NHL, NHLPA begin planning 2024 World Cup UPD pushed to Feb 2025

joelef

Nov 22, 2011
Baseball is a terrible sport for international play. 1-game rounds are terrible reflections of who the better team is, but you would never have a 5 or even 3 game series during it.

You also have fake teams like Italy & Israel made up entirely of Americans in it, it gives it a very exhibition feel.
Well then the World Cup must be an exhibition too since teams like Morocco are all from France or how irelans 1994 team was made up all englishmen

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
Well then the World Cup must be an exhibition too since teams like Morocco are all from France or how irelans 1994 team was made up all englishmen
Big difference to me between representing when your parents were born, giving you citizenship, and representing where your grandparents or even great grandparents were.

And in the Israeli team's case, I don't think any had any true connections to the country beyond being Jewish and having the "right to return."

joelef

Nov 22, 2011
Big difference to me between representing when your parents were born, giving you citizenship, and representing where your grandparents or even great grandparents were.

And in the Israeli team's case, I don't think any had any true connections to the country beyond being Jewish and having the "right to return."
Italy has very left ninet citizenship laws for diaspora. That why they alway use la

That an Israeli citizenship problem . Every Jew is entitled to Israeli citizenship.

Italy soccer teams have always used Argentinians and Uruguayan players of Italian descent.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
Baseball is a terrible sport for international play. 1-game rounds are terrible reflections of who the better team is, but you would never have a 5 or even 3 game series during it.

You also have fake teams like Italy & Israel made up entirely of Americans in it, it gives it a very exhibition feel.
I wouldn't say it is terrible. You have North and Central America. Venezuela (not sure it is popular enough in any other country in South America. Carribean and Asian countries. Obviously, the issue is the lack of teams from Europe and Africa. But, I did agree on the lunacy of Piazza playing for Italy.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
Italy has very left ninet citizenship laws for diaspora. That why they alway use la

That an Israeli citizenship problem . Every Jew is entitled to Israeli citizenship.

Italy soccer teams have always used Argentinians and Uruguayan players of Italian descent.
I understand that, I am Jewish myself. I rooted for the team and will do so again, but their jerseys should really read "American Jews", not "Israel".

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
I wouldn't say it is terrible. You have North and Central America. Venezuela (not sure it is popular enough in any other country in South America. Carribean and Asian countries. Obviously, the issue is the lack of teams from Europe and Africa. But, I did agree on the lunacy of Piazza playing for Italy.
The participant angle is less of a gripe for me than the format.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
IN Feb 2025 most countries will be gearing of for the stretch drives for their season for their . Playoffs start early March(usually)

For me the NHL--to get European teams to release the players--have the games in Mid Jan

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
IN Feb 2025 most countries will be gearing of for the stretch drives for their season for their . Playoffs start early March(usually)

For me the NHL--to get European teams to release the players--have the games in Mid Jan
Whole point of the mid-season tournament is to try to capitalize on the sports deadzone, from the Super Bowl to March Madness. No way they're going against the NFL Playoffs in January.

Reactions: Rob

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

Marek & Friedman talk about McDavid's comments lamenting lack of best on best tournament and the Russian/Belarus issues. Walsh will have his first presser soon, and it could be telling what he pushes for.

The NHL may have to do a "mostly best on best" without Russia. Even if the Ukrainian war ends "today", it may be a while before European federations would accept playing against Russian players. So even if they go with fall 2024 or 2025 for the World Cup, Russia may still be persona non grata and European federations would not play them.

Reactions: garbageteam

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
Of course it is.

This is the business board. NHL is going to do what's best for business.
Is it the best for business? A legit World Cup or best-on-best could have a business case for the NHL. Probably more indirectly than short-term milking cash with an inferior product infrequently slapped together.

Major4Boarding

Unfamiliar Moderator
Jan 30, 2009
South of Heaven
Only NHL players just seems ridiculous to me. Takes the starch out of a best-on-best format that it would not include other players worldwide

To me it seems it would be like drinking nonalcoholic beer

Reactions: jigglysquishy

joelef

Nov 22, 2011
Only NHL players just seems ridiculous to me. Takes the starch out of a best-on-best format that it would not include other players worldwide

To me it seems it would be like drinking nonalcoholic beer
Don’t know why they’re so opposed to having wbc type nationallly requirements. You would have lots more then six teams .

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
They’re banking on Russia to be finished with it’s fiasco to allow them official re-entry but it’s unrealistic at this point, that and the European circuits will be winding down in Feb-March. It’s still dumb to have only NHL players when they’ve had no problem featuring players from other leagues in previous renditions. If it’s only NHL/AHL players with no Russia they’ll probably have another Team Europe squad replace them.

So 6 teams would be Canada, US, Sweden, Finland, Czechia, Europe

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
European federations won't be too happy if the NHL is planning to operate fake national teams on its own.
Well there is nothing they can really do about. I don’t think it is a good thing and will undercut a tournament (especially if it is just a knockout tournament over a weekend in lieu of the ASG), but the NHL and NHLPA will do what they want. The IIHF has no authority over them.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Well there is nothing they can really do about. I don’t think it is a good thing and will undercut a tournament (especially if it is just a knockout tournament over a weekend in lieu of the ASG), but the NHL and NHLPA will do what they want. The IIHF has no authority over them.
They can ban or otherwise permanently exclude any players that take part, for example.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
They can ban or otherwise permanently exclude any players that take part, for example.
So they are cut off their nose to spite their face when it comes to future NHL participation in the Olympics and World Championships?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad