World Cup: NHL/NHLPA discussing 2024 World Cup

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
If there are 8 teams the Czechs and Germans WILL be there, IIHF rankings not withstanding. If the ranking can't take into account what the Olympics ended up being then they shouldn't be used.

Id prefer a 12 team tournament. Just make it regular (every 4 years) and no gimmicks please.
Switzerland are more deserving of a place than Germany.

Reactions: Buck Nasty

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Maybe. 10 teams then. Add one sacrificial lamb.
Outside the big six, lets have Switzerland, Slovakia, Germany and after that either Denmark or Latvia. I wouldn’t call Denmark or Latvia ”sacrificial lambs” though they are better than that and have really high quality NHL goaltending.

Reactions: heksagon

Tuoppi

Sep 9, 2016
Pori
In sports one of the most important things for me are the underdogs. You shouldn't leave out potential semifinal teams.

pelderhostiga

May 2, 2014
The IIHF World Ranking is "a tool to reflect the long-term quality of the countries' national team programme". As for now, the top 13 countries are in order as follows: Canada, Finland, Russia, United States, Germany, Czechia, Sweden, Switzerland, Slovakia, Latvia, Norway, Denmark and Kazakhstan.

I personally prefer the much more up-to-date and transparent Elo Ratings system. The top 13 countries right now are the same, but in a different order: Finland, United States, Russia, Sweden, Canada, Slovakia, Czechia, Switzerland, Denmark, Germany, Kazakhstan, Norway and Latvia.

Perhaps the fairest way would be to rank the national teams by taking the mean of these two. Then you would only need to decide the number of teams for the tournament. Here is the list:

1. Finland
2. Canada
2. Russia
2. United States
5. Sweden
6. Czechia
7. Germany
8. Slovakia

9. Switzerland
10. Denmark

11. Latvia
12. Norway

13. Kazakhstan

Anything as long as we don't need to see the gimmicks anymore.

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
You really found the 2016 World Cup worse hockey than the last two Olympics.?

I hated the gimmicks but it was VERY good and watchable hockey. These Olympics have been absolute trash hockey.

The name of the game is emotional investment, not quality of hockey.
Why do you think the WJC is so popular despite the quality of play being 10x worse than these recent olympics?

The World Cup gimmick teams were stupid and did not fit with the spirit of international hockey. And I suspect partly why the 2016 World Cup was a ratings and revenue disaster for the NHL. Nobody wants to watch that garbage as opposed to the recent olympics where people in Finland were celebrating like crazy in the streets.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
You really found the 2016 World Cup worse hockey than the last two Olympics.?

I hated the gimmicks but it was VERY good and watchable hockey. These Olympics have been absolute trash hockey.
It's not about the quality of hockey. World Cup 2016 was a farce because you had many countries who didn't get an opportunity, such as germany. You also had some ridiculous gimmick teams. I did not care about that tournament at all. Do you also watch all star games because the players are good or?

Ivo

Dec 29, 2008
Rotterdam, NL
Many problems could have been avoided, if Czechoslovakia never split up. 6-teams or 8-teams would both work better in an alternate universe with Czechoslovakia still together.

Buck Nasty

Feb 19, 2022
Ottawa
The name of the game is emotional investment, not quality of hockey.
Why do you think the WJC is so popular despite the quality of play being 10x worse than these recent olympics?

The World Cup gimmick teams were stupid and did not fit with the spirit of international hockey. And I suspect partly why the 2016 World Cup was a ratings and revenue disaster for the NHL. Nobody wants to watch that garbage as opposed to the recent olympics where people in Finland were celebrating like crazy in the streets.

Yes. I agree with you that there was no investment in the outcome. I am Canadian and barely cared when we won. Not like other Olympics, World Cups or Canada Cups when we were all ecstatic when we won.

However, the discussion was about the quality of Hockey. It was probably the best hockey tournament ever in terms of quality of competition. It was very watchable hockey. Lots of other problems.

Buck Nasty

Feb 19, 2022
Ottawa
It's not about the quality of hockey. World Cup 2016 was a farce because you had many countries who didn't get an opportunity, such as germany. You also had some ridiculous gimmick teams. I did not care about that tournament at all. Do you also watch all star games because the players are good or?

If you read my other posts you would know that I hated the gimmicks as much as anyone else and didn't care for the tournament.

I also don't care for these Olympics. They are a trash event with trash hockey. I'm glad you are all happy in Europe, I really mean that. But it was an embarrassing level of hockey for the importance people give the games.

The 2016 World Cup was not played with the intensity of an All Star game. It was REALLY high level and entertaining hockey with some unforgivable format flaws. On balance I preferred the WCH. But both sucked overall.

dryz

Feb 10, 2011
Czechia
So NHL proposed that one group would be played in Prague but Czechs are against it because we are hosting WC few months after it.

BigBadBoar

Dec 20, 2017
Pardubice
So NHL proposed that one group would be played in Prague but Czechs are against it because we are hosting WC few months after it.

So, if any people from abroad were still looking for an example of how the Czech Hockey Association is a bunch of incompetent idiots, now they've got one. The slight hope is that many Czech fans are already letting them know how p***d off they are, so maybe those idiots might change their absurd opinion.

The good news to hear is that no gimmick teams ale conceived for the tournament, just regular national teams.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad