News Article: NHL season suspended (3/12)

kenfury

Feb 5, 2011
I def get the idea but with the volatility of the market I have no desire f***ing around with stocks at the moment. Not acting like I am Warren Buffett but my Robinhood account was over 5 grand 6 weeks ago and its a tad over 3 right now. Absolutely sick to my stomach over this shit.

Zig when the market zags. When it drops like this if you play a long game you should buy. Perhaps not today, but I'd think in the next week. Dont look at the day to day. Look at when you put in and when you pull out. Everything else is just noise.

Reactions: k8prisoner

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Zig when the market zags. When it drops like this if you play a long game you should buy. Perhaps not today, but I'd think in the next week. Dont look at the day to day. Look at when you put in and when you pull out. Everything else is just noise.
NYC is barreling toward some major shutdown situation. That should tank the market even more. If you're looking for an opportune time to buy, I'd say about 1-2 weeks from now.

Royisgone

Mar 7, 2012
If that hope isn't true then we're f***ed. I think there has been some data to suggest though that it doesn't last as long on warmer surfaces but it still lasted like 13-24 hours anyways on really warm surfaces. Most warmer places aren't showing numbers that suggest this does well there but even in the US we're not testing so who the hell knows?

I'd be watching to see what happens with Spain over the next few weeks. They're sitting at 60f (15.5c)-75f (23.8c) for the most part and a lot of people think it's going to blow up there soon. If it does at the very least that suggests this isn't going away in Spring.

There is no data to support the idea that "as temperatures increase, the virus will subside" or some such.

Keep in mind this virus is everywhere on Earth. It isn't getting warmer everywhere on Earth. The southern hemisphere is heading toward winter.

The virus will continue to increase in numbers everywhere for 3-6 months and there isn't too much that can be done about it.

Reactions: Kyndig and Eichel9

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
stomach of giant parasitic worm
Bottom is probably near the start of this crash that they manipulated w the fed ny buying up assets.. That date s were 8 23 and 8 24 15.. I doubt it will go below that flash? Crash. May not pass 19k but w the month stoppage in usa for a month. .....
Notice all car parts companies went up during this current crash and extrapolate human need etc..... Pick long term stuff you believe in and dividend stocks when you believe a bottom . Good luck..

Last edited:

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
There is no data to support the idea that "as temperatures increase, the virus will subside" or some such.

Keep in mind this virus is everywhere on Earth. It isn't getting warmer everywhere on Earth. The southern hemisphere is heading toward winter.

The virus will continue to increase in numbers everywhere for 3-6 months and there isn't too much that can be done about it.
3 to 6 ? Is that a guess . Harsh if not.. Thanks

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
I'm wondering what the end game is with this.

I wouldn't be surprised if the regular season is over as of right now. It may well not come back.

I do think they'll try to save the playoffs, however.

Let's hope the games are not played in empty arenas. That would kill a large percentage of the entertainment value for me.
Looks like they are trying not to refund the rest if regular season w the rescheduling twit..

Royisgone

Mar 7, 2012

It's sort of an educated estimate. No one knows for sure obviously, but that is the anticipated timeline. Eventually, when enough people have contracted the virus, it will start to go away.

But that is going to take time.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I'm sure they'll pro-rate cap calculation.

I’m not sure thats a viable solution.

The economic environment the league existed to created that 84-88mil upper limit projection was pre-pandemic. The post pandemic economic environment will be different, probably very different for some time.

Players can only get 50% of league revenue per CBA. The NHL needs to get as accurate a projection of revenue as they can. It will be very interesting how it plays out, especially with players getting more and more annoyed with escrow.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington

The economic environment the league existed to created that 84-88mil upper limit projection was pre-pandemic. The post pandemic economic environment will be different, probably very different for some time.

Players can only get 50% of league revenue per CBA. The NHL needs to get as accurate a projection of revenue as they can. It will be very interesting how it plays out, especially with players getting more and more annoyed with escrow.

Another major impact will be the falling Canadian dollar which has gone from $.76 to $.72 since the initial projections. I fully expect a lower cap next year with teams given a buy out or two.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
NYC is barreling toward some major shutdown situation. That should tank the market even more. If you're looking for an opportune time to buy, I'd say about 1-2 weeks from now.
My understanding is the Fed pumped $1.5 trillion into the US banking system last week, and told the major banks they could not restrict lines of corporate credit. My understanding is that should prevent a repeat of the housing / loan collapse ca. 2008. I'm not worried.

Last edited by a moderator:

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
My understanding is the Fed pumped $1.5 trillion into the US banking system last week, and told the major banks they could not restrict lines of corporate credit. My understanding is that should prevent a repeat of the housing / loan collapse ca. 2008. I'm not worried.

The fed pumping $1.5T was only to try and save the stock mart by creating artificial demand. This does not solve the problem. The market is acting irrationally.

Not of the $1.5T goes to home owners.

The bill house has passed is something more around the general population. This is when you have freezing on mortgages.

I believe 30 yr mortgages should carry with it 48 months ofwaving payment withou penalty or interest to cover medical emergency, unemployment, and disasters like this.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

It all depends on what is done now.

Look at data comparisons of Chiba snd Korea’s vs Iran and Italy.

The firmer took string isolation measures where numbers went down over 4 weeks to little. Italy and Iran didn’t do restrictions do it soread over the country.

Here in the USA many places are moving,ementing quarentines with school closure, stores closing, employers pushing peop,e to telework if possible.

It’s possible in mid April the numbers drop considerably where people can start to socialize again.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
The fed pumping $1.5T was only to try and save the stock mart by creating artificial demand. This does not solve the problem. The market is acting irrationally.

Not of the $1.5T goes to home owners.

The bill house has passed is something more around the general population. This is when you have freezing on mortgages.

I believe 30 yr mortgages should carry with it 48 months ofwaving payment withou penalty or interest to cover medical emergency, unemployment, and disasters like this.
I know the market is acting irrationally, and I know the money doesn't flow through to homeowners. Here is what I was saying in more detail.

Because there is fractional reserve lending, banks are permitted to lend to corporations, simple business, and individuals, money for which the borrower doesn't have full collateral. If, for example, a corporation offers as collateral shares of it's stock which the company still holds, and the value of that company's stock drops, the lending institution is permitted to ask (actually is required by the Fed) to reduce the line of credit and collect payment to bring the line of credit back in line with fractional reserve lending laws. My understanding is the Fed put the $1.5 trillion up as "American Banking collateral", and told the big banks they can't reduce those lines of credit (analogous to a bank or S&L calling a mortgage), it's covered by this $1.5 trillion.

Re: your last paragraph, without thinking too deeply, a mandatory "waiver" period would be reflected in higher interest rate, or higher down-payment requirements, or both. A 48 month period seems excessive (business cycle recoveries are vastly shorter, disabilities are generally commuted to Social Security after 12 months) and ripe for abuse. It won't be free, regardless of the terms.

Edit: plus, I thought you can negotiate with mortgage lenders in those cases.

Last edited:

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

It's (mostly) their own fault for maxing out their cap escalator option for so long. I'm almost certain 90%+ of NHLers have 0 clue how escrow actually works or why it exists.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad