World Cup: NHL/NHLPA discussing 2024 World Cup

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
The World Championships aren't going to take place every four years, that wouldn't be compatible with the lower levels of competition in particular.

OskarOskarius

Jan 7, 2019
The World Championships aren't going to take place every four years, that wouldn't be compatible with the lower levels of competition in particular.
Why would the NHL care? It’s not like minor league players would play in the WHC.

heksagon

Jul 27, 2010
Finland
You're making a strong argument why the NHL should avoid Europe with such a tournament.

Nobody in North America is gonna pay money to see team Germany get smashed.

Quality on ice product is a top concern for the NHL.

I'd argue, watching a team getting smashed is more of a gimmick as there's zero intention of watching competitive hockey.

Again you're conflating team north America with team Europe etc. Not having McDavid and Crosby together defeated the whole purpose of the thing.

Do you think anyone cares if team Germany shows up, people are not gonna buy tickets to a 1 sided match. Team Europe was at worst pointless, at best top tier talent. Team germany is automatically bottom tier talent. Not to mention the issue of having non union members beating up NHL stars.

A world cup is a hard thing to promote, it takes time to build up tradition, but the payoff is massive.

I think that's a bit disrespectful to Team Germany. Just having one of the best centers (Draisaitl) AND defenders (Seider) in the literal World disqualifies them from being bottom tier talent. Yeah, they lack the depth of the top countries, and they'd most likely lose, but it wouldn't automatically be a blowout. Have people forgotten that Switzerland has beaten Canada in a best on best tournament? Upsets might happen, and that is one of the most exciting things about sports to me. In general, I feel like people underrate what Germany and Switzerland can bring in a best on best, with good coaching and a lot of effort they are able to pull of upsets or at least hard fought close games.

In a one game elimination tournament not all the teams need to be of equal level on paper to make it exciting. Nobody cares about a Team Europe, but the Swiss care a lot about their NT etc.

Canuckistani

Mar 15, 2014
Toronto
This is my hope as well.

And why would the NHL/NHLPA want teams made up of non-NHLers participating anyway? Simultaneously excluding stars like Kopitar just because their national teams aren't competitive.

They should also have the top seven team in each conference qualify for the NHL payoffs and have an eighth team made up of the best players from the other teams that didn't qualify.

Why exclude players like McDavid just because their club team isn't competitive?

Reactions: Czechboy

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I've said it should be top 8 by ranking... Czechs and Germans just got blown out of Olympics... they might not be Top 8 anymore after the Olympics.

Mr Kanadensisk

May 13, 2005
Six teams (CAN,USA,FIN,SWE,RUS,CZE).
Everyone plays each other once, top two teams have a best of 3 game final
Host city of Stockholm

Mr Kanadensisk

May 13, 2005
next time have a host city on the eastern side of NA. Start the games with only euro teams at mid-day so they will be on in primetime in Europe

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Six teams (CAN,USA,FIN,SWE,RUS,CZE).
Everyone plays each other once, top two teams have a best of 3 game final
Host city of Stockholm

would love that. Not sure why Toronto thinks they get to host it in their city all the time.

BMann

May 18, 2006
Watford
I think that's a bit disrespectful to Team Germany. Just having one of the best centers (Draisaitl) AND defenders (Seider) in the literal World disqualifies them from being bottom tier talent. Yeah, they lack the depth of the top countries, and they'd most likely lose, but it wouldn't automatically be a blowout. Have people forgotten that Switzerland has beaten Canada in a best on best tournament? Upsets might happen, and that is one of the most exciting things about sports to me. In general, I feel like people underrate what Germany and Switzerland can bring in a best on best, with good coaching and a lot of effort they are able to pull of upsets or at least hard fought close games.

In a one game elimination tournament not all the teams need to be of equal level on paper to make it exciting. Nobody cares about a Team Europe, but the Swiss care a lot about their NT etc.

Forty years ago Finland were fairly weak, Sweden were just emerging as a competitive team. All teams take time to develop. Programmes are going well in Germany, Denmark, Hungary and nascent ones in several other nations. We need a WC to make sure national sides can have aspirations as to where they want to be in two decades. It's been a shame that domestic development has been penalized for example Denmark that when they need their best players the NHL won't release them for qualification.

The likes of Draisaitl, Stutzle and Seider for instance may well not be available for Germany at a WC thanks to the NHL which is detrimental to Germany going forward and two fingers to all the hard work federations and clubs in those countries do. They take the youngsters for a pittance as well.

Reactions: heksagon and Tmu84

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
It's Bettman so Im sure we'll get this:

Group A

Europe
Scandinavia
Slavic Team
Spengler Cup Champions

Group B

Canada
USA
Norh America U-23
Arizona Coyotes

takimaki

Apr 14, 2010
Tim Hortons

My takeaway - they haven't even talked to the IIHF yet.lol

If the IIHF is not a part of the new World Cup, it’s not a real replacement for hockey at the Olympics - It’s just an NHL tournament.

If Bettman really wanted to screw the IOC, he’d get it right this time.

Raimo Sillanpää

Mar 11, 2003
Espoo, Finland
Ideally the World Cup would rotate, be a single max 2-city event and every second time in North America and every second time Europe.
Otherwise it’s not a World Cup, it’s the NHL international Cup. And home town winners should have an asterisk next to their name

all other major sports, football, rugby, cricket, have a World Cup every four years and the host nation rotates

AdvancedPressure

Jan 19, 2021
Well, if they do, I hope they do it right this time. No made up teams, no gimmicks, just straight up best on best action.

Buck Nasty

Feb 19, 2022
Ottawa
Absolutely no gimmick teams otherwise it’ll be even less watchable than the NHL less Olympics.

That 2016 edition was a complete disaster and just a circus act of a tournament, I’d rather watch the Spengler than a best of 3 with “leftover Europe”.

You really found the 2016 World Cup worse hockey than the last two Olympics.?

I hated the gimmicks but it was VERY good and watchable hockey. These Olympics have been absolute trash hockey.

BMacLeafs

Feb 20, 2022
You really found the 2016 World Cup worse hockey than the last two Olympics.?

I hated the gimmicks but it was VERY good and watchable hockey. These Olympics have been absolute trash hockey.

This.

The 2016 World Cup shows that the NHL got it right. All NHL players, no scrubs. The best on the best. I'd like to see this tournament every four years and I know the rest of the hockey world would as well.

Buck Nasty

Feb 19, 2022
Ottawa
would love that. Not sure why Toronto thinks they get to host it in their city all the time.
I don't think Toronto does. Its the NHL. It makes me sick to say nice things about Toronto but they are the biggest hockey city in the world. Big ticket revenue in Toronto. They could support 3 or 4 NHL teams.

Buck Nasty

Feb 19, 2022
Ottawa
I've said it should be top 8 by ranking... Czechs and Germans just got blown out of Olympics... they might not be Top 8 anymore after the Olympics.

If there are 8 teams the Czechs and Germans WILL be there, IIHF rankings not withstanding. If the ranking can't take into account what the Olympics ended up being then they shouldn't be used.

Id prefer a 12 team tournament. Just make it regular (every 4 years) and no gimmicks please.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad