Proposal: NHL Rule Changes

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Would like offsides challenge to be amended.

Offsides is called on the ice.

After that, if it's missed and a goal is scored there should be two overruling factors:

1) some reasonable time limit. There was one in TB/Van last night that got called back despite the miss (obvious) being more than a minute prior to goal.

2) if defending team gains legitimate possession in D zone prior to goal but fails to clear I think waiving off goal should be disallowed.

Not perfect, but I think current approach is wrong.

Goals are scored as a direct result of ref mistakes/misses all the time and we live with that. Probably far more often than botched offsides prior to the new challenge rule.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
change offsides.
mskebit so as soon as puck hits blue its good. not over blue.
also if a skate is invthe air over the blue is its onside, unlike now.

Jdavidev

Jul 5, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Wow, such a juicy thread! Gonna try to tackle it all...

1. Goalie outside crease - I agree in my heart that goalies outside the crease are fair game, but protected more in a larger crease -- but devil’s advocate, they aren’t normal skaters, they have different skates, can’t go as fast, different sticks not ideal for playing and less peripheral vision, they are more vulnerable… but, you say, then they shouldn’t venture out too far… and again, my heart would agree, but my head says, that’s not an easy rule to pass, i.e. safety concerns.

2. Instigator rule - They should get rid of it as automatic penalty. The refs can still call it if a guy goes way outside the lines attacking an unsuspecting player, or add unsportsmanlike or roughing. Or call one guy for fighting and not the other guy if he’s completely jumped and can’t defend himself. Just seems silly to have a voodoo penalty out there to protect cheapshot artists and scare off guys looking to deal with things face to face.

3. More diving/embellishment calls - this one I can’t get behind, not because I don't like it, but because they already are so bad at making the calls, that I can’t see it working out. Two embellishment calls went against the bruins recently that were totally unfounded. You can’t penalize after the fact, it just gets too muddied and weird. The league seemed to call out the embarrassing ones with fines with more regularity in the past, and I think that method should be prioritized again.

4. Offsides - I’d like to get rid of review there all together. I hate them. Offsides is such an arbitrary rule as it is, it shouldn’t be taking away goals. It’s not like they review plays that were blown dead that shouldn’t have been. Just let it go. Don’t agree about changing skate over blueline, or puck that just touches blue. That won’t change the issue, just move it back earlier in play, they’d still be reviewing it the same as now, just different parameters.

But, overwise, 5 second rule is the only compromise that works, calls back the ridiculous ones that lead to goals directly, but stops the insignificant reviews on sustained possession.

And why do linesmen need to be on ice, couldn’t they sit just off the ice at the line, out of the way? They could add one more ref to the ice, and still be less congestion than before

5. Puck over the glass - This is one I liked before when it was a judgement call on the intent. What I don’t understand is why all the officials get together and discuss close plays. If they are that unsure, just let it go. Don’t give one team a decided advantage because they think it cleared the glass clean. Should have never been a penalty in the first place. But… they can’t take the penalty away now. If they do and a fan gets hurt from a cleared puck, their lawyer will have a field day with it, claiming the NHL values the entertainment of the game over fan safety by removing the penalty and encouraging more pucks over the glass by desperate players putting fans in harms way.

6. Officials upstairs - sounds like a progressive idea that needs to be put through plenty of thought experiments first, as it would change the game very dramatically, but promising. Would be concerned about how they look at video though, as we already see in DOPS that they slow the play way down to such an extent that it warps what actually happened. Maybe only limit their power on real-time viewing.

7. Penalty extending regulation - um, can’t see this working at all. Making it a two penalties makes more sense (not a double minor, but say interference and delay of game) making it 5v3. But, I don’t see this happen too much to make a big deal out of it.

8. OT - a big one, probably needs it’s own thread. Every game should be worth 3 points. That is so much common sense, it hurts me that they have gone on this long without changing it. I like 3v3, even if it is a gimmick, it is exciting, but not exactly fair (but hey, each team had a chance to win it in regulation, so fair it out the window). I hate the shootout. It’s so anti-climactic, especially after an exciting 3v3 ends, and the shootout is worth the same amount of points? Again, this hurts my head and my heart. No shootouts, ever. Extend 3v3 to 8 min or 10. No winner (which would be very rare)? Fine, just split the points, give them each 1.5. Why not. Make the point system make sense!

9. Goalie Equipment - agreed, the safety issue is bunk. Slimming the pads slightly has no effect on safety. They are not removing them. I am hesitant, but okay with marginally increasing the size of the nets. Why not? Goalies used to be much smaller and way less athletic back in the day. Adjust accordingly.

10. Penalty waived if team scores - I get why they do that… wait, no I don’t. They don’t have a man advantage yet, and they are at a disadvantage because of the infraction on the play, so if they score, bonus. Don’t agree with the man staying in the box the entire 2 min even if they score. That’s not right for a minor infraction. That’s why they have major penalties that do just that for more egregious infractions.

ashnathan

Apr 22, 2014
Australia
Get rid of instigator. Cheapshot artists literally have a license these days and its awful. This should be atop the agenda, too much **** happens cos the big boys cant sort it out.

If you score after youve been given a PP, you still get the PP, stupid that its waived off cos you scored? Dumb. Change it.

Let's go back a year to Ryan Spooner, accidental hit in the back that 'boarded' opposing player, normally 2mins for boarding, oh wait, he has blood? Game Misconduct. Seriously, what the ****? Moronic.

If goalies want to keep their big pads, widen the nets. Simple, just get the ratio right, im sure they could find a method to measure it and make it comparable to years past (late 80s or something)

As most have said, the blue line should be part of the zone.

Again, offside reviews shouldnt count if the play didnt directly contribute to the goal (make it a time thing, 5 seconds or something)

It absolutely baffles me, I live in Australia, and we have '3rd umpires' 'video ref' etc, they should handle the reviews, regardless of what the ref called on ice UNLESS it is literally impossible to delegate either way then its refs call, but if it is clear then its an auto change of decision, I don't care if the Ref looks dumb or not cos he had to reverse his decision, and give them a proper ****ing device to view it on, theres phones bigger than those damned screens they use.

NHL needs to also alter what constitutes how it calls its penalties. These days a hook isnt really a hook, and a slashing call is basically a lottery, that isnt really rule changes per se, its attention to detail, something NHL refs absolutely lack. I also agree with some that lines man should stay off the ice, the amount of plays that disrupt and gift goals to other teams is horrendous.

Also one other thing, there needs to be a common sense rule. Lets just use this past weekend, Hoffman deliberately cross checks the back of another players head, blatantly, and gets 2 games. Cody Eakin checked Lundqvist on the boards while he played the puck and got 4. I dunno about you, but you could argue Eakin made a foolish decision with poor judgement, Hoffman's action was pre meditated, as was Dubinsky's last season on Crosby. If you deliberate use your stick to injure another players head, be it cross checking or a good old baseball swing, it should be 10 games.

Embellishment also needs harsher penalties and LAST but certainly not least, YOU CANT PENALISE A GUY AND CALL THE OTHER GUY FOR EMBELLISHMENT! That is contradiction 101. If the guy embellished the call, its obviously not a penalty ffs.

Apologies for the long post guys :)

Sharp Shooting Neely

May 30, 2007
Nova Scotia
change offsides.
mskebit so as soon as puck hits blue its good. not over blue.
also if a skate is invthe air over the blue is its onside, unlike now.

It is a bit odd in terms of consistency that when entering the offensive zone the inner edge of the blue line closest to the goal is used to determine if a player is on or off-side on a play. When a team does establish possession in the zone, the outer edge farthest away from the goal is then used to determine if the puck has left the zone or if it remains onside. Always wondered why it is not the same edge of the blue line for both situation.

Ten Thousand Hours

Aug 17, 2010
Boston
The biggest fix the league can make is with the point system and the loser point, which incentives teams to play into overtime. The game would be much more fun if teams played to win in regulation. There are plenty of solutions.

Offsides reviews are also awful.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
No surprise here, but I agree with all of this. We may see the current Bruins in different shades, but I get the feeling Mike that we watch hockey the same way.

I'll add a couple.

Make "puck over the glass" a discretion penalty to cut out the bogus purely accidental stuff.

Also, the play is dead when the whistle blows. Not when the official was thinking he maybe should be blowing a whistle here but doesn't quite have it in his... Just **** off with dead in the head BS. Puck crosses the line before the whistle blows? It's a goal.

And if goaltenders want to lean on their bulky equipment being a safety issue, then let em have it and make modest increases to net size. Equipment is bigger. The players are bigger. Stands to reason the nets should be bigger too. See if that changes their minds about their equipment being all about safety. Ultimatum and I don't care what they choose.

I like the "over the glass delay of game" call, but don't think it should apply when a puck is batted out of the air.

I don't like the "no icing" on a penalty. I just think a 5-4 advantage is big enough.

If the goalies/NHLPA refuse to make the equipment smaller than I agree, after years of being against it, it is time to make the nets bigger.

Sharp Shooting Neely

May 30, 2007
Nova Scotia
This suggestion was included in a previous thread that was not dedicated to the topic on rule changes it this one.

Have teams occupy the far end of the ice in periods one and three to create the more difficult long change. Some have pointed it out that although it has intrigue for the on ice play it does present a possible problem for season ticket holders. Their preference is often tied to being in the visitor end where the home team shoots twice in today's set up. Is flipping the seating for the opposite end to mirror the change even a possibility for consideration?

ReggieMoto

Nov 24, 2003
Manchester, NH
I have one, that in theory, should make coaches want to win in regulation. Hint: I'm not longer in favor of the 3-2-1 points system.

You can read it and how it would have affected last seasons playoff race here: https://scoutingpost.com/2016/12/23/dominic-tiano-does-the-loser-point-really-create-parity/

Spoiler alert: Bruins would have finished third in the division

Read it and like it given the tiered process (reg, OT, SO) for determining game winners. Always hated the loser point, and was always a fan of motivating the team towards winning in earlier tiers instead of just hanging on until the shootout.

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
Correct me if I am wrong but wasn't the point per team going into OT put in before the shootout to give motivation for both teams to try to win and get the second point?

Which means it should have been eliminated when the shoot out was put in place to begin with.

And now that Brodeur is retired can we get rid of the stupid goalie trapezoid please.

Sharp Shooting Neely

May 30, 2007
Nova Scotia
I have one, that in theory, should make coaches want to win in regulation. Hint: I'm not longer in favor of the 3-2-1 points system.

You can read it and how it would have affected last seasons playoff race here: https://scoutingpost.com/2016/12/23/dominic-tiano-does-the-loser-point-really-create-parity/

Definetly a situation that is a major point of discontent with many fans. Being rewarded for losing is hard to understand let alone accept.

Have long believed creating the current system that you described as parity, another word for it might also be mediocrity, was the preferred way to create an appearance of teams be more competive than they otherwise would be. The longer a fan base thinks their team is still in a race the more revenue an owner/league potentially will take in. What you have proposed appears to be right in line with what many fans are looking for. If only some owners would also get on side.

Great piece.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ

I can't really get behind that scoring system for one main reason. Giving zero points for a loss in the shootout, when the shootout is nothing but an individual skills competition doesn't seem fair. I'm still a proponent of the 3-2-1 system, and think that added point for a regulation win is motivation enough to coach to win in regulation.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
I can't really get behind that scoring system for one main reason. Giving zero points for a loss in the shootout, when the shootout is nothing but an individual skills competition doesn't seem fair. I'm still a proponent of the 3-2-1 system, and think that added point for a regulation win is motivation enough to coach to win in regulation.

Then you may as well scrap overtime, because in time, coaches will figure out a way to get it to the shootout.

ReggieMoto

Nov 24, 2003
Manchester, NH
Correct me if I am wrong but wasn't the point per team going into OT put in before the shootout to give motivation for both teams to try to win and get the second point?

I think the two big differences here are (1) there is no point award for losing, and (2) the decreasing amount of points awarded the winning team.

So, it's either 3-0, 2-0, or 1-0. There is no static 2-1 anymore. I think those are two big motivating factors that are missing from today's point award system.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
I think the two big differences here are (1) there is no point award for losing, and (2) the decreasing amount of points awarded the winning team.

So, it's either 3-0, 2-0, or 1-0. There is no static 2-1 anymore. I think those are two big motivating factors that are missing from today's point award system.

Precisely.

Another way to look at it:

We are down to the last game of the season and the Bruins are 1 point back of Ottawa for the final playoff spot (and Ottawa holds the tie breaker).

Boston wins it's final game 2-1 in regulation while Ottawa loses 2-1 in OT or the SO.

Currently, Ottawa would get in for losing while Boston goes to play golf for winning. Is that really a fair way?

Jdavidev

Jul 5, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Precisely.

Another way to look at it:

We are down to the last game of the season and the Bruins are 1 point back of Ottawa for the final playoff spot (and Ottawa holds the tie breaker).

Boston wins it's final game 2-1 in regulation while Ottawa loses 2-1 in OT or the SO.

Currently, Ottawa would get in for losing while Boston goes to play golf for winning. Is that really a fair way?

Well, they would have had 81 other games to decide it beforehand.

Still a proponent of 3-2-1. But also a proponent of elimating the shootout altogether, and possibly reintroduce ties instead. So if you did that, wouldn't need to make 3 point games under your system. 2 for a win. 0 for a loss. 1 each for a tie

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad