NHL prospect career in jeopardy over video game addiction

Status
Not open for further replies.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Write or said. Doesn't really matter.

He wouldn't have said "is" if the player wasn't currently in junior(and not a single person would consider a guy playing in a professional men's league a junior because of the WJC).

He only checks two largely ambiguous boxes. "High pick" could mean any 1st round pick and "very prominent team" could be about half the teams in the league. He doesn't check the main box that only has one interpretation because he isn't a junior player.

Except he is a junior player still. He played in the most recent WORLD JUNIORS in buffalo.

There is no other player who fits this as well... high pick, prominent team, and having struggles. Add in tge bouchard interview and hes the most likely candidate imo

6 Karlsson 5

Aug 9, 2012
As someone who's played a crapload of games my whole life, there's no such thing as an addiction. It's a pastime. Playing too much of it is laziness and little else. This is almost insulting to people suffering with other genuine addictions.

Whoever this is lacks the right work ethic, he's not addicted to anything. Not to say he has problems, but this will be a symptom of something else - more possibly depression.

You seem to know very little about psychology and neuroscience. I'd suggest you don't talk about topics you know nothing about.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
"Very Very Prominent Team" If we look at these as... .Original 6, all of canada, and add Philly, LA, St. Louis, Pittsburgh, Washington to the mix as very prominent

"High Pick" Lets cut it off at 20 shall we. Lets also exclude players already in the NHL.

Who does that leave

Vilardi - had a huge season
Rasmussen - had a decent season, had a monster playoffs
Valimaki - had a big season
Thomas - had a big season

Juolevi - was a bit disappointing in his D+1 year, his NHL team decided he should go to play at home rather than another year in London
Logan Brown - tough D+1 year, but D+2 year was big
Logan Stanley - had a big year
Dennis Cholowoski - drafted out of BCHL, went to college for D+1, went WHL for D+2, had a pretty good year.

There is one name that stands out on that list.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

dasaybz

da saybz
Aug 2, 2005
I think it's extremely unprofessional for Jeff Marek to even go down this rabbit hole. Now we have people trying to figure out who this person is, and guys like Juolevi, are having their names dragged around in the mud. What if it were an alcohol, or a drug problem, would Marek be so quick to give details on the player having addiction problems? Some things are just better off left unsaid. All in the name of clicks I guess right?

Romkey

Jul 24, 2011
I've heard of a drug overdose, never video game overdose

many people die from drugs and alcohol addictions each day, how many video game deaths
There actually have been a few. I read about a guy in Korea who played for like 72 hours and only stopped to go to the bathroom. Guy ended up dying from dehydration and being so sleep deprived that his heart shut down. It also was thought that his circulation was severely damaged because he was sitting for so long.

Elias Pettersson

I'm not a troll
Jan 22, 2014
He’s a lock for a pro try-out. Certainly not to be a regular NHLer (at this point).
He just had one of the best u20 seasons in Finland, second to Heiskanen. Even worst case scenario, hes a lock to play a few seasons in the nhl. How many awful #5/6 defencemen are in the nhl? Juolevi right now would be better than some of them.

Last edited:

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Maclean said something about Dallas, but I didn't quite hear what he said and I don't think they have anyone that fits the bill anyway.

Anyone else hear what he actually said?

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Maclean said something about Dallas, but I didn't quite hear what he said and I don't think they have anyone that fits the bill anyway.

Anyone else hear what he actually said?

Definitely none of Dallas’ guys fit the bill. Didn’t really catch the whole comment but I’m fairly sure it wasn’t in reference to this incident.

terrible dee

Oct 1, 2017

"you mean Olli Juolevi ;)" <Quote>
This crossed my mind,

I thought his play at training camp last year was straight up bizarre, prompting the harsh quote from Travis Green that the Canucks IMEADIETlY suppressed, even issuing a few threats to get it out of print and the public's mind (The quote was something like: If he's going to play like that again, then he can go home to Finland right now)

I mean, I STILL don't think it makes sense, its one thing to be bad, it's another to play like.............like you've got a hangover or just don't care.

THEN there were Sami Salo's harsh comments, to paraphrase: If Joulevi ever wants to play in the NHL he better get his conditioning together,

HUH? Conditioning? First of all it didn't look like he was out of shape at camp, it looked like he didn't care, this was out of left field, this is a defenseman who had logged big minutes in the memorial cup run, that's a lot of hockey, hockey under Dale Hunter, there's NO WAY he's out of shape.

Then in Finland this year, there were unexplained healthy scratches....and good play, then healthy scratches.

NONE of this stuff has even come close to being explained, except vague allusions to "attitude" or "conditioning"

And remember, Dal Colle DOES have an NHL game to his credit correct? While Joulevi is the ONLY player in the top 10 of his draft to not play a single game.

The more I think about this the more it fits, Joulevi's story has been bizarre, to the point where the pieces don't fit.

If he's the guy....it fits​

terrible dee

Oct 1, 2017
Yikes, that certainly sounds like a parallel comment.

Personally, I think Juolevi has good odds to make the NHL for sure but I wonder if they could be talking about him. Evan Bouchard was recently interviewed and was asked about a bad trait that Juolevi had. Evan Bouchard mentioned that Juolevi really liked Video games and would play them all the time. I'll try to find the link later.

[Edit link is posted on page 2]

BOOM!

SMOKING GUN!!

I'M SURE ITS F**KING JOULEVI 100%

I KNEW there was something seriously wrong with him in camp last year, the way he carried himself on the ice wasn't bad IT WAS BIZZARE, I always thought, we'd never know why....NO WE KNOW.

The comments from Salo, the healthy scratches, the up and down play, the preposterous allusions to "Conditioning" which made no sense at the time, but with conditioning being nothing more than a euphemism for "Addiction" NOW it all makes sense

ALL the Pieces Fit

Last edited:

terrible dee

Oct 1, 2017
I think it's extremely unprofessional for Jeff Marek to even go down this rabbit hole. Now we have people trying to figure out who this person is, and guys like Juolevi, are having their names dragged around in the mud. What if it were an alcohol, or a drug problem, would Marek be so quick to give details on the player having addiction problems? Some things are just better off left unsaid. All in the name of clicks I guess right?

There's no mud dragging...IT LOOKS LIKE JOULEVI, the evidence is overwhelming,

And if you ask me, this getting out might be the thing that saves his career,

Addictions THRIVE in secret, that's where they live...and do you really think Jim Benning is qualified to handle this situation? I don't.

This news getting out, will force Joulevi, to make the only sane decisions, he'll be forced to go the right way, and with the news being out there no one will co-sign any B.S from him either, and maybe his parents didn't even know?

This could be the luckiest day of Oli Joulevi's life

And let me add that there is no shame in an addiction, not if you are willing to confront it.

I estimate that more people struggle with addiction at some point in their lives than don't, and yes that includes me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Clode

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
He also said that player would not likely play in the NHL and all of those guys seems like that they have really good odds in making it so it must be some lesser known guy like Robert Thomas for example who seems to be struggling in the minors or something.

Lol you mean the guy that legitimately every single scout has said he's a surefire NHLer at this point? Maybe one of the higher risers in the class... Nice

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
So its pretty much confirmed its Juolevi? O man this sucks what a waste of a high pick :(

Last edited:
Reactions: canuckslover10
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad