Proposal: NHL Rule Changes

Otherworld

Oct 26, 2016
After seeing Rask and Lundqvist get hammered in open ice will the NHL do anything?

I know one thing, a few years ago, if you ran the goalie you better be ready for a fight (unless your Lucic :))

IMO the NHL needs to protect the goaltenders by sending a message here.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
Came in here looking for some recommendations of good chicken tenders.

Left disappointed.

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
Re

What happened to Lundqvist last night was crap. Every player on the Rangers should have gone right at the guy for that hit no questions asked.

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
What happened to Lundqvist last night was crap. Every player on the Rangers should have gone right at the guy for that hit no questions asked.

This ^

Whether it was intentional or not, Lundqvist got blown up and when down hard. You have to respond to that kind of hit on your tender.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
After seeing Rask and Lundqvist get hammered in open ice will the NHL do anything?

I know one thing, a few years ago, if you ran the goalie you better be ready for a fight (unless your Lucic :))

IMO the NHL needs to protect the goaltenders by sending a message here.

Drop the instigator!

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Thread Edit

After disccing with the moderator team;

In order to differentiate this from the "Out of Town NHL Thread", let's turn this into a discussion on existing NHL Rules and proposed Rule Changes.

This can include, but is not limited to:

Protection of Goaltenders
Goalie Interference
Offsides
Red Line
Coaches' Challenges
Instigator/Fighting
No Touch Icing
Delay of Game

Have at it.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
No more challenging off-sides. I hate the delays.

Call diving/unsportsmanlike conduct more often.

Make unsportsmanlike conduct an automatic double minor so there really is no incentive to embellish a call or "help a call along."

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Drop the instigator!

Yup, be amazed at how quick goalies would stop getting run and tough guys like Emelin would stop going for knees.

Rangers have nobody to stand up to a noted tough guy like Cody Eakins, instead of suspension Quintal and player safety should just say no more instigator.

As annoying as Jack Edwards is I thought he was very good on the instigators last night talking about rivalries and fighting.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Yup, be amazed at how quick goalies would stop getting run and tough guys like Emelin would stop going for knees.

Rangers have nobody to stand up to a noted tough guy like Cody Eakins, instead of suspension Quintal and player safety should just say no more instigator.

As annoying as Jack Edwards is I thought he was very good on the instigators last night talking about rivalries and fighting

I actually love how pro-fighting Jack is. He was absolutely correct, too.

Otherworld

Oct 26, 2016

Make unsportsmanlike conduct an automatic double minor so there really is no incentive to embellish a call or "help a call along."

I had mentioned this before, I like the automatic double minor for embellishment.

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
If goalies are in the crease they are off limits. The leave it to go behind the net for example they are fair game like any other player. It is the goalies choice to leave the crease.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
What I'd like to see:

Offsides - challenge or even call. No more skate has to be on the ice. Have it like football and 'breaking the plane'. This allows for keeping the spirit as written while allowing for natural stride.

Puck over glass - This was made a penalty due to tactic when guys were gassed. So get rid of the 2 minute penalty. BUT like icing - no change up for the offending team. Even if its already shorthanded.

Slash to stick the breaks stick - Just get rid of this stupid damn thing. Honestly if it were me with the current rules I'd have a fungo/balsa wood stick ready to go if I needed a PP.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Here's the least controversial rule change that I can think of:

IIHF rules for skaters' helmets. In other words, if your helmet pops off, you can't play the puck - you go directly to the bench. Players aren't going to start aiming for the head to pop off someone's helmet - that's already a huge no-no. If your helmet's so loose that you're consistently doing a Bartolo Colon impression, that's a safety issue.

And, related to the original issue, I'm shocked that it took 6 seconds (I timed it) from when Lundqvist's helmet popped off until a whistle was blown. If a goaltender's helmet is knocked off, and the goaltender's team has the puck, play is to stop immediately.

Masks and helmets are there for a reason; I have no doubt that the NHL wants to appear like they're doing something about concussions, but whether they actually do something? Who knows.

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011

All set with offside challenges. Ive been very vocal about this for awhile now.

ap3lovr

Dec 31, 2005
New Brunswick
I would like the rule put in something like the following:

If the game is tied, or within 1 goal. If the team behind or tied in the score is awarded a powerplay with less than 2 minutes remaining in the game. Regular time will be extended until the completion of the powerplay.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
If goalies are in the crease they are off limits. The leave it to go behind the net for example they are fair game like any other player. It is the goalies choice to leave the crease.

Actually that is totally wrong. The rules actually dispel 'fair game' - Rule 69:

69.4 Contact Outside the Goal Crease - If an attacking player initiates
any contact with a goalkeeper, other than incidental contact, while the
goalkeeper is outside his goal crease, and a goal is scored, the goal
will be disallowed.
A goalkeeper is not “fair game†just because he is outside the goal
crease.
The appropriate penalty should be assessed in every case
where an attacking player makes unnecessary contact with the
goalkeeper. However, incidental contact will be permitted when the the
goalkeeper is in the act of playing the puck outside his goal crease
provided the attacking player has made a reasonable effort to avoid
such unnecessary contact.
When a goalkeeper has played the puck outside of his crease and
is then prevented from returning to his crease area due to the
deliberate actions of an attacking player, such player may be
penalized for goalkeeper interference. Similarly, the goalkeeper may
be penalized, if by his actions outside of his crease he deliberately
interferes with an attacking player who is attempting to play the puck

An attacking player who, in the judgment
of the Referee, initiates contact with the goalkeeper, whether inside or
outside the crease, in a fashion that would otherwise warrant a
penalty, will be assessed an appropriate penalty (minor or major
and/or game misconduct) and will be subject to additional sanctions
as appropriate pursuant to Rule 28 – Supplementary Discipline.

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/en/v3/ext/rules/2014-2015-rulebook.pdf

s3antana5757

Feb 15, 2014
Actually that is totally wrong. The rules actually dispel 'fair game' - Rule 69:

69.4 Contact Outside the Goal Crease - If an attacking player initiates
any contact with a goalkeeper, other than incidental contact, while the
goalkeeper is outside his goal crease, and a goal is scored, the goal
will be disallowed.
A goalkeeper is not “fair game†just because he is outside the goal
crease.
The appropriate penalty should be assessed in every case
where an attacking player makes unnecessary contact with the
goalkeeper. However, incidental contact will be permitted when the the
goalkeeper is in the act of playing the puck outside his goal crease
provided the attacking player has made a reasonable effort to avoid
such unnecessary contact.
When a goalkeeper has played the puck outside of his crease and
is then prevented from returning to his crease area due to the
deliberate actions of an attacking player, such player may be
penalized for goalkeeper interference. Similarly, the goalkeeper may
be penalized, if by his actions outside of his crease he deliberately
interferes with an attacking player who is attempting to play the puck

An attacking player who, in the judgment
of the Referee, initiates contact with the goalkeeper, whether inside or
outside the crease, in a fashion that would otherwise warrant a
penalty, will be assessed an appropriate penalty (minor or major
and/or game misconduct) and will be subject to additional sanctions
as appropriate pursuant to Rule 28 – Supplementary Discipline.

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/en/v3/ext/rules/2014-2015-rulebook.pdf

I think he was saying he wanted to change this rule. I kind of agree with it. I think it would add a whole different element to the game. I think this would have to correspondent with removing the trapezoid though.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
I think he was saying he wanted to change this rule. I kind of agree with it. I think it would add a whole different element to the game. I think this would have to correspondent with removing the trapezoid though.

Then I apologize I misread the intent.

sorry Donnie. My bad.

After the hit last night there are posts all over the site that claim the goalie was 'fair game'.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
What I'd like to see:

Offsides - challenge or even call. No more skate has to be on the ice. Have it like football and 'breaking the plane'. This allows for keeping the spirit as written while allowing for natural stride.

Puck over glass - This was made a penalty due to tactic when guys were gassed. So get rid of the 2 minute penalty. BUT like icing - no change up for the offending team. Even if its already shorthanded.

Slash to stick the breaks stick - Just get rid of this stupid damn thing. Honestly if it were me with the current rules I'd have a fungo/balsa wood stick ready to go if I needed a PP.

Drives me crazy too. I'd also like to see the bar raised on all infractions,some of these hooking calls are more than ridiculous,as are some interference calls. And I would like to see embellishments rewarded with 4 minutes of unsportsmanlike. As for the goalie,no touch has always been the rule,but I'd like to see that restricted to the crease area.

Sharp Shooting Neely

May 30, 2007
Nova Scotia
What I'd like to see:

For puck over the glass - In the defensive zone the player who committed the infraction will not be given a two minute minor. Rather, he would instead be sent to the penalty box and following the face off when his team has cleared the defensive zone, the player would then be allowed to re-enter the play.

Otherworld

Oct 26, 2016
What I'd like to see:

I agree with all of this. It would be smart to switch to wood sticks during a PK. As we see the composite stick break so easily giving the team on the PP a bigger advantage.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad