NHL Proposal was very generous and fair

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crazy Lunatic

dumitru123 said:
Uhm.. you're forgetting something else that's relatively significant... 24 % rollback on top of that... along with the fact that they just tacted on the luxury tax inside the cap they previously suggested. 300,000$ minimum? That helps noone. No one is making that little. If you look at the proposal, the owners made no concessions. That's part of bargaining you know. You have to realize the 6 offers they made at the beginning, they were all better than this one! This not bargaining in good faith.

A 31 million dollar cap with no minimum is worse than a 42 million dollar cap with a 32 million dollar minimum? Happy opposite day!

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
I find it sad how many people believe the owners are offering a great deal.

The fact is, they have offered nothing tangible whatsoever to make the players think about accepting a cap.

krandor

Jan 28, 2005
PepNCheese said:
I find it sad how many people believe the owners are offering a great deal.

The fact is, they have offered nothing tangible whatsoever to make the players think about accepting a cap.

What they offered is not meant to be the best they are willing to accept, but is simply a starting point for negotiations. If you put the best you are willing to accept in your proposal you would have no room to negotiate.

If the PA would accept cap/linkage, they can write just about the rest of the CBA themselves. Just say "we'll accept a cap/linkage but you have to give us X,Y,Z,A" and the NHL will have to give it to them.

X0ssbar

krandor said:
What they offered is not meant to be the best they are willing to accept, but is simply a starting point for negotiations. If you put the best you are willing to accept in your proposal you would have no room to negotiate.

If the PA would accept cap/linkage, they can write just about the rest of the CBA themselves. Just say "we'll accept a cap/linkage but you have to give us X,Y,Z,A" and the NHL will have to give it to them.

Exactly - the NHL isn't going to negotiate against themselves.

I don't know why everyone is getting their panties in a bunch over UFA, Arbitration, etc.

This negotiation starts and ends with the players accepting linkage. Once/if that happens, everything else is negotiable and I personally think the NHL would swing alot of those other negotiation points in the player's favor.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
krandor said:

When are they going to make their best offer ??? July ... November ???

chara

Mar 31, 2004
This is not about fair.

Goodenow is not even considering anything the NHL is proposing. That's how he negotiates....just keep putting out the same deal and wait for the other guy to cave. He trained most of the player agents the same strategy and they've all had huge success over the last 10 years.

Bettman knows this and that's why he has the "8 rule" in effect. Goodenow is used to getting his way and he may very well get it again.

This thing is all about egos, cost linkage/certainty is an after thought. Goodenow has full support of the NHLPA and the agents as he's made them very rich over the last decade.

krandor

Jan 28, 2005
John Flyers Fan said:

The same time the players put forth their best offer - in the negotiating room.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
chara said:
This is not about fair.

Goodenow is not even considering anything the NHL is proposing. That's how he negotiates....just keep putting out the same deal and wait for the other guy to cave.

And this is different from what Bettman is doing...how?

robcav

Mar 9, 2004
krandor said:
The same time the players put forth their best offer - in the negotiating room.

The players have no reason to table another offer, as they would in effect be bargaining against themselves. When the owners come to their senses and try to actually negotiate a deal then perhaps we will see a better offer from the players. As it stands right now it makes no sense for the players to make any offer, knowing that the NHL will adopt with ever "salary drag" proposals the players put forth and add them to their cap, as they added the 24 percent roll back and the luxury tax within the cap. This lockout may go on a long time.

eye

Feb 17, 2003
around the 49th para
Visit site
robcav said:
The players have no reason to table another offer, as they would in effect be bargaining against themselves. When the owners come to their senses and try to actually negotiate a deal then perhaps we will see a better offer from the players. As it stands right now it makes no sense for the players to make any offer, knowing that the NHL will adopt with ever "salary drag" proposals the players put forth and add them to their cap, as they added the 24 percent roll back and the luxury tax within the cap. This lockout may go on a long time.

No it won't. Only until September 2005 when NHL II starts play. The thread starter is right on. The NHL have made some very significant concessions that players seem to be taking for granted.

krandor

Jan 28, 2005
and that is the same reason you won't see many public proposals from the owners with any new concessions in it because if they made any concessions they would immediately be picked up and added to any PA proposal.

However, none of this is about salary rollbacks, arbitration, etc. It is all about the cap and linkage. Until they is resolved, no other terms in these proposals matter. Once that is decided, the side that moves will have the leverage to demand most anything else they want.

So until one side wants to change their cap/linkage position, any other proposals are useless from either side. They need to get back in the room, talk, and figure something on out cap/linkage.

wazee

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
John Flyers Fan said:
When are the players going to make theirs? It would be interesting to see the NHLPA offer a hard cap of 45M without linkage or the 24% rollback. I think the NHL would be very interested. IMO, the owners talk about linkage is designed to convince the players that getting a hard cap is a 'win' for the NHLPA considering the alternative is 'linkage'.

Until the NHLPA accepts the concept of a cap, there is no point in the NHL making an offer.

Ron C.

Jun 16, 2002
Amherst, NY
Visit site
If 2005-06 doesn't start on time, the next generation of players will likely be quite happy to play a game for an average salary of 1.3M (or less) with or without linkage.

Icey

Jan 23, 2005
nyr7andcounting said:
I agree on the whole. The PA needs to give into a linkage of salaries. How that linkage is enforced is up for debate, but they need to realize the concept is a good one. The feeling I have is that whichever side gives in to the others' philosophy first is going to have allll the leverage on the rest of the CBA. If I were the PA, I would say 'fine I will live with linkage, but I want this this this this and this', and the NHL won't have much choice but to give in on those other issues.

The worst thing the players could do is give in to the linkeage concept. They need a cap, but without the linkeage. They link salaries to revenue and the revenue falls (which it will) and all the sudden teams are looking a $15M payrolls and the owners don't care because they are still getting the same percentage of the revenues. There is nothing to encourage an owner or the NHL to GROW the sport in this proposal. How about put some pressure on the owners and the NHL to grow the sport instead of just sitting back and letting the sport go on auto pilot.

Take the linkage out and just put a cap of $40M and I bet the players would consider it.

eye

Feb 17, 2003
around the 49th para
Visit site
mudcrutch79 said:
Why even make this post? It's been explained over and over and over that NHL II is effectively impossible. It's not an option.

What's the point in continuing with this vein of thought?

It's not only possible but likely the exit plan for the owners. It's already been explained that it's not as bizarre of an idea as many of you seem to think.

Timeline:

Late August 2005 Impasse Declared

Early September Players call a strike

Early October = NHL II starting under the terms of latest NHL offer which includes linkage. Linkage at 54% of less than a Billion in League revenues to bring pay scales in line with a combination of replacement players and players that cross the picket line (and there will be many)

Mid-October = NHLPA spend millions and several months or years trying to appeal Imasse decision through the NLRB which is composed of Republican based members that generally support owners vs. employees. NHLPA don't have any legal recourse in BC, Alberta, Ontario or Quebec as the NHLPA is not a certified union in any of these provinces.

Within months the owners will get their way, one way or the other. I suspect they would prefer to get a deal done now but their exit plan is quite clear.

Brent Burns Beard