League News: NHL Talk - (News n' Scores n' Stuff) - 2020 TDL Edition - Vol. 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Just checked the boards of other Eastern teams and almost all of them want us as their opponent. They scared of Boston and Tampa as these are the best teams in their opinion, Philly is legit. So that leaves us we even more regressed from last season.

You know what they say. Be careful what you wish for

TheLegendOfPatPeake

Jun 12, 2020
Washington D.C.
If Reirden doesn’t win a playoff series he has to be on the hot seat
One would think but...I think the whole way this season has unfolded with the pandemic may be his saving grace. I like Todd for the most part. My only beef is that the weaknesses they showed last season are still that for the most part. I would have expected the coaching staff to have come up with a remedy for one or more of them.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

Definition of hot seat? If they lose in round one without Carlson, not to mention anyone else vital, and its not going to be dumped on the coach. If you mean that his leash would be shorter into the next season, then i would agree with that.

Reactions: max21

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
It will be especially interesting if tgey play CAR again.

They had to find a way to beat their forecheck, right? I dont think many here are confident they found it.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
2 games in? Come on man. Isn’t that a pretty small sample size?

If you wanted to argue the other side, you’d definitely say it’s not enough
Its alot more than 2 games. We weren't playing well before the season was stopped. This team hasn't looked good in a long time. The team didn't even look good in alot of the games that we won this season.
So. No it is not really a small sample size.
I know the team is capable of turning things around. I hope they do or it could be another first round exit.

Reactions: Heath and tenken00

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
It will be especially interesting if tgey play CAR again.

They had to find a way to beat their forecheck, right? I dont think many here are confident they found it.

Jensen is much smoother than last playoffs. He's been invisible in the RR games. which is good. Siegenthaler has a season under his belt. Dillon isnt flusted by a forecheck and can bring the pain. Kempny is in. Assuming Carlson is on his game, you would think they would be better.

McVechkin

Jun 29, 2015
Carolina has holes and is def beatable by this roster. Won’t be easy. The top players need to show up and TR needs to out coach Rod the bod. TR needs to find a way to alleviate their forecheck pressure.

I view the islanders as Carolina lite. Still a tough out, but an easier matchup than canes

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Its alot more than 2 games. We weren't playing well before the season was stopped. This team hasn't looked good in a long time. The team didn't even look good in alot of the games that we won this season.
So. No it is not really a small sample size.
I know the team is capable of turning things around. I hope they do or it could be another first round exit.

2020 hasn't been kind to us at all. POW

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Especially since Gallant is RIGHT THERE.

Of course, Vegas looks damn good either way. Might just be their year if their D holds up and Lehner can come through.

Reactions: Calicaps

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Hedman just blew out his ankle. Does not look good

With that the Norris finalists are all taken out. Josi is eliminated and Carlson and Hedman injured

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
Yeah. It feels like the seas are parting for the Flyers. I don't know if they win the Cup or not, but hiring Vigneault worked wonders for that team.

Reactions: Corby78

TheLegendOfPatPeake

Jun 12, 2020
Washington D.C.
I’ve never really been Anti-Reirden but it’s just frustrating having, in my opinion, a stronger roster than Philly but looking so much weaker on the ice.
Agreed. I actually like Todd a lot but something is not translating on the ice. Hoping this playoffs he turns it around and is capable of making in game adjustments.

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
I dont mind Reirden that much. I just don't understand how we can point to "these are Ovechkin as a top player twilight years, we gotta win now while we still can" and poopoo off playing young players while seeming to pay no mind on being patient in breaking in a rookie head coach.

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
Slow start, or did we just run into the hottest team in the league in the Flyers? I think it may be the latter.

Reactions: Calicaps

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
Especially since Gallant is RIGHT THERE.

Of course, Vegas looks damn good either way. Might just be their year if their D holds up and Lehner can come through.
Part of my argument for replacing Trotz with Reirden was its be easier to fire him in 2 or 3 years if the team needs a shakeup, and Gallant is right there

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
What’s occurred to me watching the Round Robin games is that our D corp lack much firepower, Carlson aside. Orlov has developed into a consistent two-way player, but beyond him we’ve got
  • Kempny
  • Dillon
  • Siegenthaler
  • Jensen
  • Gudas
Guys who can skate, but Kempny is the best offensive D we’ve got after Carlson and Orlov. That’s one of the reasons the team don’t look great without Carlson - in previous years we had guys like Niskanen and (to an extent) Djoos or Schmidt who could move up and make plays. Gudas, Jensen, Siegenthaler and Dillon in particular are good at playing the Caps’ system, and potentially getting a point or two by doing so, but they’re pretty offense-neutral guys.

Compare that to a team like Tampa:
  • Shattenkirk
  • Sergachev
  • McDonagh

Or Philadelphia:
  • Sandheim
  • Myers
  • Niskanen
Gudas, Jensen and Siegenthaler have totalled 32 points this season between them. Niskanen has 33 points this year. Dillon hasn’t recorded a single point in 12 games with the Caps so far. Our D isn’t dynamic enough, partly because they put all their eggs in the Jensen basket not understanding his game well enough. They then tried to remedy this by bringing Dillon in, but Dillon is a better version of Alzner, not Niskanen.

As a team, we rely far too heavily on our top two lines and #1D. When one is underperforming, or injured, we get screwed. Half our D and 5 of 6 bottom-six players have changed since we won the Cup, and for the worse.

Reactions: searle
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad