News Article: NHL season suspended (3/12)

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
Internal chatter (we provide some , not all, streaming services for the NHL) is that it's a leaguewide suspension of play, same as the NBA.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
For one glorious morning, Gary will wake up as commissioner of a top-3 professional sports league in North America. Let the ol' rat have his day in the grainbin.

That may be true, but as bad a commissioner as he is, he's better than Goodell in my book. And Manfred didn't exactly cover himself in glory with his handling of the Astros debacle.

Reactions: joshjull

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
Yup, sounds like season is getting suspended

If league play resumes, I wonder if they go straight to the playoffs. In which case, would they use points % to determine standings?

I think that a resumption is unlikely, although this is unprecedented territory for sure.

Reactions: Chainshot

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site

If league play resumes, I wonder if they go straight to the playoffs. In which case, would they use points % to determine standings?

I think they will go by alphabetical order so Buffalo is a top seed:D

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

It seems like they would have to use % instead of record due to the disparity in games played.

Reactions: Paxon

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Someone noted on Twitter...player contracts expire on July 1st so how is the league planning to play games into July?

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
Someone noted on Twitter...player contracts expire on July 1st so how is the league planning to play games into July?
The league and the Player's Association would presumably also postpone the end of the league year/beginning of the next league year, and everything that goes with that. I would assume that other events like the draft would also be postponed.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
so angry this stupid f***ing virus has ruined every god damn thing. My stocks, my entertainment, EVERYTHING. Syracuse Basketball gets screwed, Juventus gets screwed. Now we have to deal with this shit for god knows how long.

Whoever caused the virus f*** you..Times a million.

Reactions: Taro Tsujimoto

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
The hope is that this virus is seasonal.

It likely will be to a degree, just the logistics of restarting a season after a 3 month gap are pretty extreme, not to mention what happens to next season as a result.

It might make more sense to just cross this one off and start again in the fall. We'll see.

Reactions: slip

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
I wonder if I'll get a credit on my NHL.tv season pass?
yep tp and hand sanitizer prices on the black market are crazy.:sarcasm: Though I think it would be good customer service from NHL.tv.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
It likely will be to a degree, just the logistics of restarting a season after a 3 month gap are pretty extreme, not to mention what happens to next season as a result.

It might make more sense to just cross this one off and start again in the fall. We'll see.
They could shorten next season to compensate.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
TBH if the season resumes and we're playing in may/june I'm down for some meaningless game Party in The Plaza

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad