is 27, Wilson is 25, Vrana is 23, they have speed to burn. The entire 4th line is 28 or 29. There isn't a single defenseman on the roster older than 30.

The problem with this team is simply NOT age or speed. Its focus and effort over 60 minutes. They dominate anyone they play for large stretches of most games, but they let down their focus for long enough (usually the whole first period) too often that it costs them.

We can chalk that up to coaching all we want, but if there is ONE thing that is NOT an issue with this team, its GMBM's roster decisions overall.

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
BTW, Philly is apparently either really good, or they just took these round robin games more seriously than the three teams that have made 2 SCF and one ECF appearance in the last two years. They're also more healthy than TB, DC and Broons right now.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Let's not hand the Flyers the Cup yet. They haven't won a series in nearly a decade.

This is true. We don't even have to worry about the Flyers until the ECF if we take care of business today and become the 3rd seed.

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Flyers should smoke the Habs but then have to play real hockey

Caps should have smoked Habs in 2010. If the NHL playoffs has taught me anything its that nothing is surprising.

I'm not awarding them the Cup yet. I specifically mention it could have been the three more experienced teams blowing off this worthless round robin.

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
Caps should have smoked Habs in 2010. If the NHL playoffs has taught me anything its that nothing is surprising.

I'm not awarding them the Cup yet. I specifically mention it could have been the three more experienced teams blowing off this worthless round robin.

Let's go Habs! Rework that 10 year magic!

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada

Worthless and got two of our top players injured (yes I know 74 got hurt in the exhibition). Such an awful format. Add to that the obscenity that is the draft lottery plan and this is the perfect 2020 playoff scenario. I hate this year.

Reactions: tenken00

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand

To be fair to Flyers, it is the Flyers that had actually smoked Habs in 2010. Like ran them outta playoffs. But I see what you're saying.

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Worthless and got two of our top players injured (yes I know 74 got hurt in the exhibition). Such an awful format. Add to that the obscenity that is the draft lottery plan and this is the perfect 2020 playoff scenario. I hate this year.
5ee08c4493158-6-5edf72b9b0dfe__700.jpg

4thTierSport

Feb 15, 2009
Also, this.

2020-has-been-hard-for-all-of-us-jennifer-aniston-iggy-pop.jpg
Just wow... :laugh:
For some reason, they already held part 1 of the lottery a few weeks ago, with the non qualifier teams and the unknown qualifier loser teams, and some un-named tbd team in the qualifiers won it(2.5% chance). So they will have a second lottery to choose which of the 8 qualifier losers win the 1st pick. The 8 qualifier losers have an equal 1/8 chance to win, based on 1 ball with their logo in the tumbler.

So its shaping up that Edmonton, Pitt, Minnesota, Florida, Rangers, Nashville, Winnipeg and either CBJ or TO will all have equal 12.5% chance.

Which is ridiculous....
What the random f***? Anyone that was involved in bringing in any teams besides the bottom seven should be fired. Then fire anyone else that didn’t laugh this double pick system right out of the room.

Hopefully one day we get to see the NHL ran by people that aren’t complete f***ing morons.

Reactions: Calicaps

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Pulling for the Leafs tonight. Toronto vs Tampa would be a really fun series to watch.

Honestly the matchups are about as favorable for the Caps as they could have asked for, even while getting the three seed.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Pulling for the Leafs tonight. Toronto vs Tampa would be a really fun series to watch.

Honestly the matchups are about as favorable for the Caps as they could have asked for, even while getting the three seed.

I think Columbus beating Tampa Bay again would be fantastic but yeah you can't go wrong with Toronto vs. Tampa as far as entertaining hockey.

Agreed with the matchups being pretty favorable on paper.

mad4comp

Jan 21, 2010

Would rather see the other host team lose as well. If only to enjoy the comedic relief of reading through the Leafs board. Bring on BJ's and Tampa round 2.

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010

Exactly the way we planned it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad